The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 22, 2015, 04:47 PM   #1
Comcam

Model 98 Mauser

Was recently given a sporterized model 98, no markings anywhere on the rifle except (cal.30/06. Serial number and Model 98) trying to get as much info as I can. Small ring, large ring, etc...

http://s180.photobucket.com/user/com...?sort=3&page=1
Old May 22, 2015, 10:48 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If it says "Mod. 98" on the left side it was originally a K.98k from the WWII era, a strong large ring Mauser. It has been "sporterized" with a turned down bolt handle, a commercial low-scope safety and a sporter stock.

I can't tell from the pictures whether the serial number is original or not, but if the original has been removed, and you are in the U.S., do not accept the gun; possession of any firearm with its serial number removed or altered is a federal crime, no matter who removed the number or when.

Jim
Old May 23, 2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Comcam

Thanks Jim!!
The serial number is the same on the reciver and top of the bolt handle, it is in the bend, but you can make it out in good lighting so I should be fine there. How would I tell if it was a long action or short action?
Old May 23, 2015, 01:29 PM   #4
Jimro

There are no short action milsurp M98 actions. Only the Yugo Mausers came in "intermediate" length which was slightly shorter than standard, but still more than enough for an 8x57 cartridge.

So you have a standard action Mauser. It will handle up to 30-06 length cartridges with only minor modification to magazine box and feed ramp. Many milsurp M98 actions were modified to hold the 375 H&H, but that generally pulls more metal off than I care for.

Jimro
Old May 23, 2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Comcam

Thanks Jimro. I am trying to figure out which stock to order to replace the one it has now.

http://s180.photobucket.com/user/com...?sort=3&page=1
Old May 23, 2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Jimro

Look for "large ring M98" and see what you can find.

B&C Medallist stocks are pretty good.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock-...er-barrel.html

I've also used Boyd's Laminates in the past.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Produc...inate-finished

Jimro
Old May 23, 2015, 09:00 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

This looks a lot like a Spanish commercial Mauser action I got, same safety, similar bolt and no other markings.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:46 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

I just checked three different 98Ks and the gas vent holes in the bolts of all of them are oval, not round.

The safety is aftermarket, from the Numrich Arms (Gun Parts Corp), I have had several of them over the years.

The trigger guard is aftermarket, not the original Mauser. Nicely done blind box magazine.

bent bolt handle, polished and blued, drilled & tapped, Someone did a lot of work on it.
Old May 24, 2015, 04:04 AM   #9
Jimro

44 AMP,

Round vent holes on the bolt body mean it was a late war, "Kriegsmodell" k98 action. Vent holes were drilled instead of milled, no bayonet lug, no stock disk, etc, all to simplify production.

Jimro
Old May 24, 2015, 08:26 AM   #10
Comcam

Thanks a bunch guys I really appreciate all the info!! This is my first Mauser, I usually stick to Weatherbys and a few odds and ends that have been passed down to me over the last 39 years. I am thinking this would be a perfect platform to have customized for my son since ALOT of the work has been done. I checked out Boyds, Jimro and was pretty impressed with a couple of their stocks, so I think now it's time to try to find a good smith around here and get this project started! Thanks again guys!!
Old May 24, 2015, 09:14 AM   #11
Jimro

Comcam, where do you live? If you are anywhere near Colorado I'd recommend Mike McCabe. http://www.mccabeguns.com/mccabecontact.html

Jimro
Old May 24, 2015, 10:37 AM   #12
Comcam

I am down in Fort Walton Beach, Fl. There are a couple in the surrounding area, but I have not heard good things about them. I have taken my AR and service weapon to various places up North and have not been happy at all. Might have to look at shipping it off somewhere, just hate messing with all the FFL crap. Thanks for the heads up on Mike I will definietly check his site out.

Tags
mauser 98 , model 98