The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 25, 2018, 01:34 PM   #1
macsr01

Century PW87

Being left handed, lever action rifles work well for me, but I’ve been eyeing the Century PW87 lately. Remake of the Winchester 1887. Has anyone bought one of these, and if so, have you had any issues with it ?
Old February 25, 2018, 02:56 PM   #2
turkeestalker

I picked one up over a year ago and my sons and I have had a lot of fun with it.
The lever is a bit sharp edged and I did hand it to a fella to try while shooting clays one day that handed it back with bloody knuckles from it.

Part of what caused that is the fact that you have to operate them very positively.
It's a pretty long stroke lever and you have to use it's full stroke like you mean to use it's full stroke, or you'll have occasional feed problems with 2 3/4 inch field loads, (all I've ever fed it).
Work it like you mean it and you won't have any problems.

Other than that it is hella fun to play with behind a clay bird thrower and not nearly as mule-ish in the kick like you'd expect it to be for it's weight.

The way that they block the split fore stock isn't all that effective and it can creep forward under recoil. I shimmed mine and fixed the issue, pull it apart and you'll see what I mean.

Only other complaint is the ridiculous billboard engraved in the left side of the receiver, but hey... it is what it is.

Get one, you'll not regret it at the right price.
Old March 1, 2018, 09:24 AM   #3
MagnumWill

I’ve been looking at the Chiappa mare’s leg version of the 1887. It looks like a blast...once I find $1,000 on the sidewalk somewhere...
Old March 2, 2018, 03:15 AM   #4
macsr01

I love lever guns, have several rifles but this really cappella to me, Think I’m going to go on and pull the trigger and get me one of these.
Old March 7, 2018, 04:41 AM   #5
turkeestalker

Enjoy!
Hope to hear your thoughts when you do.
Old May 8, 2018, 07:14 AM   #6
Mikebw26

I've got one and I love it. I throw rifled slugs out of it with no issues at all. In fact I'm trying to figure out a way to mount a scope on it if y'all have any ideas I'd appreciate it
Old May 8, 2018, 05:33 PM   #7
muzzleblast...

My friend in Alaska bought one about four years ago. He keeps it in "moose camp" loaded with alternating slug / buckshot in case he needs to send a warm welcome to an overly friendly grizzly. He also has used it for gathering "spruce hens". He really likes it and has had no issues.