The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 10, 2016, 08:11 AM   #26
NHSHOOTER

Saltydog, I have hunted in SC for the past 2 years, this will be my third, first year was just a 3 day hunt end of november, got a smallish spike buck, last year I was there first week of November, just the end of the rut where I was (leesville) but I did score 2 nice 8 pointers and a doe on a different day, the 8's were killed with a 7-08 one shot each and the doe with a 243 with 85 gr hollow points, lung shot she went about 30 yds and folded. I will bring both rifles again this year. The young guy that is going with me has gotten himself a 30-06 from his grandfather. Too much gun in my opinion but that is what he has and I am sure it will do the job, he is a member of a gun club and he will be practicing weekly. The nice thing about where we hunt in SC and as you all that hunt there know its stand hunting and 90% of the time you can rest your rifle on the stand rail. We are going the 4th week of october this year, hopefully we will catch some of the rut..I will of course provide pictures.
Old September 10, 2016, 02:35 PM   #27
T. O'Heir

What's his budget? I'd be thinking of suggesting he think long term and consider a rifle/cartridge suitable for all game anywhere in North America. That'd be .27 calibre to .30 calibre with no magnum's.
Used is an option, but this time of year isn't right for used hunting rifles. That's just after deer season.
And he'd best get his finger out of he's planning on hunting this year. It's not a case of buying the rifle and going hunting. It has to be sighted in as a minimum.
"...old military guns can be inexpensive choices..." Not any more they aren't. Unless it's been 'sporterised' stuff like oh say a 1903A3 will run close to a grand. Deerslayer303's No. 4 Mk 1 Enfield, in safe to shoot condition, $500 plus. The days of milsurps being cheap are long gone
210 bruiser. HAHAHAHA. We have bigger deer living near downtown London. snicker.
Old September 10, 2016, 03:59 PM   #28
deerslayer303

Hey 210lbs is big around here . Not the tiny deer most people think. The problem is the bag limits IMO, when you can shoot as many bucks as you want, what stops people from shooting that little spike or 4 point? What gives them a reason to wait on something bigger? What gives them a reason to pass on that little yearling buck and let him mature? I say Nothing. They can shoot him, harvest all of his 25lbs of meat. And go back out the next day and shoot the first thing that walks out. As for my rifle. It cost a whole 69 dollars at Roses Dept. Store. My Dad bought it for me when I was 14 and together we Sporterized it to what it is today. I would never Pay the price for an Enfield today and Sporterize it. So many more options available ready to go for far cheaper than you would have in the finished product.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old September 10, 2016, 06:40 PM   #29
2damnold4this

Ok, it sounds like he has his grandfather's 30-06 which is capable of killing any deer on the planet. He might enjoy shooting your rifles and then practicing with the one he will take on the hunt.
Old September 11, 2016, 01:41 PM   #30
smee78

There is a reason we call them suit case deer around here lol. OP, I hope you have a good hunt, the 30-06 your friend picked up is more than enough and the best thing about it is you can always find ammo for it. I have always used my ole tried and true 30-30 for my deer hunting needs, it works for here and when I go back home to TX. I am interested in using a 7.62X39 AR I purpose built for hunting but have not been able to get to the loading bench to work up a hunting load yet so I guess it will have to wait until next year
Old September 12, 2016, 08:34 AM   #31
Longshot4

First of all your young hunter won't need a big bumer. To incurage your youngster don't get him a kicker. I feal to learn how to hunt Deer he will need to place the shot. So forget about the auto's. My no one choice would be a bolt in a 243. A Rem. 700, Win. mod. 70 or a Ruger American.
Old September 12, 2016, 10:28 AM   #32
reynolds357

338 Lapua.
Seriously, that is my "beanfield rifle of the year" for this year.
Old September 12, 2016, 04:32 PM   #33
NHSHOOTER

Longshot4, You will need to go back a few replies, my young hunter friend has gotten a 30-06 from his grandfather, I do believe its a model 70 winchester. Too much gun but it was free.
Old September 14, 2016, 04:46 PM   #34
Jack O'Conner

I suggest a lever action carbine mounted with a 4X scope. 30-30 has been a TOP seller for these conditions for over a 100 years!

30-30 is a keeper!

Jack
Old September 17, 2016, 07:33 AM   #35
Wyosmith

Sometimes the obvious seems to escape us, and is as good a chose as any. See Jack O'Connor's suggestion above.

This year I will probably kill my deer with a peep sighted Marlin 30-30. It's just a nice rifle to hunt with, kills deer well with 170 grain bullets and is fine out to 200 yards.

I have many rifles that would work on deer out to much longer ranges, but that not important to me this year. I enjoy the old Marlin.
Old September 17, 2016, 09:45 AM   #36
FairWarning

The vanilla choice is .270 Win 130 gr.

But of course, half of the fun of hunting is using something a little different. So I would go with 6.5 Swede or 7mm08. The "secret" about 7mm08 is out now, so it's becoming more mainstream, although you may still have trouble finding a variety of ammo in places that have all the old standards....

For open sight hunts, I use my K31 7.5x55 Swiss. Definitely a conversation starter, and essentially the same as .308, but in an more interesting package.
Old September 17, 2016, 04:37 PM   #37
NHSHOOTER

The big secret with the 7-08 is to roll your own, which I do cause I have 2 of them, Remington model 7 and a ruger 77 Hawkeye..