The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 18, 2019, 04:08 PM   #1
AirmanRatliff

Colt Pocket Hammerless Help

When I first bought this pistol, the internals were so caked in rust you wouldn't believe. After a full disassembly, cleaning, and ordering some replacement parts, I sat down to put it back together. The parts are all the exact same as the ones they've replaced.

That was two years ago today.

I have read every guide, watched every video, and it is still a pile of parts. After I gave up for good the first time, I took it to a gunsmith. After two weeks, nadda, he was stumped too. Had me order an extra part because he thought I'd lost one, but nope, that part doesn't fit on this pistol.

I took it to another gunsmith, further away this time, same story.

What I'm saying is this: are any of you handy with these? Because I've owned this gun for 2 years, and never loaded or shot it. I will pay for transfers if I need to ship it, time, all that.

I'm thiiiiiiis close to just packing it back up in a ziplock bag, throwing it in the bottom of my safe and forgetting about it.

To be specific, I can get up to the point where the hammer goes in, get the hammer in, but then the safety lever won't fully seat. The little detent won't go in the slot for it.

I'd be just as grateful if somebody could just enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong, because I'm starting to feel like an idiot, or a madman.

Thanks for your time,
Rat
Old May 18, 2019, 05:08 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

How about this video?

He shows you that the tab must be in the right position for the safety to be inserted. Heck, if you were in Colorado, I'd put it together for you.

https://youtu.be/lBTjxz7DxDA
Old May 18, 2019, 05:27 PM   #3
FITASC

great video, thanks for the link.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 18, 2019, 10:08 PM   #4
AirmanRatliff

Yep, I've seen that video. I know how it has to go in, but it just won't. It looks like the side of the sear is blocking it?
Old May 19, 2019, 09:09 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Something is blocking it. I can't tell you without seeing it. Make sure the sear and disconnector aren't in the way. You should be able to see through the frame and see a perfect concentric hole where the safety goes in.

Take some pics showing us the hole in the frame with the other parts installed.