The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2018, 10:46 PM   #1
craddleshooter

Remington R51

Been looking at the Shield. Then then XDS. Now I just read about the coming R51. Anyone own a 'modern' Remington pistol? Thoughts? Will be interesting to check out an R51 in person (if I can find a Rem dealer near by).
Old July 20, 2018, 10:03 PM   #2
Drm50

The only experience I've had with them was the 1911s when first out. I can say
they convinced me I want no parts of any of their handguns. The original model
51 Rem is a high class pistol.
Old July 20, 2018, 10:25 PM   #3
Cirdan

They absolutely blew the original rollout. Took it to Shot show with pre-production models that were fine. Initial production runs were absolutely horrible. They recalled them all and gave customers better, more expensive guns in exchange (1911s).

Supposedly they fixed the problems, but I see them in stores for remarkably low prices - $300 or less. You're probably better off with the XDS. Or a Ruger LC9 or Glock 43.
Old July 21, 2018, 12:27 AM   #4
Ibmikey

I purchased one of the newly designed pistols released after the original fiasco. The R 51 has gobbled untold hundreds of rounds of ammo without any major issue, although it is a little sharp in recoil. Of my three magazines one gave poor results initially however even that mag seems to work properly at this time.
As far as take down and assembly I feel I need to take a class in “ Anger Management” prior to any servicing. This is not a pistol for persons with arthritis in their hands.
Mine is accurate ( although not directly point of aim but close enough for combat purposes) and reliable as well as easily concealed.
Old July 21, 2018, 07:43 AM   #5
berettaprofessor

I wanted to love this pistol, I really did. Put over 700 rounds through mine. Not accurate with anything but AE 115 FMJ (hotter ammo). Takedown and reassembly was always on the difficult side. Felt good in my hand, but that was it. I sold it at a $200 loss since between my purchase and sale Remington started dumping them under $300, and I will never own another.
Old July 21, 2018, 07:49 AM   #6
berettaprofessor

Mine was a Gen2 btw. If that's what it was like after redesign, I hate to think how bad it was before the recall.
Old July 21, 2018, 08:18 AM   #7
CockNBama

I like mine. It is very accurate, regardless of the type ammo I've used. Reliable, although it needed to run in for 100 rds or so before I could say that. Mine was very cheap, because there were so many outlandish accusations against it. I'm glad I have it.
Old July 21, 2018, 10:09 AM   #8
Cheapshooter

I wanted one from the first time I saw, and handled one. Lucky I guess, that in the beginning I was to stubborn to pay tbe MSRP, or above that they were asking.
But after the new ones came out, and the prices were within reason, I bought one. I haven't shot it a great deal, maybe a couple hundred rounds, but it's been 100% reliable, and very accurate. Feels good in the hand, and is quite comfortable to shoot.
Take down for cleaning can be a pain until you master the tecnique. Reassembly can be even worse! But reading the instructions and watching a few videos of becomes a lot easier after you do it a few times.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 21, 2018, 10:43 AM   #9
mete

Remington is not a separate entity , it's part of an investment company ! ! It doesn't have history or personal interest in making good guns. My original M51 was great and my old rolling block great also. Investment companies have become a common thing and has caused many problems no matter what field they enter !
Old July 21, 2018, 06:06 PM   #10
hodaka

I own and often carry one of the second versions. I like it other than it shoots a bit low of point of aim. 100% reliable, accurate and light to carry. Feels much like a Makarov but half the weight. I clean it less than my other pistols because it is a bit of a pain but it doesn't seem to mind.

And I agree with mete
Old July 21, 2018, 06:55 PM   #11
Dragon breath

I bought a smoke R51 gen 2 (built in Huntsville Al.) and had problems from the beginning. if you fully loaded the magazines you could not chamber a round. The slide would stop about half way back. If you locked the slide back and inserted the magazine it would feed the first round fine. If you only loaded 6, you could rack the round into the chamber just fine. It also wouldn’t feed most hollow points. The only hollow points that I found that would work even part of the time were xtp 115 grain. Everything else hung up on the front of the magazine.
So it went in for warranty service. When it came back, it still wouldn’t load the first round from a full magazine. And then it jammed on the third round of fmj. It hadn’t been jamming on fmj before. With hollow points it was a single shot. So Remington service made it worse.
Luckily the gun shop that I bought the gun from (and sent it for service) told me that if Remington service didn’t fix the gun, that they would Allow me to return the gun for a refund. I took the money and bought a Ruger lc9s. The Ruger has been perfect.
Old July 21, 2018, 10:06 PM   #12
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodaka View Post
I own and often carry one of the second versions. I like it other than it shoots a bit low of point of aim.
Try a heavier grain round. I had an early Taurus pt111 that shot low with everything except 147 grain, heavier bullet rode the recoil for a fraction of a second longer and POI came up nicely.
Old July 22, 2018, 09:15 AM   #13
CockNBama

I noticed that recently, too. Thought something was up side down.