The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 6, 2011, 08:09 PM   #1
bamboo spear

Question about Tacstar pistol forend on Mossy 500

So I was going to put one of these on a Western Field M550, which from what I've researched is a Mossberg 500 clone. I removed the barrel and unscrewed the nut that keeps the wooden foregrip in place, and the foregrip slid right off without any problems. The action bars are attached to a small tube that is over the magazine tube.

Can anyone tell me if a Tacstar Pistol Grip just slides right over this piece, or does the grip need to be attached to the action bars? Some sites say that you have to remove the entire action bar assembly, some say you have to remove the magazine tube, etc, but it looks like the pistol grip just goes on and tightens on the end. Just wanted to make sure before I drop 30 bucks on one.

Any help? Thanks!
Old July 6, 2011, 11:42 PM   #2
idek

I can't answer your question directly, but I've used a couple different aftermarket forends on a current production Mossberg 500 and they only required me to remove the forend nut. If your gun is like current production 500s, I expect that would be true of the forend you're speaking of as well. I can't comment on compatibility with older models.

....Now, I don't mean to preach where it's not wanted, but the consensus among defense/tactical "experts" is that pistol grip forends aren't all that great. Because your grip is lower, they make the slide bars want to lift upward as you pull in and downward as you push out. This creates extra slide friction and just possibly might make the slide more prone to hiccups. This may be unlikely, but small odds can make a big difference in a defense situation.

Also, I don't believe TacStar has a great reputation for quality. I've never tried any of their stuff myself though.

I'm not trying to criticize your choices, but I just thought I'd mention those things in case you hadn't considered them. Now, if you just want a certain look for your gun and aren't really expecting to stake you life on it, you probably don't need to worry about anything I wrote.

Last edited by idek; July 6, 2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old July 7, 2011, 07:01 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

There are 2 different lengths of "tube"...

http://havlinsales.com/default.htm
go to "modern shotgun parts" from list on left and scroll down on how to determine which you have...

Brent