The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 25, 2017, 06:25 PM   #1
Captains1911

Pistol Suppressor Reliability Issue

I just acquired an AAC Illusion 9mm, and today I went to test it on a Gen4 G17 with a Silencerco threaded barrel. First, I tested the gun without the can to ensure the barrel is reliable, and it is with several different types of ammo I tested. Then, I attached the can, and immediately had failure to feed malfunctions with almost every one of the first 10-15 rounds, with two different ammo types, and two different magazines. Then, it seemed to settle in and ran flawlesly. I removed the can, let it cool all the way down, reattached and then loaded up the same mags with the same ammo that caused the initial problems, and it ran 100% reliable.

So any ideas why it was so problematic at first? Could it be that the piston spring needed a little breaking in? This is my first pistol can so I have lite experience with them. Thanks for the help.
Old November 26, 2017, 08:56 AM   #2
smee78

Did you clean the can when you first got it? Could of been some dried grease or crudd inside it and once it melted or got blown out the problem went away?
Old November 26, 2017, 10:18 AM   #3
Unconventional

Maybe the booster/Nielsen device was hung up or needed to loosen up, or needed some breaking in?

I'm glad to hear it's working well now!
Old November 26, 2017, 12:26 PM   #4
Theohazard

Did you lube up the piston before you shot it? A lack of lube might have been the culprit at first, and then once you shot it a few times maybe the new o-ring around the piston smoothed out a bit and allowed it to function.

I've seen many pistols that didn't run reliably with a can with some types of ammo, but ran fine with the same ammo without the can. In most cases it was due to underpowered range ammo or reloads, or due to an un-lubed piston.

Here's the thing: The presence of a can is going to make a pistol a little less reliable on average and a little more ammo-sensitive. Make sure your piston stays lubed and pay attention to the types of ammo it doesn't like, and you should be fine.
Old November 26, 2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Captains1911

Before I shot it I took it apart to lubricate per the manual, and inspected everything. It was all clean and dry. I only put a small amount of grease on the inside of the rear cap that the piston slides in and out of, because that’s all the manual recommends. After taking it apart and cleaning it after shooting yesterday, I now see the wear spots on the piston, and I greased it and the spring this time before reassembling. After seeing that wear I’m thinking it probably did just need a little breaking in.
Old November 26, 2017, 12:47 PM   #6
Captains1911

Question...should the teeth on the front end of the piston be lubed as well? They seemed to have quite a bit of wear.
Old November 26, 2017, 12:58 PM   #7
Theohazard

It wouldn't hurt as long as you don't use too much, but the main area that needs lubrication is the shaft of the piston.
Old November 26, 2017, 01:19 PM   #8
reddog81

I've got an AAC Illusion, lone wolf barrel on a G17 and it has been very reliable for me. I've only put a box of factory ammo through it, but probably have close to 500 reloads through it. I can't recall any malfunctions(other than reload problems due brass being slightly to big to chamber).

The wear on the teeth would concern me a little. I don't recall noticing that. The piston can be hard to disassemble from the unit. I have no idea what kind of lube would work the best. I just use whatever is handy, but would love to know what others successfully use.
Old November 27, 2017, 01:31 PM   #9
Captains1911

Another 60 rounds today of 147gr Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST, no problem at all. I was a little surprised at how loud they are though, considering they’re sub sonic.
Old November 29, 2017, 09:41 PM   #10
Mobuck

"Another 60 rounds today of 147gr Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST, no problem at all. I was a little surprised at how loud they are though, considering they’re sub sonic."
The movie sound isn't realistic.
Old December 20, 2017, 08:33 PM   #11
fl_rich

What? You mean their not really "Silent"? Come on' it's in the name ~