The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 20, 2018, 02:22 PM   #1
bakersbellyachers

Old ammo identification

I'm not sure but I think what I have here is some shotshell salesman samples. They either have holes in the side or the bottom or they are solid steel. Can anyone confirm? Hope I did the image right.
IMG_0517.JPG
Old October 20, 2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Salmoneye

I don't see any shotshells...

I do see what used to be called dummy rounds standing up...

Laying down look like home made dummy rounds with popped primers...

Other than the standing all steel rifle dummy, the others may be home made also...

ADDING:

The far left standing I have no clue (maybe old rimfire?), but the .45-70 round laying down looks live in that picture...
Old October 20, 2018, 04:03 PM   #3
bakersbellyachers

I'm trying to go through my late dad's stuff. He had 100's of old boxes of ammo and other gun related stuff. So you think he may have made and used these for no dry fire?
To add a little background my dad was a firearm distributor for a tri-state area.
Old October 20, 2018, 04:31 PM   #4
105kw

Could have also been used to function check a gun, I suppose.
I. Helped clean out an old time gunshop a long time ago, he had a drawer full of those in an assortment of calibers.
Like those, they were all homemade.
Old October 20, 2018, 04:35 PM   #5
DaleA

Could be he used the dummy rounds, the ones with the holes in the side, to (safely) show how to chamber a round.

And as has been mentioned one of the rounds laying down looks like the primer is still intact and the round might be live.

Dummy rounds are nice to have around for a lot of different reasons. You can show people the differences between rounds, function test guns and just say "See, that's what a thus-and-such round looks like."
Old October 20, 2018, 05:26 PM   #6
bakersbellyachers

Thanks guys.
My next question is: How old is too old when it comes to ammo? Some of the ammo I can use but he's got many calibers I've never heard of. I'd think someone could still use the brass if it's too old right?
Old October 20, 2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Old (as in OLD!) ammunition is worth big bucks. Before you do anything, make up an inventory and then look on eBay to see what a few representative cartridges are selling for. You might be surprised.

Whatever you do, DON'T start shooting it until you find out what it's worth. Not that it's unsafe, just that it might be the most expensive ammo you'll ever shoot in your life.
Old October 20, 2018, 09:45 PM   #8
jonnyc

Most of those pictured look like what are called "Tin Remington Dummies". The best might be the .30-40 Krag standing in the back row.