The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 16, 2005, 04:32 PM   #26
Lonestar.45

I once shot a squirrel in the top of a big oak with an arrow. I was disgusted after a morning hunt, and about to leave the stand, when the squirrel that had been barking at me all morning, decides to come back out and make some more racket (he's probably the reason I never saw anything). He was in the top of this oak, and there were dozens of branches and leaves between me and him. I figured I'd scare him. I drew back and aimed through a quarter sized hole in the branches, and took his head clean off. I don't know who was more surprised, me or him. I had bbq'd squirrel that day for lunch. That reinforced my belief that one should only shoot at what they're willing to eat. I don't shoot at squirrels with my bow anymore.
Old August 16, 2005, 06:33 PM   #27
tintcutter

I'll tell this on my old man.

The family story says it was 350 yards, but I was there and it was a midge more. It happened in Alaska.

We spotted a bull moose laying in tallish grass, hard to see much but the head. Dear old dad eased on down past some brush and took his shot with the Swedish made Remington he was carrying. He always used a 7 mag with 175 grain handloads. So after the shot we waited and were excited. When we figured it was surely down for good we paced on over and found his mark squarely on a stump with some branchy wood coming out of it.

He was always embarassed about not being more sure of his target. I know he would have whipped my butt if I shot rifles up into the air like some of these other posters, even if we were in AK.
Old August 16, 2005, 10:12 PM   #28
wyrdone

Picture this:

Eastern Shore in January

Patch of 5 deer slowly working thier way across the field just before sundown.

.50Cal Blackpowder Rifle, 300Gr Bullet, 120Gr powder.

My brother takes a shot at 250Yds and misses. The deer looks up stares at him for a couple minutes then goes back to eating.

He reloads, takes another shot and misses again. The deer looks at him again, then goes back to slowly eating it's way across the field.

On the third shot (and another miss) the Deer finally decide it might be pushing their luck and wander off to eat elsewhere.

I swear the deer on the Eastern Shore are combat trained.

On the other hand I once got a running rabbit at 50Yds with a .22LR bolt action.
CZ-50
CVA Bobcat .50Cal Blackpower
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (1942)
Marlin 336 .30-30 Lever Action
Yugo SKS 59/66
CZ-52
Bulgarian Makarov
Swiss K-31
Rock Island 1911A1

Near Future (hopefully):
M1 Garand
CZ-75
Old August 20, 2005, 07:34 AM   #29
N.H. Yankee

I forgot to put this one in my previous post. I made the shot of a lifetime by accident. I was 18 and hunting with a friend of mine, I had an old 22 marlin minus a front sight. we were just out plinking when he saw a bluejay in a tree about 150 yards away and he challenged me to hit it. I half heartedly took aim and shot, too my amazement and his the bluejay fell dead out of the tree. I was shocked and decided to call it a day before I was challenged to another impossible shot. To this day the guy thinks I did it out of skill!
Old August 20, 2005, 08:38 PM   #30
Jseime

personally ive taken a yote at about 300 with a .243 and dropped a mule deer at 250 with my .270. those arent spectacular but not too bad.

i shot a gopher with the last shot from a full magazine at about 100 once and have never been able to do it again.
Old August 25, 2005, 09:50 PM   #31
Jack O'Conner

Several years ago we were hunting 'lopes near the edge of town on the state lands. Single file a band came running by at about 150 yards. Lickety split, they were running full speed, about 50 mph. I led the first doe about one body length and squeezed the trigger on my .243 Remington. The doe right behind her did a cartwheel and died in a cloud of dust. My brother still thinks I'm a great running rifle shot. But it was luck. S-h-h-h, don't tell.
Jack
Old August 26, 2005, 08:41 PM   #32
bugmantrap

partridge

I was driving a Farmall Super M tractor to go pick up a log we had dropped earlier. The neighbors kid was going hunting in the back lot and had a stevens single shot 22 with him. He asked for a ride and I told him to jump on the back and hold on. i asked him if the gun was loaded and he said yes. I asked him to get off and unload but before we could stop a partridge got up in front of the tractor and flew straight away from us. Jokingly I said give it to him and the kid killed him deader than hell with a one handed shot off the bouncing tractor.
I chewed his butt out good but when he had left I thought I would pee my pants I was laughing so hard. PS he took the bird home and had his mom cook it up for me.
Old August 29, 2005, 03:07 PM   #33
2rugers

