The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 15, 2018, 12:27 AM   #1
9mm

Taurus PT-22 Poly Quality control failed with pictures

I have a Beretta Bobcat 21a with no problems, I bought this to go with my Beretta. Shot it tonight and had a lot of problems, key holing was the main one, got home and just notice the rifling is all jacked up. How did this leave the factory.... I am hoping I can get this back in less than 3 months... It was fun to shoot, more accurate than my Bobcat 21a surprising, maybe those sights are off... I was expecting more from Taurus considering the LCP is $200 and I got this for $200 range... Let's see how Taurus treats me and how well it works later...

Oh and some random tiny piece of the poly chipped off when I was cleaning it. hopefully it isn't important.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (114.2 KB, 455 views)
File Type: png Untitled3.png (66.2 KB, 417 views)
File Type: png Untitled2.png (67.4 KB, 398 views)
Old July 15, 2018, 07:20 AM   #2
kymasabe

Good luck with Taurus. My daughter sent back a brand new TCP that didn't survive it's first range session, only took them 15 weeks to get it back to her. Was still crap when she got it back, so she traded it in at a loss at the gun shop she bought it from.
Sorry to hear about the PT22 though, I had one years ago (blued frame, nice wood grips), I hope it works out. Mine hated all ammo except Velocitor hyper velocity and ran GREAT once I figured out what ammo it liked, was a fun little gun.
Old July 15, 2018, 09:05 AM   #3
mlk18

Taurus has lots of quality control issues and cost cutting related defects, but they seem to focus them on their polymer framed products. I noticed recently that they are dumping their lifetime warranty and replacing it with a more limited 5 year warranty. I can only presume repair and replacement costs were killing them.
Old July 15, 2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

My metal PT-22, many years ago, was a jamming horror. Small 22 semis are notorious for not running. If you get one that does, good for you!

I saw a Bobcat that was problematic also. That gun type is iffy.
Old July 16, 2018, 02:16 PM   #5
9mm

Hour and 20 minutes in the phone, was told I had to pay shipping, asked them because it's new do I have to pay!? They looked into it and said no, so I got free shipping..
Up to 12 weeks turn around.
Old July 16, 2018, 03:31 PM   #6
lunger

Taurus quality may not be as bad as perceived. But their customer service sure is.
Has to be the worst in the business. I have dealt with them 3 times and not once was the problem solved. I paid all shipping costs.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:30 PM   #7
MagnumWill

Was this an internet buy? Please tell me you didn't have the chance to inspect it...
Old July 16, 2018, 09:05 PM   #8
JERRYS.

while I consider Taurus suspect for many things, how did you not see this when you inspected before you paid?
Old July 16, 2018, 09:19 PM   #9
briandg

I really can't tell what I'm seeing in the rifling. whatever it is, a mess that is so visible that I could see it on a stamp sized thumbnail is bad. QC probably saw it and shipped it anyway. That is how it works now. fix it and throw away a perfectly good barrel? No, just ship it and see if it passes the last qc test, the consumer. products ship all of the time with no testing at all because it's cheaper to go through the warranty service on a few than to spend time testing them all. products get a cursory test at best. Are the five dollar christmas lights even plugged in before shipping? Not a chance, those things go from one end of assembly straight into shipping cases.

some Polymer guns, as far as I can tell are so easily interchanged that they are probably assembled, the function tested manually, and off into the box. Taurus, probably every brand, have a number of inspectors who fudge things. Big old chunk missing? meh, ship it off. No time to strip the components and throw away the ugly frame. We turn a little steel and a bit of work into a gun and sell it wholesale for probably about $100 give or take on a slim margin.

We can buy a fine, well designed polymer frame pistol for small bores for the prices of a few bottles of glenlivet, and that is a miracle in a day when labor and machining costs are a 'workable wage'. here are a few rules to know when dealing with 21st century manufacturing.

Never expect any product to come off of the shelf in a working condition. examine and test everything that you can before you put it on the register.

Don't expect a warranty to be an answer, as this incident just showed.

sometimes getting that extended warranty from the store is a better idea than you would think. changing out defective merchandise at the store instead of through a warranty center is much better.

Buy cheap and get cheap.

Never assume that something as simple as a coffee maker will have been around for so long that it will be just as well designed as the other ones are, most products now are barely recognizable as you move from top to bottom of the quality lists. The cars of the eighties, IMO, were amazingly poorly designed. water pumps with plastic bearings. Every item was designed for the least cost per unit, and designed to a minimum level of functionality. Most of the really major design changes were made to cut costs, not build better cars. the strut was created to make more room and less weight. FWD was a space saving, material saving, cost saving design used for small vehicles after the olds and buick models went under. zero insertion force chipsets were designed to prevent damage on high end sets, not to make the cheap laptop cheaper.

caveat emptor. Take the responsibility into your own hands. don't trust all of those faceless drones to look after your interests, even putting a cheeseburger together correctly is too much to ask.

Forget brand loyalty, there is no brand anymore. I never bought anything but sony from 1970 or so forward, and yes, it paid off. My sony stereo bought in 85 is still great, I've only replaced speakers and turntable needles, but will a sony television last now? Not if you buy the common numbers.

A lot of the cost of high end firearms like springfield and kimber is because of the care taken in designing and making them.

