The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 01:20 AM   #26
Gbro

Well this shortage sure is a pain in the back side, but as much as I would like to see .22's back on the shelf, I today would still pass on Remington bulk!
And on another thread that is closed I asked if anyone could remember what kind of prices were on a 20 count pack of .22 LR back in the SIXTY's?
I posted .40 cents but I really just cannot remember
Old January 23, 2013, 10:25 AM   #27
aarondhgraham

The real hoarders bought BEFORE the crunch.

Quote:
No. The real hoarders bought BEFORE the crunch.
People who are buying now are reselling or panic buying.
How very true!

After the shortage of .22 LR in the spring/summer of 2009,,,
I started buying .22 ammo whenever I got the chance.

Every time I went to Wal Mart I would check their ammunition case,,,
If I had a 20-dollar bill I didn't have earmarked for something,,,
I bought a 550 round bulk pack of Federal,,,
Or a few packs of CCI Mini-Mag.

Over the next four years I amassed quite an amount of rimfire ammo,,,
I tried to convince my friends to do the same to no avail,,,
Now I'm the bad guy because I have lots of ammo,,,
And I refuse to sell any of it to them.

I did give one bulk pack to a lady friend,,,
She was scheduled to take her carry permit class,,,
She has a Bersa Thunder 22 and had run out of ammunition.

For her and that purpose I made an exception.

When rimfire ammo starts to come back later this spring,,,
I'll be doing the same thing as before,,,
Stocking up while it's available.

I feel for those who are running out of rimfire ammo,,,
But the past should have been a lesson to them.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 23, 2013, 02:30 PM   #28
vito

I stopped at Cabela's in Hoffman Estates, IL today and the shelves were well stocked with boxes of 525 Federal 22 lr. A bit pricey at $23.99 a box, and with 10% sales tax it comes to just over $0.05 a round. A far cry from a $10 box of 500 available not very long ago, but at least still available.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:58 PM   #29
PotteryPal

I went to a gun show last weekend and bought a SIG Mosquito for my wife. Near the end of the interaction I asked the seller if he by chance had any 22LR ammo for sale.

He paused, looked under the table and pulled out 200rds and said "I'll sell it to you for a special price"

And then he said with a smile and another $20/100rds.

I paused, looked at my wife, looked back at the seller and said politely "No thanks! I'll wait for the nonsense to pass".

I can see thinks getting a bit worse before it gets better.

Old January 23, 2013, 06:04 PM   #30
HK_Flo

I just backorderd a mess of wolf match from brownells. Lets see how long it takes.

It's "expensive" for .22lr, but still way cheaper than any of my other guns!

I also ordered a selection of really expensive match ammo from midway that was in stock. Going to have to do some benchrest tests to see if it makes any difference.
Old January 23, 2013, 07:24 PM   #31
Pathfinder45

We've all had fair warning.......

If you can't find the ammo you need, don't blame others. It's your own fault. This all has happened before, fairly recently. And while the current shortage likely will pass, I feel that there's a better than even chance that a day will come when the only way you'll get some of what you need will be to trade with those who got theirs when you coulda, shoulda, woulda, didn't get yours. We all knew this was gonna happen again. Didn't we? And, it will happen again. Someday, I expect, permanently. Science Fiction: One day, 873 years from now, a farmer plows a field. His plow sticks into something that feels different than the last rock his plow encountered and his horses stop. He angles the horses to one side in an attempt to free the plow. Urging them on, the plow pulls a strange box to the surface. Inside are quantities of strange old brass cylindrical objects with lead plugs in one end. And other strange devices..... Artifacts of an advanced civilization, long, long ago. Who were those people and what could this mean? This be big magic....... By the following year, he has another man plowing for him.
Old January 23, 2013, 08:39 PM   #32
22-rimfire

I have always kept a good cache of 22LR ammo even before the ammo shortage four years ago. My rule of thumb is to buy twice what I shoot up. There is currently a shortage and it has been caused by the same reasons as 4 years ago. I need x and if I can, I buy 2 or 3x because the last time I went to buy ammo, there was none.

It is the centerfire ammo that is more expensive to build up a cache.
Old January 23, 2013, 08:56 PM   #33
Joe_Pike

Quote:
And all of these hoarders are making it impossible for the rest of us to go and get some ammo just to shoot at the range. Thanks guys.
I planned ahead and have been doing so for fiver years. Now those that didn't plan ahead are irritated at those that did. As the old saying goes, "Your lack of planning is not my emergency".

