The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 27, 2013, 03:07 PM   #1
boxjeff

M1A SOCOM-16 or AK

I'm in the final stages of deciding what rifle to get. I've been leaning-toward some type of AK for some time now as I really like all the reliability talk I hear and the cheap ammo I can pickup at shows. Recently I came across the M1A SOCOM-16 and like what I hear about it too.

Any feedback on what rifle is the better of the two and why? Is the Socom as reliable in dirt and grime as the AK.

Please provide as much info as you have on the two

Thanks!
Old February 27, 2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Keg

I've had both....The AK is not in the same league as the SOCOM....I got rid of the AK....I would rather have an SKS than an AK....JMO

As far as the SOCOM and dirt and grime..I can't tell ya....
Old February 27, 2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Puddle

The AK is certainly not in the same league as a SOCOM.

But I have to ask, why ditch the AK for the SKS? I own both and I don't think I would ditch an AK for an SKS. My AKs are as reliable as my SKS, are as accurate, hold more ammunition, are more compact, lighter, etc.

Not trying to start a real debate here, but I am truly curious why someone would give up an AK for an SKS.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:18 PM   #4
AK103K

Quote:
I've had both....The AK is not in the same league as the SOCOM
I thought just the opposite. I no longer have my SOCOM, and it was the shortest romance of any M1A Ive owned.

The problem with the SOCOM is, its trying to be something its not. Its basically just Springfield trying to wring every last penny out of their M1A platform that they can.

If you want an M1A, get a standard rifle. If you want a handy, light, compact, very shootable rifle, the AK fits that bill nicely. The SOCOM is none of that.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:19 PM   #5
AK103K

Quote:
Not trying to start a real debate here, but I am truly curious why someone would give up an AK for an SKS.
Ive always wondered the same thing.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Dragline45

I would look in the the M1A Scout Squad instead of the Socom, shorter than the standard M1A but longer than the Socom. In fact I plan on picking one up in the near future. As far as the M1A vs the AK, if someone offered me two AK's or one M1A I would take the single M1A hands down.

Old February 27, 2013, 08:41 PM   #7
WildBill45

Quote:
As far as the M1A vs the AK, if someone offered me two AK's or one M1A I would take the single M1A hands down.
As would I...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old February 27, 2013, 08:47 PM   #8
AK103K

Dragline45, is that one of those super rare left hand versions?

I had a Bush model as well, the pre SS version, that had a flash suppressor instead of the brake. It was a decent rifle, but you really gain nothing with the shorter barrels. You just give up velocity, and get more blast and flame in return, especially with the brakes. Whacking the barrel doesnt drop the weight any noticeable difference, and they still weigh pretty much the same as the full size guns.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Dragline45

Quote:
Dragline45, is that one of those super rare left hand versions?
haha didn't even notice the selector hole is on the wrong side. Sure hope that didn't originally come from the Springfield website I just found it on google images.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:34 PM   #10
SR420

Quote:
M1A SOCOM-16 or AK
I own a version of both and shoot both suppressed.
They are very different, yet somewhat similar.

Get both.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:40 PM   #11
allaroundhunter

OP, you are pretty much comparing apples to oranges here.... What do you want the gun for?

You if the SOCOM will handle dirt and grime like an AK, but do you honestly plan on taking these out and running them through mud and grime? 99.9% of gun owners will never push a gun to its physical limits, and that other 0.1% are usually in combat.

Is the SOCOM as reliable as the AK for what civilians do with them? Yes, it is. Is it as accurate? It is more accurate. Is it as powerful? It is more powerful.

Which will give you a faster follow up shot? The AK.
Which will hold its value better? The M1a.
Which will cost more to shoot? The M1a.

Just as other posters would, I would take a single M1a over 2 AKs given the option.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:46 PM   #12
B. Lahey

I own both, I like both. The SOCOM, however, is an unusual variant that I have no experience with. The scuttlebutt seems to suggest that they are more tempermental than the more standard configurations.

Get both, but if you can afford something M14ish now, buy it first. Kalashnikovs are easier to come by, and life does not always allow the more impressive gun purchases, I have found.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:57 PM   #13
AK103K

Quote:
Get both.
Thats really the only way to make any kind of realistic decision.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Dr Big Bird PhD

You could compromise and get a VEPR .308 haha
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 28, 2013, 04:57 AM   #15
bamaranger

which cartridge?

The major difference is the cartridge the rifles utilize.

