The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 18, 2011, 01:58 AM   #1
Blacktail_Slayer

Hunting the Rut brag board

I just shot the third deer of my hunting career.
My first was 2009, a spike I just happened to walk up on.
The second was a yearling doe I took pitty on in 2010 because it had a broken twisted leg.
The third was this morning at 9:45 am.
This year I drew a tag that allowed me to hunt all 3 of washington's seasons, archery, muzzleloader, and modern firearm.
I decided I was going to make it worth the draw of the tag and so I buckled down. I started scouting my area in March and hit it hard at least 3 days a week. No matter the close calls, I didnt worry too much, I wanted to hunt the rut. The best season for the rut in my area is late modern firearm season, a 4 day season (this year Nov 17-20). I recently read a book written by Scott Haugen about hunting trophy blacktails and was eager to employ what I learned about hunting the rut and rattling for bucks. Something that is more associated with whitetail hunting.
The spot I had a good feeling about was back in some big timber, where it borders young jack firs. On the other side of the jack firs about 100 yards is a set of powerlines that is an active feeding area.
Before I headed there this morning I worked the outside edge of the jack firs, and saw a buck (didnt see the size so I didnt shoot) about 200 yards away another hunter missed a 4X4. The recent cold nasty weather had the bucks rutting hard. Then as it began to rain I headed to my spot in the timber. Sat up on a big old stump that makes for a mini-tree stand. I rattled on and off for about 10 min. I looked behind me and saw a doe 20 yards away, moving by at a slow trot. This buck came in with his nose to her rear. I couldnt stop him so I shot on the trot. Couldnt of done better, heartshot.
My first truly good buck, my first time really scouting and working for an animal, and my first deer using any kind of calling.
I have a passion for the rut. Please everyone share their experiences and pictures of hunting the rut, deer or elk.
Still feeling the adrenaline from this morning and that was over 12 hours ago haha.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deer head.JPG (69.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Deer stump.JPG (224.3 KB, 45 views)
Old November 18, 2011, 07:00 AM   #2
taylorce1

Nice black tail deer! I don't have any rut stories as I've not hit a full on rut in years.
Old November 19, 2011, 08:26 AM   #3
ISP 5353

Good story and congrats on your buck!