The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 30, 2016, 04:52 PM   #1
jonny

Trying to identify this Winchester

Hi All!

First...let me take a moment to thank all of the Vets on this forum. We owe you everything...

My uncle past several years ago, leaving a large gun collection. Several family members received guns. I have two that I think someone might want. They have been sitting in my closet for years...and I think it's such a waste.

I was hoping you could help me identify a Winchester Model 94-30 WCF.
SN# 1496368.

I have searched the links included on these pages...but I can't find that serial number?

Can someone help?

As...can you tell me a reasonable price for it...and where's a good place to sell it. I would rate it Fair to Good condition, as the Left side of the stock have a groove in it.

Pictures:
http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/dc...ary/Winchester

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/dc...01266.jpg.html

I'm hoping someone can make good use of this rifle.

Sincerely,

Dwayne
Old May 30, 2016, 08:34 PM   #2
gyvel

Interestingly enough, your serial number falls between 1942 and 1949. 42 started at 1287469, and 49 started at 1500001. The numbers in between are not known for some reason. (At least in my reference book.)

If I recall. however, Harry Truman was presented with #1500000.

(Your photobucket links didn't work for me.)
SIFE
Old May 30, 2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Hawg

You need to copy the IMG code on photobucket.
Old May 30, 2016, 09:37 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

" The numbers in between are not known for some reason."

The reason is simple enough. Winchester stopped civilian production during WWII, but because of the way they recorded serial numbers, they didn't know the exact number that was the last made. When they resumed production, they jumped the numbers up to an even starting number that they knew would not duplicate a pre-war number.

Jim
Old May 30, 2016, 10:23 PM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
The reason is simple enough. Winchester stopped civilian production during WWII, but because of the way they recorded serial numbers, they didn't know the exact number that was the last made. When they resumed production, they jumped the numbers up to an even starting number that they knew would not duplicate a pre-war number.
If that's the case, which is logical and was suggested in the reference, then the OP must have one of the very last guns made in 1942, no?

I'm pretty sure Truman got 15000000, but I don't know what year they presented it to him. It would be one gun before the first gun of 1949.
SIFE
Old May 31, 2016, 09:56 AM   #6
jonny

Pictures

Hey ALL!

Thanks for the quick responses. Let me try the photo links again:

[IMG]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/dcarter4/embed/slideshow/Winchester"></iframe>[/IMG]

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/dc...ary/Winchester

If you can see these pictures, can you give me an idea of the value and where you recommend I offer it for sale?

TIA

Dwayne
Old May 31, 2016, 11:30 AM   #7
mapsjanhere

Standard features, nice finish, but damage on the forearm wood. $500 if you want to sell, $700 if you're willing to wait for the right guy.
Look at gunbroker and see what kind of offers people are getting, don't be deceived by $1200 asking prices.
Old August 18, 2016, 05:31 PM   #8
jumpingeezer

I have one of those wartime rifles myself, SN# 1307383. I was told by a fairly reliable source that these rifles command a premium above the usual Model 94of the same era.

It seems as though the forearm on your rifle is the only thing that would keep you from getting a really good price for it. You might look into a repair or replacement before putting it on the market.
Old September 6, 2016, 02:43 PM   #9
Pathfinder45

Keep it original and hunt deer with it. Got Silvertips?
Old September 10, 2016, 08:04 PM   #10
jmorris

This is the OP's rifle.

Old October 6, 2016, 02:41 PM   #11
Pathfinder45

Well, it has what is commonly called the , "long-wood forearm", which I consider a plus, even if it needs a little repair. In the picture it looks like it has the, "flat-band", type of barrel-band behind the front sight; a very minor negative to me esthetically. One of the features that these pictures don't show is the top surface of the hammer. To me, that's an important detail that shouldn't be overlooked. At some point in the late 1940's, the hammer surface was changed from a checkered hammer to a serrated hammer, very shortly before the changeover to short-forearm wood. If that Winchester has a serrated hammer, then I would guess for a late 1948-1950 date of manufacture. If it is checkered it argues for an earlier date. Another point of interest is whether of not it has the Winchester logo stamped onto the upper tang surface behind the hammer. I'm guessing not, as I have seen many of these, "Wartime" carbines that lacked it. I have one from about 1942, serial # about 1,29X,XXX, that has it. Many others with somewhat later numbers do not. I'm not sure if Winchester completely halted production of the model 94 after 1942 or not. And if they did stop making them during the war, when did they resume? 1946? It's probably impossible to know for sure what year the OP's carbine was made, but the features offer clues to narrow it down. With that high of a number, I would think that 1948 would be most likely. I'm no expert, but I really like Winchesters and am fairly observant of them.
Old January 3, 2017, 08:29 PM   #12
1BadF350

According to the database here, Jonny's rifle was made in 1948
Jumpingeezers rifle is 1941

http://winchestercollector.org/dates/