I tell this one for my father also. A 1st Cavalry Veteran of korea and vietnam he passed away in Oct. of 2000. My father and older brother were hunting for small game on Ft. Hood in the 60's. As they were walking along up flushed a covey of quail, my father took (ONE SHOT) with his Sears and Roebuk 12 ga., and they went home with (EIGHT) Quail! Miss you Daddy, b.
Old August 29, 2005, 03:59 PM   #34
fisherman66

I had a fly land on my target at the range (50 yards). I hit it with a 22lr. Left a little splatter. Not really a great shot, but amusing.

Walking 'yote from about 100 yards (heart/lung). Not a great shot either, but I won't take a chance on walking deer. Just not enough practice.

Neck shot deer once.

Nothing exceptional. I guess I'm kinda proud of not taking too many low percentage shots.

EDIT> I peppered a truck once with bird shot from 100 yards. No damage, but I got royally chewed out. Deserved every bit of it.
Old August 29, 2005, 05:16 PM   #35
jcims

Sitting on the front porch with my new Daisy BB gun. A robin lands on a fence about 40 yards away. I aim for the fence to scare him off..pull the trigger and the robin drops off the fence like a stuffed animal...didn't even flutter his wings.

Upon closer inspection found that the BB hit him square in the eye...
Old August 29, 2005, 05:55 PM   #36
Charles S

My best personal shot ever was a crow at 175 steps with my Dads 243.

My luckiest personal shot was a running rabbit, he was running along the berm at the rifle range, at 50 yards I drew and shot him in the head with my S&W 45 ACP. I know it was luck, but I had witnesses and was pretty proud of the shot.

The shot I am the most proud of was last years six point buck at 25 yards with my bow. My first bow season and my first deer with a bow. I was elated. Nothing impressive, but I thought it was great.

My Dad shot a flying crow with his 22 Marlin rifle.

My brother shot a deer at 351 yards, laser ranged, off handed with his 7 mag Savage. I was impressed.

Charles
Old August 30, 2005, 06:32 AM   #37
Benonymous

I shot three ducks with my air pistol on Monday night.

Okay, so they were metal silhouettes on the 10 meter range at my club.
Old August 30, 2005, 08:55 AM   #38
Rangefinder

I blew a duck up once... A friend came pounding on my door at O-dark-thirty (not uncommon for this guy) wanting me to go duck hunting with him. Holding one eye open manually, I grabbed my shotgun, vest, stuffed some shells in the pockets, and off we went. I was still about half asleep in the blind when the first couple ducks came in, but I raised and fired on one. "POOF!!" The duck exploded--pretty much in a literal sense. I was confused (but awake), poor dog didn't know what to do--so he brought back a wing.

The last time I wore that vest was the previous fall hunting in a shotgun/muzzle loader area, and apparently I still had a few slugs in one of the pockets. Yup, I smacked a duck with a deer slug. OOPS!

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old August 30, 2005, 10:48 PM   #39
HOKIEHUNTER

not really anything to do with hunting, but one time i was playing ultimate frisbee with ome friends (frisbee football...) and after we were done i saw a rabbit about 20 yards away. threw the disc as hard as i could, hit the rabbit in stride, sent it rolling, but it got up confused and ran into some bushes. it was pretty freakin hilarious, but like i said had nothing to do with hunting...
Old August 31, 2005, 11:46 AM   #40
20cows

I hit a rock 6' across on the side of a hill, first shot, at 400 yds with a smoothbore .875" cannon I made. The puff of white dust was very gratifying.
Old September 20, 2005, 11:07 PM   #41
FrontSight

saw a buddy of mine hit a flying goose at 90 yards with a rifled slug thru a smoothbore shotgun
Old September 20, 2005, 11:21 PM   #42
roy reali

Little Bullet, Little Bird

I was at my dad's farm with my son. He was five or six at the time. I grabbed my dad's Remington 581 and some 22 shorts to impress my son.

