The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 1, 2013, 01:46 AM   #1
n5lyc

New ASM project

Well, a few weeks ago I posted an ad on the local facebook gun trader page wanting to buy used or abused revolvers.

The first reply was from a guy that had an old rough one and wanted to trade for some .22 rifle ammo.

He sent me a photo, I asked him how many he needed, he said 500 rounds of .22.

i had recently scored bought some Remington bulk packs at walmart
so i traded him.

In talking to him, he could not understand why someone would make a pistol finished so bad. He didn't think it would be safe to shoot due to the "quality" of the construction, it had been in his gun cabinet for the last 20+ years.

I told him about the kits, he decided that made sense now..

Here is what i got,
a CVA 1851 kit that had never been finished made by ASM, No date code, but has CVA marks on the barrel, and frame, and asm markings under the loading rod.

Here is the condition i got it in, light surface rust from years of handling it in the white, perfect bore, and the nipples looked like it had been dry fired many times.

I trued up the nipples with a file and a drill.
then started the defarb process.
I used a grinder with a brush to remove the rust, then 200 grit sand paper on the flats to remove the CVA and black powder markings on the barrel.

Then I cleaned it with aerosol brake cleaner, heated the parts in the oven, then applied birchwood casey cold blue, carded it with 0000 steel wool, and repeated the process 2 more times.

I have not polished the brass as of yet, We found out we will be getting custody of my 14 year old nephew, and i think i will let him finish it.

When i was 10, my dad bought a richland arms 1858 remmy kit, and taught me how to finish it. (it was brass framed too, and has long since been shot loose, young, dumb, and liked heavy loads) but it hangs on the wall.

I figure it will make a good project we can complete together.

It is in perfect time (one of the photos show the notches in the cylinder, and no damage), it pops caps reliably, the bolt stop spring was not making good contact with the bolt, so i snapped it off, and added the safety pin spring mod, got a new wedge and wedge screw from Dixie. (it was missing the screw, and the spring in the wedge.)
these photos were taken before the parts came in.

The screws are a little buggered, but i will dress those up later.

Now just to wait until he gets here and we can finish it together, I will post photos as we go along.

Here is a few more photos.

45 Bravo

Old June 1, 2013, 05:29 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

This is a nice find...

...I don't know what .22 ammo goes for but my guess is that you did purdy good.

Good that the timing is right.

Nice prioject and nice job cleaning it up so far.
Old June 1, 2013, 07:36 AM   #3
bedbugbilly

Great job! That will be nice when it's finished . . but then, who ever heard of a '51 that wasn't!

That will be a nice project for your nephew to work on . . . will allow you to to "bond" and make some mighty fine memories for him to keep. Thanks for sharing . . we'd love to see it when it's all finished. Enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 1, 2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Hawg

Pretty good deal for junky ammo that isn't worth having anyway.
Old June 1, 2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Fingers McGee

Looking good. You've got a great start on the project. Be sure to post updates as they occur.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 1, 2013, 05:57 PM   #6
sltm1

Cool Beans man!! Gotta show us when shes done....and add a range report too!!
Old June 2, 2013, 08:29 PM   #7
n5lyc

Thanks guys, i will update as we go along.
He won't get here for a month or 2 , so I will have to revive the post later.