The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 12, 2002, 01:17 AM   #1
Jeff White

Some Of The Answer, Urban Shotgun - Review

Even though the shotgun as a defensive weapon is being eclipsed in many circles by the intermediate rifle caliber carbine, it is still a powerful tool in the hands of a properly trained person and probably the long weapon most likely to be used in a defensive role by the private citizen or patrol officer.

I've just finished Some Of The Answer, Urban Shotgun by Jim Crews. Jim is a noted firearms trainer, but not as well known for his excellent manuals as some of the other instructors/authors. But I found his previous manuals on the carbine and instruction procedures to be excellent. Some Of The Answer, Urban Shotgun is no exception.

The book itself is printed on heavy stock paper with a plastic spiral binding. This allows you to open it flat and the paper is heavy enough that you can take it to the range without having to worry about it falling apart from heavy use. I lke this format because it's easier to use the book as a ready reference in the field or on the range.

Before we get into the content, let me say that: NO ONE CAN LEARN TO USE ANY TYPE OF WEAPON FROM A BOOK. SOME OF THE TECHNIQUES THAT ARE DISCUSSED AND ILLUSTRATED CAN ONLY BE LEARNED ON THE RANGE

The book is 227 pages and it's 31 chapters are illustrated with hundreds of photographs and diagrams. No space is wasted, the inside back cover is a photocopier ready patterning target of the authors own design.
Most popular makes and models of defensive shotguns are covered separately in the areas where the manual of arms or operation are different. Users of the Remington 11-87/1100, Remington 870, Benelli Self Loading Shotgun (although it didn't cover my old M121 model) and Mossberg slide action shotguns will find separate chapters on their weapons. Chapter 3 Weapon System Familiarity, also covers the Winchester slide action.

I found the sections on modifications and accessories to be very interesting. The author is not selling anything here, nor is he advocating hanging all sorts of bells and whistles on your weapon. He's taking what he's seen from years of range experience and telling what works and why it works. Usually there is an illustration with the recommendation, such as the photo on page 176 of the little finger on the support hand that was trapped between the SureFire 870 foreend and the receiver during a multiple hit exercise. It's good to find out these little things now, before you have to rack the slide under stress.

The chapter on patterning with buckshot brought out some interesting things about secondary missiles (polymer pellets, shot cups and wads) at close CQB ranges. I have to admit that I wasn't aware of the danger of those secondary missiles until I read the book.

All sighting systems except optics are covered. In fact about the only addition I would make would be the use of the popular reflex type sights.

The chapters and sections on weapons handling and manipulation are illustrated with "by the numbers" type photos showing every step.

Everything from basic techniques to shooting while moving and transitioning to the handgun is covered. I would recommend this manual to everyone from the novice defensive shooter who is preparing to attend his first class, to the advanced shooter who will find it a handy reference for review and practice. The instructor will find chapter 30 on shotgun target systems handy for fresh ideas to liven up his program.

The manual is available direct from Jim Crews for $39.95. You can order at his website
Marksman's Enterprise

Jeff
Old April 12, 2002, 01:48 AM   #2
Jim Crews

Shotgun Manual review

Jeff, thank you very much for that kind review. I hope the manual serves you, your military outfit and your other outfit well.

I need to let you guys know that I made a deal today to temporarily reduce the cost of the manuals from $39.95 to $29.95. We bought a large quantity of the materials we need to make the manuals at a significantly reduced rate. So we are passing this along to you guys, as a matter of fact all of our manuals are reduced right now. We posted this earlier under Guns and Gear.

Any way, if you want a manual at the reduced rate, you have to email me at [email protected] to get a reservation number, because we will only be able to produce 150 manuals at the reduced rate, unless we can cut another deal. Maybe if I told this guy what I do for a living....well maybe that is not a good idea, hell he might be a liberal...well, any way. These are in short supply so if you need one, now is the time to get it.

Again, Jeff thank you for that kind review. I only wish Rich would put book reviews back in SWAT.

Best wishes, and watch those wads.

Jim Crews
406-777-3557
Cell 602-549-7389
http://www.marksmans.com
Old April 16, 2002, 11:59 PM   #3
norielX

Hmm... sounds interesting, count me in!

I just started what seems to be an addicting habit of buying shotguns. Mr. Crews, I'd like to jump in on that discount of yours if you're still accepting orders!

Old April 17, 2002, 01:27 AM   #4
Jim Crews

Shotgun Manual

Yep, we still have about 60 manuals left at the discounted price. Once they are gone I am not sure when I can offer that price again.

As a matter of fact all of our manuals are presently discounted.

The price includes shipping, so for the Shotgun, 29.95 American $$ does it.

Check or paypal.
406-777-3557
Cell 602-549-7389
http://www.marksmans.com