On one of the large oak trees a blue jay had landed near the top of it, over fifty feet above the ground. My son and I were standing about one hundred yards away. I put a short into the chamber and leaned against the barn door. I advised my son to watch. I centered the bird in the crosshairs, and elevated the aim to compensate for the drop. I really, really had no thought of actually coming close to that bird. To my surprise the trigger pull resulted in a bird falling deader than a door nail.

My son was impressed. He asked me to try another similar shot. I told him we should not reduce the bird population all at once.
Old September 21, 2005, 01:05 AM   #43
trooper3385

West Texas Auadad hunt

This one is probably unbelievable, but I promise its true. When I was 12 my dad and I were sitting in a ground level deer blind on the side of a hill (West Texas). Two Turkey's came out about 500 yards away. It was starting to get late, and we hadn't seen anything all day. So I decided to try and take a shot. I had a winchester model 70 featherweight 270. I missed with the first shot and the Turkey started running back and forth. Looked like a chicken with his head chopped off. Anyway, next shot I dropped it. I stepped it off at just under 500 yards. I don't think I could ever make that shot again on a running Turkey at that distance. It was definatly luck. Of course there wasn't to much left of the Turkey. Another one was a couple of years later and my dad and I were hunting Auadad in the Glass mountains in West Texas. We jumped a trophy Auadad (31 in curl) and it started running directly away from us, probably about 75 yards away. Everytime it would top the hill, we took a shot at it but kept missing. On the last hill before it got out of site, the ram started over it. All we could see was his rear as it went over. My dad took on last shot at it and connected. Trailed it for about a mile before we finally found it. Doesn't sound that great until now. We never found a bullet hole in the hide if you know what I mean. Made a hole in one!!!
Old September 24, 2005, 10:10 PM   #44
Jack O'Conner

My brother and me were hunting on state lands just outside of Garland, Wyoming one morning. We spooked a band of 'lopes and away they bounded in single file across the prairie. I aimed at the lead doe and fired. The doe behind her turned into a tan and white cartwheel going end over end a couple times. My brother thought I was aiming at that one to this very day. S-s-h-h don't tell him it was a luck shot!
Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; September 26, 2005 at 08:22 AM.
Old September 25, 2005, 10:06 AM   #45
RugerOldArmy

We were on a hunting trip in Wyoming, and as I came back to the cabin where my buddies were watching a movie, I looked through the window, and Sharon Stone shot a beaver, all the way from California! Very impressive.

On a more serious note, the best shot I remember was a buddy of mine shooting a pheasant. We were hunting with muzzleloading shotguns and had flushed two pheasants. I hit one with a caplock. My friend had a 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore, and a hangfire. By the time the gun went off the bird was about 50+ yards off, and had turned to a flightpath almost 90 degrees. He hit it with 7/8th oz of No. 8 shot in a cylinder bore. You really have to follow through with a flintlock smoothbore, even when all goes well! Click, klatch, *POOF*..............<time stands still>......*BOOM*
Old September 29, 2005, 10:23 AM   #46
dfaugh

When I was young (16)

I guess i had read too much Jack O'Connor, and decided I needed a .270 as the best "all around gun",so I saved my pennies and bought a used Winchester 770(short barrel, carbine)...Had a cheap 3x9x (tasco?) scope mounted on it...Gun (or me) was never accurate, lucky to shoot 3'' groups at 100 yards......

Went out with my buddy on a nice spring day, took the .270, looking for woodchucks...We crested a hill and W-A-Y down the hill was a woodchuck, grazing...We were standing in grass about 3' high so I asked my buddy to sit, so I could use his shoulder as a rest...I held way high and touched one off...And sure as heck the woodchuck pretty much exploded (while my buddy said some REALLY bad words, the muzzleblast on that thing was wicked)... We paced it off at somewhere around 350 yards....Pure unadulterated dumb luck...but makes for good story telling!

