The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 30, 2018, 11:04 PM   #1
Freakdaddy

Calling All X-Bolt Owners - Trigger Question

I have an X-Bolt Medallion in .243 that I bought for my daughter which may be having a trigger malfunction. It seems when the trigger is either in the cocked or fired position and regardless if the safety is on or off, there is substantial forward movement of the trigger itself; like an 1/8 inch or slightly more. Rearward movement of the trigger is like hitting a wall when it's on safe and no matter how hard I try to pull it, it will not fire. When the safety is off, there's no creep and it fires perfectly normal with the trigger pull hovering consistently around 3.5-3.9 pounds.

Function seems to be fine but that forward slop is concerning me as I can't remember it being like that before. I honestly hardly ever shoot this gun and my daughter is coming in for deer season mid-November and as I was getting things together, happened to notice it. I haven't been to the range with it yet but was checking the various functions by dry firing and cycling the bolt. I took the stock off and nothing looks out of the norm regarding what parts I could see as the main components are in a housing.

I was wanting to ask other X-Bolt owners if theirs are like this or have experienced the same thing and what the culprit is. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old October 31, 2018, 03:36 AM   #2
NHSHOOTER

I have owned a x bolt for a couple years and have fired quite a few boxes of ammo thru it without any issues with the trigger. I would take it out of the safe right now and check to see if I have the same issue with mine but just this past Monday I change the trigger to a Timney. I did just check the old trigger assembly and it did have some forward play but its really hard to say since its not mounted to the rifle. I would suggest a call or email to Browning.
PS: I only changed to a Timney because I really like the way they break.
Old October 31, 2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Freakdaddy

Thanks for taking the time to respond NHSHOOTER as it's greatly appreciated! I planned on talking to Browning but I know what they'll say from a liability standpoint when it comes to triggers LOL! I'd be better off applying the money I would spend on shipping to Browning toward an aftermarket trigger for it. I may just have my gunsmith look at it if he has time as well. Thanks again!
Old October 31, 2018, 07:30 PM   #4
NHSHOOTER

I installed the Timney trigger in about 15 minutes and took it to the range..AWESOME!!! I believe the Timney ran me 157.00 from Midway..Money well spent but then again, I like a good trigger and I have a few Timneys on my rifles.
Old November 3, 2018, 10:38 AM   #5
LineStretcher

Freakdaddy, more than likely you've been shoving a really wet cleaning patch in from the back of action and the cleaner has dripped down into your trigger and turned to sludge. You can either attempt to disassemble the trigger and clean it out or replace it. A good gun smith might be a better choice for that. If you do replace it, the Timney is a good choice.