The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 7, 2002, 04:01 PM   #1
Sid Post

Benelli Nova pump shotgun? User feedback please...

I am considering the purchase of a new pump shotgun and have considered the Nova. I have handled them a time or two at a store but, haven't fired one. I am looking for a good all round general purpose shotgun in 12 gauge that will take a reasonable amount of abuse and still function reliably in cold weather, rain, heat (summers get hot out here!).

A Remington 870 in 12 gauge just doesn't fit me properly so, I need to look elsewhere. The Nova and Browning BPS both seem to be high quality pump shotguns with smooth actions. So, that is where my focus is at the moment.

I would appreciate any user feedback on the Nova versus similar priced pump shotguns that would be appropriate for someone of medium stature (I am 5' 4") like myself or a woman of average stature. Hunting quail or shooting clays off a trap machine in a field would be typical uses.

Thanks!
Sid
Old April 7, 2002, 05:10 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The Archives have some stuff on the Nova, mostly positive. Check there...
Old April 7, 2002, 06:11 PM   #3
utvols

Great gun for the money. Think of it like this, you get a fine Italian firearm that is in a price range that doesn't make you cringe to shoot.
Old April 8, 2002, 06:53 PM   #4
Pete Gunn

Benelli NOVA is a great $300 shotgun. It is very easy to disassemble and clean. You can change barrels, increase magazine capacity and even install a factory recoil reducer. It will accept 2 3/4", 3" and 3 1/2" shells.

With the synthetic stock, it should take a lot of abuse. I have enjoyed mine and I plan to shoot it for many years to come. Its not a Super Black Eagle, but its worth every penny of the $300.

Peter Gunn
Closed Thread