P.S. My buddy harrassed me for along time, said his ears rang for days, probably some permanent damage to his hearing from that one,but, hey, we were young and stupid!

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old January 3, 2006, 05:03 PM   #47
Niantician

Turkey vultchers are protected where I live so this shot was illegal and immoral. But it was the best shot I've seen. He was perched 40ft up in a tree. My friend had just lost 2 kittens to something so he was trigger happy. He saw the bird from his couch through his window across the pond about 80yards away. Instead of grabbing his scoped savage 17, For some reason he went for the shotgun. This might make sense if the shell was loaded with bird or even buckshot, but it wasn't. He took out that bird with a slug with 1 shot. We ran over to it and I told him what it was, and he was honestly ashammed. But it was a great shot
Old January 4, 2006, 09:53 PM   #48
STITCH

I wouldn’t necessarily call it an incredible shot but it was my best one to date. My hunting buddy and my self turned the corner on one of the roads of his hunting club and we jumped two deer as we were cursing our luck he noticed a boar about 400 yards down the road so I jumped out and ran down the road to get a closer shot, I’m not the most fit guy by any means so the 100 yard dash I made while carrying my heavy barreled 30-06 and wearing hunting boots left me way out of breath. I drop to a prone position and use my rangefinder in my scope and range the animal at 275 yards away. I didn’t feel comfortable taking a shot like that with my heart rate making my scope dance around so I got up and snuck up a few more yards closer I again hit the ground in the prone position and range him again this time he is about 220 yards away and my heart had slowed down a bit so with him facing me I took the shot (now bare in mind that this boar would not sit still) hitting him in his back leg. He took off the best he could down the road jumping and weaving, I chamber another round and make the kill shot to his heart dropping him 240 yards away.
Old January 6, 2006, 02:04 PM   #49
High Planes Drifter

Two shots :

First shot was with my Sheridan. I was about 10 at the time , and was hunting alone for dove, bluejay, just anything really. I shot this blue jay, I kid you not, at about 80 yards with my Sheridan. I go over and pick the bird up, still surprised I made the shot. The freaking thing wakes up in my hand ! It grabs hold of the web of my thumb and begins to bite the crap out of me ; even after I opened my hand its still got a hold of me and wont let go. I started shaking my hand up and down and still it wont turn loose, it hurt soooo bad. So I sit down and with ONE HAND , I reload my Sheridan , and pump it 6 times. Then , with the bird dangling from my hand I shoot it again. At last it finally turned loose of my throbing hand. Thats how I learned to kick everything I shoot before I pick it up

Second Shot was with my .30-30 . We were hunting hogs. A sow walked out about 30 yards off the road I was standing on. I raised up and shot ; she dropped on the spot. I walked over to her ( and kicked her ) and notice a SECOND DEAD HOG . Turns out the second one was standing right behind her. Bullet passed through the first hogs throat, right where I aimed ; and hit the second hog right in the eye. Neither of them were really big, but it was the luckiest shot I've ever made.
Old January 6, 2006, 07:02 PM   #50
Ozzieman

I am on the wanted list for the Groudhog population

My best shot was on a windy day several years ago.
I have farmers call me in the spring and tell me where to go to hunt on there land.
I should add here that I am not that good a shot but just have a lot of chances.
Have a V77 ruger heavy barrel in 6mm rem that I use to end the lives of ground hogs. I have the gun sighted in for 300 yards with a chart that tells me where to sight in it shoting at 100. What that does for me is from 50 yards to 500 (not that I would take one that long) if a ground hog is standing up and I shot him center mass I have a good chance of hitting him.
Well one day with a friend hunting the evil ground hog, Ok we were sniping them I noticed one a LONG way away, farther than I had ever shot before. And that includes anything.
I placed the cross hares above him and touched it off and the bullet hit right where I was aming which was well beyond where he was.
"CRAP!"
He ran about 20 yards stoped and stood up and looked at the small cloud where the bullet hit and at that point I touched off the next one.
Well he diddnt walk away from that one and the price went up on my head throughout the ground hog comunity.
My friend and I both walked it off and between the two of us it was ether 420 or 445 yards.