The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 1, 2016, 07:24 AM   #26
Jack O'Conner

We have some feral hogs in Pennsylvania but they're largely feeding during the hours of darkness. The destruction they cause is incredible. I've had good luck with my Marlin lever gun in 35 Remington shooting a 200 grain core lokt bullet.

Jack
Old October 1, 2016, 10:32 AM   #27
Capt Rick Hiott

This site will help you guys out a lot. http://lonestarboars.com/

Also,,,Here is a video that I'm sure you will like. Glenn Guess is the man when it comes to calling hogs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYKGFbbYwbU

Nothing like hunting hogs with a .454 Taurus Raging Bull

Old October 1, 2016, 11:07 AM   #28
Gunplummer

Yeah, in PA, they opened up shooting wild hogs. Can't say as I heard any complaints in my area yet. Years back the guys that raised hogs used to just build small open, roofed shelters back up against the woods along the mountains and let the hogs fend for themselves. That is saying something. We have really big bears around here. The only good thing about them(Hogs) is they will clean out the snakes. A lot of people don't know just how nasty hogs get. I have seen them pretend to be asleep and grab a full grown chicken. In my book, they are pretty much omnivorous.
Old October 1, 2016, 12:07 PM   #29
Capt Rick Hiott

Yes Sir,,,,,the only snakes we have on our hunting club are black snakes. They cant catch them there so fast.....

But yeah,,,they eat the hell out of snakes
Old October 1, 2016, 03:21 PM   #30
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
In my book, they are pretty much omnivorous.
Well, they are classified as omnivores. They have omnivore teeth, with bunodont molars, not that different from human teeth in form and function, save for the tusks which do not play a significant role in diet.
Old October 3, 2016, 08:35 AM   #31
briandg

we just got a legal ban on hog hunting here. The hog destruction teams working for the state were really tired of traps and long term work being ruined by the yokels who go rummaging around in the forest hunting them and dispersing them. One hog out of a pack of a dozen is nothing. The conservation department can take out several at a time, sometimes cleaning out nearly a whole pack with traps or snipers.

I believe that legally you are responsible for reporting them. allowing them to escape or putting them into the wild is a criminal infraction with serious penalties. Hunting a hog on public land is a crime now. Once the hogs are on your own property or on other private property you can do whatever you want.
Old October 3, 2016, 10:23 AM   #32
ligonierbill

Yokels rummaging around in the forest?! I'm shocked! We certainly don't have any yokels here in OH-IO. And I believe rummaging is strictly forbidden.
Old October 3, 2016, 11:16 AM   #33
briandg

We had a yokel hear who was busted for letting hogs onto open land that he owned that backed onto state park property. He claimed that he was experimenting with free range pork production and things got a little out of hand.

I think that he meant it. Turn them loose to grow, then hunt and eat them.