The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 26, 2018, 09:07 AM   #1
napg19

Ruger LCP recoil spring upgrade

Hi, have a new LCP, no dash in serial number and asterisk stamped on trigger bar.
Want to buy Wolff recoil spring calibration pak with 11,12 and 13lb springs.
Inner recoil spring does not have the larger coil on one end like the older lcp I had years ago. Wolff is closed today. Does wolff's springs come with or with out larger coil for the newer lcp? Or wait till tuesday an call wolff.
Called Ruger an was told the newer spring has such a smaller large loop on one end it's hard to tell which end goes into front of slide. Also said slide won't rack if placed in backwards. It does work either way it's put in.
Only reason to change is older now, arthritis and getting weaker.
If this is a bad change to make please let me know.
All info always appreciated and Thanks.
Old May 27, 2018, 06:38 AM   #2
Remington74

Ruger lists different recoil springs for the newer and older LCP So I suspect they made some change in the slide or spring diameters such that the larger coil end is no longer needed. If Wolff lists a separate part number for use in the new LCP it will probably not have the larger end to meet the Ruger spec's. A call to Wolff will put this matter to rest. I have the older LCP and will be interested in what they have to say.
Old May 27, 2018, 09:54 AM   #3
napg19

I will call Ruger and Wolff tuesday and let you know what I find out. Thanks for response, Richard.
Old May 27, 2018, 07:48 PM   #4
1MoreFord

You can also try Galloway Precision for springs.

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp/
Old May 30, 2018, 06:35 PM   #5
napg19

Sorry it took so long to get back. shopruger.com has a breakdown of which set of springs go to which LCP. And they are right. So I called Wolff gun springs. I was told Wolff makes the recoil springs for Ruger. And Ruger engineering has changed the spring design so that both inner and outer spring sets fit both gen1 and gen2 LCP's. No more one end inner spring larger than the other end. And the new set is the only one Wolff sells now. Wolff also said 9lbs. used to be the standard spring. Ruger now feels that is too week , so 11lbs. is now the standard spring for both gen1 and gen2 LCP'S. Wolff says 13lbs spring is their best seller. on their site 9lbs. is listed as a reduced power spring. I said the magazine spring was real easy to load bullets, like it was week. He said someone else makes Rugers magazine springs and they use a soft wire. Wolff sells a 5% stronger mag spring made from stronger wire. I asked if using a stronger recoil spring does any damage to gun. He said no. It all depends on loads you are using, how you grip gun, what stance, position you use, elbows bent or not, limp wrist, one hand, both hands, and which set of spring weight you use that effects the recoil of gun. MAKE SURE GUN CYCLES UNDER DIFFERENT SHOOTING CONDITIONS AND WORKS EVERY TIME FOR SELF DEFENSE . He really emphasized the last part. So I ordered the recoil calibration pak and a pak of mag springs . Sorry about writing a book, hope this helps everyone, Richard.

Last edited by napg19; May 30, 2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old May 31, 2018, 05:52 AM   #6
Remington74

Thanks for the information. I'll have to check that out.
Old May 31, 2018, 08:47 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good info napg19