The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 24, 2005, 11:45 PM   #1
hknut

Styer GB?

Just curious about the prototype dates on the Styer GB? I know the gun came to the market in this country in the late 70's early 80's. I'm justtrying to figure how long it takes to go from proto to production? Any help you can provide would be a great help.

HK Original combat plastic!
Old December 24, 2005, 11:55 PM   #2
Steven Mace

hknut, you can find some Steyr GB history here:

http://remtek.com/arms/steyr/gb/gb.htm

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg71-e.htm

Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old December 26, 2005, 10:01 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, hknut,

It depends on what you mean by "prototype to prodcution." It also depends on what you mean by "prototype."

If the prototype is merely a slight change to an existing mode, it could take a few months. If it is an entirely new gun, then a prototype could be just a handmade "proof of concept" that might take years to develop into a working firearm.

A lot depends on financial backing and resources. If the developer is a big company (say S&W), and puts together an experienced design team, working with a top notch model shop, work can be done in weeks that would take a home shop workman years.

Even if a POC can be developed in a short time, and working models made, time will be eaten up in testing and debugging. In the case of the Steyr GB, it looks like Rogak (inadvertently or not) did a lot of their debugging for them, proving at least what would NOT work.

Praise from gunwriters is probably the easiest part. Most of those guys will say wonderful things about any POS they get to try for free, and many praised the Rogak as a miracle weapon. (Mine won't even fire - the mainspring is too weak.)

Why did the Steyr GB fail? Partly because of the Rogak fiasco. But mainly, IMHO, because it is simply one BIIIIGGG pistol for a medium cartridge. Not powerful enough for hunting, too heavy for belt carry in any normal situation, too big for concealed carry, not accurate enough or with the proper sights for target work, it simply had no place in the scheme of things. It seems to have been made just to prove that the system would work, and to build egos, without any real reference to an intended use or a real market.

Jim
Old December 28, 2005, 05:47 PM   #4
hknut

Steve and Jim, thank you for the help.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:09 PM   #5
Bacon

The Steyr GB was developed to be the Austrian Army's new sidearm. One of the early "Wonder 9's" to come out of europe. However a company known as Glock put a damper on it's bright future. In other words, the GB was beat out by Glock.
Old January 11, 2006, 08:13 AM   #6
Handy

I have one of the last series of GBs. An excellent and accurate gun. It has one of the best DA/SA trigger systems I've run across and is really no bigger or heavier than a Beretta.

The gun is also beautifully made with steel used everywhere but the grips and trigger guard.
Old January 12, 2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Handy

Checking some things out, I found the weight on the GB: 29.5 oz. That means it is lighter than a BHP, 5 oz. lighter than a Beretta and little different in weight than a .40 P226.