The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 22, 2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Dc777

Benelli ultralight value?

In a partial trade for one of my atvs someone has offered me a benelli ultralight 12 guage. He says that its worth $1300. I did a search on gunbroker but there aren't many auctions for that gun, there aren't any bids on the auctions but they start in the $1400 range. What is a fair value of the gun. I assume that it is used.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 23, 2014, 03:10 PM   #2
BigJimP

Value is hard to say.....but a couple of points...

Benelli Ultralight model is not very popular among sporting clays, skeet or Trap shooters.../ they come in 24" or 26" barrels / and in 28ga , 20ga and 12ga....and they weigh from 5 - 6 lbs....

Many of us - as experienced shotgun shooters - find a gun that short and light to not be very functional / with light and short guns - most of us tend to "slap" at targets or live birds ...vs making a "smooth" shot with a good follow-thru...
-------
Benelli in general has some light guns....even their Super Sport model, which is a good all around clays gun ...with a 30" barrel in a 12ga is only around 7 lbs...and the legth ( at 30") helps smooth out that gun swing as well...where many of us like shotguns up around 8 lbs - for good swing characteristics.
--------
I think the Ultra Light models in my area are selling new for around $ 1400 ....and I can't imagine used, it would be worth more than $ 800...and personally a gun that light and short - has little, if any value to me personally... I wouldn't want it at all...not even as an entry level gun for a young grandkid or something....

But it does have value ...if someone wants it .../ you should really check with gunshops in your area...gun values vary a lot with different areas of the country ...
Old January 24, 2014, 04:57 AM   #3
mete

Ultralights are made for hunting where you do lots of walking but little shooting.Not much use for anything else.
Old January 24, 2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Jim Watson

A friend uses a Benelli Ultralight for pheasant hunting and thinks it is wonderful. And she gets her birds.

I agree that a longer and heavier gun will swing smoother and kick less when shooting long races on clay pigeons... and not having to walk across a county worth of corn fields.
Old January 24, 2014, 06:47 PM   #5
COK

I have one I use for grouse hunting in 20 ga and enjoy it very much for that purpose . I got it used but basically NIB for half that price a few years ago , the local store wanted to move their inventory at the time so it was a pretty good deal for me.
Old January 25, 2014, 05:38 PM   #6
ejb69

I have one in 12ga. I use it for grouse hunting, they work well for that. As others said its not the best choice for much else. I paid $1200 for mine, brand new. A used one may be worth a $1000.