The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 17, 2017, 12:10 AM   #1
'88Scrat

M1917 Eddystone w/SA stock?

Been posting a lot here lateley...

I picked up an Eddystone M1917 for a decent price over the weekend and while the barrel has a date of 7-18 with the proper 5 groove left twist and the part numbers all match I can't find a mark anywhere on the stock. Serial number on receiver is in the 800,000 range which puts its completion date in August of 1918. Condition of the metal is excellent though I wonder if it wasn't refinished at some point.

The stock looks to good to be an original and is marked E AN on one side with what looks like the Springfield Armory Inc. (as in Geneseo, IL) crossed cannon logo about an inch in front of that. The stock is beautiful so I'm not complaining but there is no way it is original and I'd just like to know what I have.
Old November 17, 2017, 10:25 AM   #2
OzeanJaeger

It should, of course, have an SA stock. It sounds like it's marked right for an original. Why couldn't you have a high condition original? Because you got too good a deal on it? If it was restocked with the correct one from the original SA, then I don't see what it matters. They're not serialized, and there is no way to know without providence for that rifle, and it is just in excellent condition. An expert can tell if it's been refinished, but it sounds to me like it's simply what it looks like, an excellent condition rifle that didn't see the trenches for whatever reason. You know, they made over a million of those rifles, so there are quite a few that are I'm really great condition.

I think it was just a great pickup with the info you've given.
Old November 17, 2017, 10:37 AM   #3
OzeanJaeger

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...17-us-enfield/
Old November 17, 2017, 12:55 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...that didn't see the trenches..." That'd be most milsurps.
Springfield Armory Inc. has never made a copy of the P-17. A crossed cannon logo is more likely a U.S. Ordnance Dept. acceptance stamp like the one found on M1 Carbines.
Near the bottom.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/stocks.html
Old November 17, 2017, 01:11 PM   #5
Jim Watson

I googled around and did not find an instance of an Ordnance "wheel" stamp on a 1917, but I think it likelier that it got within reach of a reissue inspector with an Ordnance stamp than Springfield Armory Inc. ever had anything to do with it.
Old November 17, 2017, 02:30 PM   #6
'88Scrat

T. O'Heir, that's it man. The crossed cannons on the website the very same as on my M1917.

If I remember I'll take some pictures tonight and try to get them uploaded.
Old November 17, 2017, 08:07 PM   #7
kraigwy

I have a M1927 made in 1918. Sucker shoots great in slow fire. Extremely accurate.

Problem is its a wrestling match in rapid fire with the cock on closing bolt. Also if I get in a hurry thinking I'm going to run out of time, I found my self getting on one of the ears protecting the sight instead of the front sight.

I would like to have vintage adjustments too though thats not that much of a problem shooting 200 yards in the CMP GSP matches.

Still a good gun though.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; November 17, 2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old November 18, 2017, 01:23 PM   #8
RC20

We need to break some things down here and the first advice is to get Ferris book on the Model of 1917. One of the best done books on any Mil Surplus rifle.

Is this an Eddystone aka Model of 1917 stamped Eddystone and not Remington or Winchester?

If the stock is marked with symbols, then its not the original stock, not a big deal but that's an indicator that it went through re-arsenal.

The Stock should have a Letter stamped in the very front vertical surface. E, W or R.

If the color is not a dark blue aka black, its been that days version of Parkerized. Common for the guns to have gone through that.

Parts while they may have numbers, for the most part the ID is by letters, W, E, R with some other odd ones from latter made parts and those match the mfg first letter.

I do have a front sight blade that only had numbers, those are not matching number they simply are inspector stamps and indicate (usually 100%) a E, R or W plant inspector (they did not move around).

Barrel dates and receiver dates often were months apart so that within norm.

One of the key tests on those guns is to either get a Throat Erosion gauge (also Muzzle were known as MW and TE) from Steven Mathews of do a bullet test for COAL.

Some had a lot of blanks shot through them and eroded the Throat.

There are a lot of parts, 4 or 5 on the bolt as I recall that have to have the right Letter on them, but plate, the flip open cover, 3 on the rear sight.

Release lever, the ejector, trigger, floor plate, the box for the rounds etc.

Safety alone has 3 I believe. One is a bugger to get to and ID. I would leave that one alone but if all other letter matches and or the right factory numbers, then that one would have to be accessed. I have only done one, I doubt it would be replaced and the rest of the parts OEM.

If can be if someone put together a rifle to be OEM on parts but did it with parts other than the ones that came on it. Somewhat popular.

Some more history on it. Have to get to the other computer for my in depth links.

http://ww3.rediscov.com/spring/VFPCG...ATABASE=822208,
Old November 18, 2017, 03:03 PM   #9
RC20

This is a good starter on the parts and markings. I have other links and some PDF I can send.

http://m1903.com/m1917markings.htm

Missing is the safety lock plunger, single most obscure part on the guns though the front sight can be a tough one as well as it has several parts to it.

Even the rear sight tab is a marked part.

Last edited by RC20; November 18, 2017 at 03:30 PM.