The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 28, 2010, 02:12 PM   #1
KS1911

Suppressor Question

Does anyone happen to know if it is safe/possible to use a 9mm suppressor on a 6.8 SPC AR?

I know that generally you can use a smaller round through a suppressor such as a 22 lr through a 5.56 can, or 22 through a 9mm, but are there any issues with pressure and such between specifically the 9mm and 6.8?
Old January 28, 2010, 02:22 PM   #2
moccassins

not well advised, the 9mm suppressor is a handgun suppressor and the 6.8 is a rifle round

"One does not go to the top of a mountain for water or to a white man for the truth" tribal proverb
Old January 28, 2010, 10:26 PM   #3
s_markum

Moccassins is right. A can built for rifle round are designed with different specs. The inner tube may or may not take kindly to the difference in pressure. Different metals and thicknesses are used and have differnent burst ratings. I have fired many smaller rifle rounds through my 30cal can, but the db reduction is not as drastic. It just comes down to the fact that more gas escapes with a smaller projectile. The more gas you can slow and dampen the quieter your can.