I did buy two 325 round boxes of Federal Auto Match today for $19.99 each. I've never seen that before. I don't know anything about it, so, I may have overpaid.

Last edited by Joe_Pike; January 24, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old January 23, 2013, 09:40 PM   #34
Puddle

Quote:
I swear I could make a rubberband gun, paint it black, put a pistol grip and a forward grip on it and people would buy it too....
Great. So now it is going to be impossible to buy rubber bands at Staples.

Old January 23, 2013, 11:36 PM   #35
Colorado308shooter

Over the course of November, hitting all the Cabela's sales....I was able to amass about 4000 rounds of .22 ammo.

That should last me close to a year.

The timing could not have been better....a month before Newtown happened.
Old January 24, 2013, 12:43 AM   #36
Pathfinder45

Federal Auto-Match

Joe, that Federal Auto-Match is better than most of the copper plated stuff in my experience. I think you'll be happy with it and wish you'd bought more. There has been some pretty disappointing rimfire ammo the last several years. Quality is always worth more.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:25 AM   #37
TheNocturnus

To all of you saying that it is our fault for not planning ahead, are you kidding me? My personal ammo needs are for .45 acp ammo. I have just got my first .45 and never had any reason to purchase .45 ammo until now. So it's my fault for not stocking up on ammo for a caliber I didn't even own?

Makes sense...

Although I do have plenty of .22lr ammo.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 24, 2013, 02:22 AM   #38
Pathfinder45

Make Sense.......

OK, TheNocturnus; you're excused for the .45........this time. But when you get the chance, do your duty...... Excused or not, what good is a gun without bullets?
Old January 24, 2013, 02:40 AM   #39
TheNocturnus

Quote:
OK, TheNocturnus; you're excused for the .45........this time. But when you get the chance, do your duty...... Excused or not, what good is a gun without bullets?
Thanks, lol

I can find Hornady Critical defense rounds all day and that is what is loaded in it right now. I cannot find plain old FMJ target rounds anywhere. I suspect I will happen across some soon enough. For now I have plenty of .22lr rounds to plink with.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 24, 2013, 01:31 PM   #40
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Joe, that Federal Auto-Match is better than most of the copper plated stuff in my experience. I think you'll be happy with it and wish you'd bought more. There has been some pretty disappointing rimfire ammo the last several years. Quality is always worth more.
He was only allowing two boxes per customer since he only got in 30 or 40 boxes.

Quote:
To all of you saying that it is our fault for not planning ahead, are you kidding me? My personal ammo needs are for .45 acp ammo. I have just got my first .45 and never had any reason to purchase .45 ammo until now. So it's my fault for not stocking up on ammo for a caliber I didn't even own?
Well, I really wasn't talking to someone like you. That's a different situation. I was talking about those that never have more than 100 or 200 rounds of ammo around for the guns they already own. If 2008 didn't give everyone an idea of what could happen in a panic then attention wasn't being paid.
Old January 24, 2013, 02:15 PM   #41
MacPointMan

GRRRRRRRRRR

All of this panic just Ts me off to no end. I get it but I am in Afghanistan and have been planning my shopping for months now. When I get home next week I don't know what Ill find. Prior to all this I didn't have to worry I could buy whatever because what I wanted was readily available.

Makes me wish I had done it back in October But I decided to wait till I got my Bonus and came back home for my next vacation.

Can't even find a Ruger 10/22 or even a Remington 597 in stock. Hopefully my trip to my local Bass Pro Shops with my boat will yield one and some ammo. Hopefully my Local gun shop will have the AR and the Smith and Wesson M&P .22 I looked at and considered last time i was home.

Though I do feel better that I had planned on buying prior to all this nonsense. It will still be fun seeing what is out there and picking something up if I can find it. Shooting might have to wait if ammo is not available though I'll put a friend of mine on alert to buy ammo while I am gone.

Oh well sorry I'm just a bit frustrated and anticipating vacation in a little over a week.

