The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 9, 2019, 07:24 PM   #1
sarge912

Series 70 (1973) Satin Combat Commander.

Many years ago, early in my career, I carried a Satin Nickel Colt Combat Commander. It was pretty beat when I got it but it shot straight and true. Then the department banned any and all automatics for carry off-duty/backup.
I ended up trading if for a Model 60 S&W but always wished that I had kept it.

I came across this one in near perfect condition.
I already have an ATI Clone in blue, which is a wonderful shooter, but still does not hold the same level of nostalgia as the original Colt.

I hope to test them both against each other in the very new future but for now I am just glad that I was able to find it.

Last edited by sarge912; June 11, 2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old June 9, 2019, 08:30 PM   #2
tipoc

Great find!

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.
Old June 10, 2019, 09:16 AM   #3
sarge912

Just back from the range. As I expected, it shot great, ate anything that I gave it including aluminum and reloads. I suspect I will get a tighter group when I add the Pierce finger grips.

Having said that, I find that I shoot my ATI a lot better. It has superior grips and better sights out of the box. The Colt has all Wilson Combat springs and it is very tight. The ATI is broken in and the action is like butter.

I would not hesitate to use either one.

I dropped the Colt off at a friend of mine's for a little polish work on the feed ramp. (He did wonders for my Thompson 1927 A1) Next trip out if will be all tuned up with better grips. Not much I want to do about the sights. They work and I don't really want to change them.
Old June 10, 2019, 11:23 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I dropped the Colt off at a friend of mine's for a little polish work on the feed ramp.
Ok, there is always "because I want to", but, if...

Quote:
it shot great, ate anything that I gave it including aluminum and reloads.
Then WHY have it worked on??
Old June 10, 2019, 11:57 AM   #5
tipoc

I was gonna ask the same thing, about the ramp, but I let it go.

One small point Colt listed there as "Satin Nickel Finishes" rather than chrome. Colt made blued and satin nickel versions of this steel framed gun.

tipoc
Old June 10, 2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I agree, not satin chrome. I think it's electroless nickel. Nice pistola. Me like.
Old June 10, 2019, 03:23 PM   #7
sarge912

there were a few 'dig' marks in the feed ramp, even though it was feeding okay. He will smooth them out.

I have read that the SC in the serial number originally was described by Colt as Satin Chrome.
Old June 10, 2019, 07:11 PM   #8
cw308

I also in the 70's bought a blued Combat Commander , I sold it to a friend for what I paid for it 134.00 brand new . I kick myself to this day for selling it . I think they made a Stainless Steel also at that time . They are a sweet and perfectly balanced pistol . If I happen to see one of those in a gun shop it would be hard not to bring it home .
Old June 10, 2019, 07:53 PM   #9
Dufus

I still have mine that I bought in the mid 70s. I have the blued version that I bought first. They are both still original and both function and shoot great.

If memory serves me, I paid about $345 for the blued one and maybe $75 more for the satin nickle model. Not much nowadays, but that was a lot back then.
Old June 10, 2019, 08:02 PM   #10
laytonj1

That is definitely satin nickel. Electroless nickel looks more like stainless steel.
Colt did not offer chrome finishes back then.

Jim
Old June 10, 2019, 09:12 PM   #11
K_Mac

Beautiful handgun. Congratulations. I suspect the satisfaction of having a piece of your past in hand is worth what you paid. Enjoy!
Old June 11, 2019, 07:29 AM   #12
rodfac

Great find...and, short of SS, about as indestructible a 1911 as you'll find. I had one in .45 ACP for 15 yrs or so, put 5000+ rounds of non-shooting-game practice through it, then gave it to #2 son who really wanted it for carry. Along the way I found a Series 70 pair of slides and barrels in 9mm and .38 Super that fit it well; and aside from changing out the ejector, required no other changes to function at near 100%. I also bought the Ciener .22 LR conversion upper for it, making it a 4-caliber Commander...a very versatile gun indeed.

Hope you have as much fun with yours as I did with mine over the years.

Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. We owe them and our children, the best that we can do.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73
Old June 11, 2019, 07:36 AM   #13
sarge912

New grip extension came from Amazon. Hopefully have it up and running in a day or two. Need to get down in the shop and start loading up a bunch of ammo.
Old June 11, 2019, 07:58 AM   #14
Jim Watson

Looks like you got a nice one.
That finish shows dirt and wear worse than any I know of, so keep your GI toothbrush handy.
Old June 11, 2019, 11:17 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Just be sure to keep Hoppe's #9 far away from it.
Old June 11, 2019, 12:01 PM   #16
sarge912

The barrel appears to be stainless or at least no plating, but I hear what you are saying. Nothing that reacts with nickle. (This is my second one.)
Old June 11, 2019, 12:48 PM   #17
SIGSHR

I treasure mine. I had a gunsmith install MMC fixed sights, shoots a lot better since, those satin nickel sights were too hard to see. Naturally I've been looking for another factory slide...
Old June 11, 2019, 01:11 PM   #18
tipoc

Quote:
I have read that the SC in the serial number originally was described by Colt as Satin Chrome.
I checked back with R.L. Wilson's book "Colt an American legend" on the serial number.

The Commander model gun was introduced in 1949 with an aluminum alloy frame. In 1950 Colt began the serial suffix LW to indicate Light Weight. In 1969 that LW became a prefix of CLW for Commander Light Weight.

In 1970 Colt introduced the steel framed Combat Commander with blued and nickel finishes. For blued guns the prefix was 70BSxxxx for Blued Steel and the SC for nickel. No one mentions it being for "chrome". It also obviously isn't chrome. They also produced two nickel versions the satin nickel and the standard shiny nickel.

Quote:
The barrel appears to be stainless or at least no plating, but I hear what you are saying. Nothing that reacts with nickle. (This is my second one.)
The barrel is carbon steel with a polished hood it's simply not blued. Colt was not making stainless steel barrels for a few more years as I understand it.

Your gun is an early one has only 3 numbers after the 70SC. Maybe 1970.

tipoc
Old June 11, 2019, 01:58 PM   #19
sarge912

The Colt sight said mine was shipped in 1973 but does not say exactly when it was made.
Old June 12, 2019, 10:59 AM   #20
vba

Beautiful, I've got the same gun but in full size. Very nice!
Old June 13, 2019, 08:40 PM   #21
dgludwig

I'm curious whether the Series 70 "Commander" and its Colt ilk pistol has the same collet-style bushing the Gold Cup variants came with in that era.
Old June 13, 2019, 09:02 PM   #22
sarge912

my original one had the three finger collet and it was super tight, requiring a special tool to remove it. This looks pretty much like my other 1911's. solid collet.
Old June 13, 2019, 09:34 PM   #23
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
my original one had the three finger collet and it was super tight, requiring a special tool to remove it. This looks pretty much like my other 1911's. solid collet.
The Series 70's did not require a "special tool" to remove the collet bushing. A standard bushing tool or even the rounded fore-part of a standard G.I. magazine floor plate would turn it to the unlocked position provided one follow the correct procedure of pushing the slide reward until the collet was clear of the enlarged portion of the barrel.

I found that my Series 70 Mark IV Government Model with its collet bushing was less difficult to remove if the slide was pushed back as posted above than is a tightly fitted solid target bushing is in one of my other 1911's.
Old June 13, 2019, 09:36 PM   #24
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I'm curious whether the Series 70 "Commander" and its Colt ilk pistol has the same collet-style bushing the Gold Cup variants came with in that era.
No, only the full-length Series 70 models had the collet bushing...the Commanders had solid bushings.
Old June 13, 2019, 09:44 PM   #25
sarge912

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
The Series 70's did not require a "special tool" to remove the collet bushing. A standard bushing tool or even the rounded fore-part of a standard G.I. magazine floor plate would turn it to the unlocked position provided one follow the correct procedure of pushing the slide reward until the collet was clear of the enlarged portion of the barrel.

I found that my Series 70 Mark IV Government Model with its collet bushing was less difficult to remove if the slide was pushed back as posted above than is a tightly fitted solid target bushing is in one of my other 1911's.
by 'special tool' I was referring to the bushing tool. I was not the original owner so I don't know if the colllet was from the factory.