The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

View Poll Results: What do you believe will happen with the Hearing Protection Act
It will pass this calendar year 1 1.67%
It will pass within the next 12 months 10 16.67%
Not dead but on life support 38 63.33%
It's dead after the Steve Scaliese incident 13 21.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 4, 2017, 12:16 PM   #101
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
You are not going to be able to trade anything for anything. The best folks can do is circle the wagons and hold off on any new draconian laws that ban specific items.
I agree completely, There is no such thing as middle ground, there is no compromise because nothing really comes back our way.. The gun control groups idea of compromise is we wanna ban X Y Z, AGREE to it!

It's like a mugger saying your wallet or your life (and I'll just take the wallet off your corpse).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
Regulating bump fire type gadgets might not be practical to oppose. Do folks want to fight over that?
The sad thing is I see a lot of people ready to feed this to the anti's like some sort of snack.

I think we HAVE to fight everything at every turn because once it's gone it's gone and we're not getting anything in return.

If the 2a is a house maybe the bump stocks are the welcome mat on the porch.. some will say oh well it makes them happy it's just a mat.

Ya but it's less you had yesterday why give it away?
Even if you have no intention of ever owning one (I don't because I think they're crude and cost to much to shoot) maybe tomorrow it'll be something you do care about.
Old October 4, 2017, 12:34 PM   #102
rickyrick

Quote:
How?
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/03/opinio...on0844AMVODtop

Just one of many out there

Many top personalities and politicians have said things like this in the last couple of days.
Also, one party is saying everyone in the other party is racist. So there’s that.
Join groups from your opposing party and you’ll see what they are saying, planning and doing.
I’m a left leaning moderate that happens to be a second amendment supporter. I well know.
Old October 4, 2017, 12:55 PM   #103
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSixpack View Post
I agree completely, There is no such thing as middle ground, there is no compromise because nothing really comes back our way.. The gun control groups idea of compromise is we wanna ban X Y Z, AGREE to it!

It's like a mugger saying your wallet or your life (and I'll just take the wallet off your corpse).
There isn't really any compromise because any ban/restriction is a win for the anti-gun types and a loss for the pro-gun types. With your wallet analogy, the anti-gun types make it sound like the pro-gun types get a win if the mugger (anti-gun type) only takes a portion of the money from the person's wallet (pro-gun type).
Old October 4, 2017, 01:23 PM   #104
carguychris

IMHO this thread is threatening to go off the rails with the bumpfire stock discussion; this topic really deserves its own thread.

That said, I was driving towards Glenn's conclusion: I believe that there is no realistic possibility of a bumpfire-for-silencer trade, and I don't think it's smart to pursue it. I think that HRC's remarks (in the ABC News story I linked) are intended to cut this idea off at the knees by placing the HPA front-and-center and prominently framing the deregulation of silencers as unacceptable. I interpret this more as a warning for members of her own party than as a battle call against the GOP.

I would prefer for the HPA to be temporarily buried than to risk the possible consequences of letting anti-gun legislators monkey with the NFA. If we have to hold our noses and accept a bumpfire stock ban, so be it; that issue can be dealt with separately.
Old October 4, 2017, 06:20 PM   #105
2damnold4this

Quote:
Are you talking about adding rapid-fire devices like bumpfire stocks to the NFA?

Yes. In exchange for taking suppressors off the NFA.
Old October 4, 2017, 06:24 PM   #106
JoeSixpack

NEVER happen, They was calling for this bills death before we even found out about the bump stocks.

You'll get nothing in exchange, That's an even bigger pipe dream this this bill to start with.
Old October 10, 2017, 07:56 PM   #107
bandanabandit1

I think it will make it, might be rough and not by a landslide. But I'm hoping it does get the greenlight.
Old October 10, 2017, 08:11 PM   #108
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandanabandit1
I think it will make it, might be rough and not by a landslide. But I'm hoping it does get the greenlight.
The GOP has only a 52-vote majority in the Senate. 60 votes are normally required to end debate and no Dem is going to vote for the HPA and risk HRC and DiFi's wrath. It's seriously doubtful that the GOP is going to pursue the nuclear option over a matter as borderline-unpopular as silencers when only 2 defections could derail the proposal, and perhaps more crucially, when the current state of political polarization gives gun-rights supporters no realistic alternative at the polls—IOW most pro-gun folks are going vote GOP whether or not the HPA moves forward.

To quote David Mitchell on the Helivets, "IT'S DEAD."

Check back after a couple of House election cycles.