Just to clarify I work in Afghanistan as a civilian though I am also in the US Army Reserve and have multiple tours under my belt.
Let me die in a pile of empty brass.
Old January 24, 2013, 07:30 PM   #42
treg

For the past few years I've bought a bulk pack of of .22LR, or reloading components with each of my every-other week paycheck. So I'm pretty well set for this shortage thing, but would like to stock up on primers.

Without ammo reasonably available to spend money on I have donated the funds to the NRA.

https://www.nraila.org/get-involved-...re/donate.aspx

You don't have to join to donate.

Last edited by treg; January 24, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old January 25, 2013, 07:33 AM   #43
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbro
And on another thread that is closed I asked if anyone could remember what kind of prices were on a 20 count pack of .22 LR back in the SIXTY's?
From my wife's dad's estate after he passed away, not sure the exact year of purchase.

Old January 25, 2013, 08:41 AM   #44
nixfix

As of this week, I am able to find .22LR quite easily again (Dick's, local gun stores). I posit that people are beginning to realize Feinstein's reach for the stars ain't going anywhere. And now that the filibuster change bill in the Senate was passed in a very watered-down form, there is "some" light at the end of the tunnel again.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:01 AM   #45
spacecoast

I checked Wal-Mart this morning, still no .22LR, but I did see a couple of boxes of Tula .223 that definitely wasn't there earlier this week. I don't shoot it, so I didn't buy it, but it won't last long. They also have a 3 box per customer per day sign on the case that was recently added.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:27 AM   #46
cajun47

"Like what? An invasion of squirrels and cane toads?"

many deer are killed with .22lr. many people are killed with .22lr.

i killed many 8' gators with 1 shot of federal 550 bulk right through the scull. with a pistol. stopped them instantly.

shtf, people stock up on .22lr for when ak/ar ammo runs out. a team member with a .22 rifle can be very effective at suppressing the enemy while another member picks his shots with the 30-06. third member loading the empty mags for the .22 rifle. constant fire. with a few 3 man teams like this, looters don't stand a chance.

shtf. with no medical care, a hit with a .22lr will kill a looter immediately or days later from infection. one way or another he is out of the picture at some point.

shtf. its quiet. you can hunt and kill with a .22 rifle without alerting all looters within several miles.

i have found .22lr round nose to be much less effective on animals than .22lr hollow points. i call the federal 550 bulk a semi hollow point. it does not expand as much as other brand hollow points but it penetrates deeper and while the wound channel is a little smaller its much longer. it penetrates deeper than the hot and expensive cci velocitor this is the best of both worlds and i been buying every box i can find for years. the cci velocitor is better in my ruger lcr 22 though.

videos of the wimpy 22:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6exXXsf5XII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDo_PbAvJc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkOzr6cDx0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OHXzX8T5ew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxENqNnQILE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDvdj...5w_t2fGTH_sNmQ
Old January 25, 2013, 09:56 AM   #47
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
shtf, people stock up on .22lr for when ak/ar ammo runs out. a team member with a .22 rifle can be very effective at suppressing the enemy while another member picks his shots with the 30-06. third member loading the empty mags for the .22 rifle. constant fire. with a few 3 man teams like this, looters don't stand a chance.

I don't know of any case of something like this ever happening. I don't think it ever could. If people are buying ammunition for this purpose they can stop right away.
Old January 25, 2013, 10:55 AM   #48
cajun47

thats cause shtf hasn't happened in this country. yet.
Old January 25, 2013, 01:22 PM   #49
22-rimfire

It is good to hear that Dicks has 22 ammo again. The ammo that I run out of typically is centerfire due to cost. I don't buy it a case at a time. But honestly, I have enough since I haven't been shooting much since the colder weather hit. Hopefully spring will be showing its early signs in my area in the next few weeks and life can get back to normal.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:26 PM   #50
Gbro

Cajun47,
The video's were interesting.
This one 3rd down on your list was interesting seeing what kind of penetration that little .22 @ 300 yards. That Roast didn't look spoiled though

The last one in your list with the kid putting in a trigger over-travel stop kind of has me worried.
Ruger Model 77 rifles have a recall Here for a trigger over travel adjustment screw and i had a bad screw in one of my old Ruger's.
Being that youngster installed his over-travel screw into the trigger gauard I would not do that because I just don't think the stock is anchored inthat precise.
the problem with that screw was if it moved in to close the gun wouldn't fire, that is until the bolt handle was lifted, or maybe a bump from something??