I'm astonished by optics. I don't know how the companies can manufacture a decent product some times, but they do. Much of the difference between hundreds and thousands, however, goes into the glass.
Old July 16, 2018, 11:17 PM   #10
Fjblair

My old steel PT22 with wood grips was mostly reliable but was finicky about ammo. I eventually sold it or gave it away,
Old July 17, 2018, 08:01 AM   #11
libiglou

I have a 21a that I bought in the early 90's. Made in Italy and that gun eats everything I put in it. Don't shoot it much but it is fun. Accuracy is so so but then again its not a target gun. I was tempted to get the Taurus but liked the looks of the 21a better. Good luck with this. Sounds like a nightmare.
Old July 17, 2018, 08:27 AM   #12
pete2

It's a Taurus. Pay your money and take your chances, you got a 50/50 chance at best. Too bad cause they make some neat little guns. I sold them for 3-1/2 years at a big box, more problems than anyone else. Maybe as many problems as all the others combined.
Old July 17, 2018, 09:14 AM   #13
TunnelRat

That rifling is so bad it's baffling

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 17, 2018, 11:15 AM   #14
9mm

I knew Taurus quality had problems, but this bad on a brand new gun scares me. Not sure if I would buy another, only reason I bought this because I have the bobcat 21A. It's only two guns of it's style and Taurus only one 22lr semi auto they make. I was expecting more from this gun.... I figured lcp was $200 and this was $200+ how bad could it be? Well :/

I saw some good reviews on this forum but I got bottom of the barrel
Old July 17, 2018, 07:22 PM   #15
5whiskey

So with Taurus i make a generalization. Lots of Taurus handguns are purchased by gun owners that rarely shoot and dont post on gun forums. The general public may not even realize their pistol has issues for the first year of 3 of owning it. Take it out, shoot a box of ammo, and many are done with it until a buddy of uncle Bill gives them the idea to go to the range. Those 3 or 4 stovepipes in that initial box of ammo are largely ignored, after all it worked 90% of the time and it was half the price of a Glock (but not much less than a comparable Ruger had they shopped a bit).

Any gun that is the bottom tier of pricing is likely to be treated this way about 80% of the time. The manufacturer just makes a decision to offer the cheapest of the cheap, realizing that many people who choose cheap guns just keep them under the mattress and never pull them out anyway. That descriptor is not firearm specific. Power tools often mirror this, especially more specialized tools like table saws, band saws, etc. The cheapest manufacturers make a gamble that the casual infrequent user will choose solely on price (they do), and be more or less satisfied the rare occasion they use it.I

And there is a time and place for buying the cheapest item. If you're going to install one tile backsplash, one time, a professional grade tile saw is a waste of money. The northern tool or harbor freight variety will do fine to this one task.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old July 17, 2018, 08:55 PM   #16
745SW

The brand name Taurus has been around for decades, I remember it going back as long as I can think. The inexpensive replica watch brand Invicta, I hear, is a very good seller. I guess the market has proven when a product looks good, has a low price and has questionable quality, its a real viable sustainable market.

I find consumer behavior fascinating and frustrating.
Old July 18, 2018, 08:55 AM   #17
Ibmikey

745SW, Having owned several Taurus products I find Tauru’s continued behavior pathetic and frustrating for the consumer.
Old July 18, 2018, 10:30 AM   #18
aarondhgraham

I hope Taurus fixes it for you,,,

I hope Taurus fixes it for you,,,
Because when they are in good working order,,,
The 22-PLY (and it's .25 ACP sister) are fine little shooters.

I've had mine for several years now,,,
Basically they are just range toys for me,,,
With the .25 seeing center console duty in my car.

I do love shooting the little things,,,
Both of mine have shown themselves to be extremely reliable.

Good luck with Taurus.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old July 18, 2018, 12:43 PM   #19
Onward Allusion

Can't see what's wrong with the rifling in your pics. Keyholing with mouse guns isn't anything new. What distance were you shooting?

Personally, I'd shoot another BRICK through it before I'd even consider picking up the phone to call the mfr.
Old July 18, 2018, 01:01 PM   #20
amd6547

The only pistol I have owned, including pocket rimfires, which keyholed, was a Taurus PT22.
I had to send it in for other problems, which they fixed...they ignored the part about keyholing.
I replaced it with a Beretta 21a.
Old July 18, 2018, 10:12 PM   #21
Jagrbomb

Old July 20, 2018, 08:31 AM   #22
9mm

@aarondhgraham, yes I have heard and I saw your review on it and it helped me to decide and buy it.

@Onward Allusion, the rifling has a tool mark in the barrel..

I got the email today saying it has arrived and should take up to 12 weeks..
Old July 26, 2018, 01:16 AM   #23
sigxder

I stopped buying Taurus handguns long ago. The revolvers and Beretta clones were o.k.. The rest were auto's that worked out of the box half the time. And not the other half. Bought a PT22. Last Taurus I bought. Wouldn't work from the box. Sent it in for repair. I got it back weeks later. Took it out to shoot it. Would not fire. Dropped the mag and a metal part fell out with it. To hell with Taurus!
Old July 26, 2018, 03:50 PM   #24
Cheapshooter

It was New in box, and you inspected it before purchasing?
It was an online purchase, and you didn't inspect it when you picked it up?
You are a FFL dealer, bought it online, or from a supplier shipped directly to you, and you did not clean and inspect it before you shot it?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 26, 2018, 05:03 PM   #25
Mike38

My Taurus PT22PLY must be in the good half of the 50/50. With CCI 40gr Mini Mags, it works flawlessly. I pocket carry mine daily. One thing I did find out, it likes a clean chamber. 30-40 rounds and failure to extract start popping up. But a quick brush with a 6mm bronze brush and it runs fine. This doesn't bother me too much, I have a $1200 .22cal. target pistol that does the same thing.