The AK in 7.62x39 is intermediate powered, launching a 123 gr or so .30 (well, .311) slug at about 2300 fps. The SOCOM in 7.62 x 51mm (.308 Win in civilian parlance) is a full powered round that launches 150 gr .30 cal slugs (there are other bullet weights but 147-150 is typical GI ball) at near 2800 fps. NOt sure what velocity it would get in a stubby SOCOM, but the .308 will still handily outpower the x39mm in any comparison. There is a wide range of high quality .308 ammo. By contrast x 39mm ammo is (or was) plentiful but typically came in surplus and service grades with not a lot of choice for sporting or match stuff. (match x39mm....Lapua maybe)

The AK clones also come in 5.45 x39 and even .223, but I am not going there.

Both rifles have reps for reliability. The SOCOM has far better sights and tirgger and a longer sight radius and will be more accurate. I think the SOCOM scout type rail offers a better system to mount optics, which has always been the AK's Achilles heel. Until the recent madness, you could get a WASR type AK for about a third of what one would pay for a SOCOM. The same could be said for ammo. Now the sky's the limit.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:42 AM   #16
AK103K

Quote:
The SOCOM has far better sights and tirgger and a longer sight radius and will be more accurate.
The SOCOM's sight are strictly "close range", and anything beyond 75-100 yards, becomes a real challenge. If you were to replace them with a set of the SS/Bush sights, you'd be better off.

Ive shot better groups with my AK's at 200 yards than I could with my SOCOM at 100. You always hear the AK's are inaccurate, but thats never been my experience. They arent target rifles, but they will shoot if you can.

As far as "stock" triggers go, all my AK triggers have been very nice, even the couple I had that had "slap". The SOCOM's trigger was OK, but nothing special.

Quote:
I think the SOCOM scout type rail offers a better system to mount optics, which has always been the AK's Achilles heel.
You'd do a lot better throwing the Springfield rail away, and replacing it with an Ultimak, the same maker that makes about the best forward rail for the AK's.

The rail on my SOCOM was junk. It was steel, which got very hot, very fast, and retained the heat. It was also not mil spec, and I had a lot of trouble getting mil spec mounts to work on it.
Old February 28, 2013, 04:36 PM   #17
SR420

It would be a difficult decision
if I had to choose just one.

Old February 28, 2013, 08:45 PM   #18
Puddle

Quote:
You always hear the AK's are inaccurate, but thats never been my experience.
Same here. My WASR is dead on at 100 yds irons. I guess it depends on what level of accuracy you are trying to achieve. When I say dead on I mean I can hit pie plates all day long at 100 yds. Some of my pals can't do that with an AR using irons. Depends on the shooter, I guess. And I'm not even that great a shot anymore.

Point is AKs get a bad rep as being inaccurate. I have not found this to be the case at all.
Old February 28, 2013, 11:40 PM   #19
boxjeff

There is so much AK junk out there what should I look for when purchasing...brand, type and distributor?
Old March 1, 2013, 07:51 AM   #20
SR420

Quote:
boxjeff There is so much AK junk out there what should I look for when purchasing...brand, type and distributor?
I have had the best experience with Norinco and Poly Tech AKMs.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:50 AM   #21
Keg

The SOCOM 16 is listed at 8.8 lbs....The standard rifle is listed as 9.3 lbs.....
I like the Scout Squad..although my SOCOM 16 is more accurate than my buddies Scout Squad....This may not be the norm....It is a very good weapon that I have never had a problem with....

The AK..I had..shot all over the place....My SKS paratrooper surprised me and shoots pretty decent groups.... Just my experience....
Old March 1, 2013, 11:12 AM   #22
TEXAS TACTICAL

I know I am new here, but I've been shooting for a while and I recently acquired a saiga .308. Now I'm not sure the average Saiga 308 shoots as good as mine but I took mine out in it's unconverted state and shot near .5 moa. Impressed with my rifle would be an understatement and with current high prices, saigas can be had for near reasonable money. It posseses the reliability of the AK (it's an AK) yet it has M1A accuracy.

I have the parts being delivered today actually to convert it and I am waiting for my texas weapons systems dog leg rail (should get here in 3 weeks or so.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130216_154850.jpg (233.6 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0102.jpg (244.7 KB, 366 views)

Last edited by TEXAS TACTICAL; March 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old March 1, 2013, 12:36 PM   #23
Keg

I do like the scope setup on yer Saiga....
Old March 1, 2013, 12:55 PM   #24
TEXAS TACTICAL

http://texasweaponsystems.com/
This is what I have coming. MAC reviewed it and got great results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=docUTwROk0M
Old March 1, 2013, 02:42 PM   #25
SR420

Do you have any large pictures?

Nice rifle and nice shooting