The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 5, 2011, 04:02 PM   #26
kinoons

Jimbob

Wolf, Norma, and Hornady all produce soft point Swiss 7.5x55 for $1-$1.50 a round. I'm sure components are available if you look. Can't walk into walmart and get some, but it's not less common then hen's teeth either.
Old December 5, 2011, 04:14 PM   #27
jimbob86

kinoons-

Is the hornady stuff made with the proper .306 bullet or do they just use .308 bullet like they suggest doing in their fifth ed. manual?

I know it probably works, but I also know about all the hullaballoo over the .002 difference in the 8mm mauser and 8mm mauser JS ..... The straight pull actions are not the strongest design, either ......

No, I would not recommend a gun that is not easy to feed correctly, or inexpensively, when there are so many more better and economical options out there......
Old December 5, 2011, 04:58 PM   #28
loose_holster_dan

tikka t3 or remmy 700

i love my remmy 700sps tactical aac.

i like 308. while not the preferred round for deer or varmint, it will do either, and you can also find cheap bulk ammo for plinking around.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old December 5, 2011, 05:01 PM   #29
Stealth01

Coopers... Take your pick! I have the Model 54 Varminter in 260 Remington. The factory 3 shot test group measured 9mm @ 100 yards!!

Old December 5, 2011, 09:40 PM   #30
Fullboar

Over the years my father I have owned a truck load of different brand B/A rifles and I can tell you now NONE have been as consistently trouble free and accurate out of the box as the Sako 75, Tikka M595/M695 (old models) and Sako 85, Tikka T3 (new models).

I don't like owning to many of 1 thing but with Sako's and Tikka's I dont mind because I know IMHO for the money you wont get anything better. Do I sound like I Sako/Tikka fan? you bet I am!!! Here in Australia Sako and Tikka have been around forever and would outsell everything 2 to 1 (at least).
Old June 11, 2018, 08:28 PM   #31
wdallis

Ok guys, I am stoked!! I know it has been awhile since I responded, but since the post, I have added a tikka to the mix and recently purchased an f-class bipod which makes a world of difference. I shot my .270 yesterday with the bipod and the gun that was once an 1.5”-2” gun at 100 yards is now a 3/4” gun. Excluding the one flyer anyways. There are 8 shots in that group closest to the target. The other 2 shots that have a B on them was shot by my 7 year old daughter from my 6.5. ( well for some reason, it would not let me upload the photo due to some kind of token error, but anyways I had a .73” group at 100 yards. The 7 year olds group was a 2.16” group. Just 2 shots for her, but it’s a start. ( First time ever to shoot a gun )I will continue to try and upload the photo.

Last edited by wdallis; June 11, 2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old June 11, 2018, 08:49 PM   #32
sako2

Hope it don't take 6 1/2 yrs for the picture.lol
Old June 11, 2018, 09:49 PM   #33
wdallis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako2 View Post
Hope it don't take 6 1/2 yrs for the picture.lol
Yea me too, I’ve tried several different ways to upload it, but it keeps given me an error about a token. I’m not sure I’m going to get it uploaded. I wish there was another way, I have never had any issues prior to this.
Old June 12, 2018, 12:49 AM   #34
Road_Clam

"I want a tack driver". Any and every rifle is a tack driver. Any and every rifle is a piece of crap. What makes a CONSISTIANT tack driver is load development, preferably handloading, and practice. Any out of the box bargain rifle has the capability to shoot sub moa at 100 yds with factory match ammo. The question is will the rifle CONSISTIANTLY shoot sub moa every time in every varying condition. The answer is no. You pay the bigger money for high end rifles that can shoot a 10 shot string, sub moa at 600 yards. The Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM is proving to be about the best and most consistiant precision out of the box, no mods needed.
Old June 13, 2018, 09:22 PM   #35
Bamashooter

I handload for a T/C Venture 30-06 and it is capable of 1/2 moa accuracy on occasion but 3/4-1 moa generally depending on various things. I can load it for varmint shooting, deer hunting, or long range target shooting. I dont mind the recoil but it can be a lot for some.
I also have a .243 that is as capable with less recoil but not quite as accurate. If I were buying one today I would be looking hard at 6.5 Creedmore and .224 Valkyrie.
Old June 14, 2018, 08:03 PM   #36
Bottom Gun

I would buy a Sako in your favorite caliber. They all shoot well. If price is an issue, get a Tikka. They use the same barrels and are just as accurate. I have both. They are excellent rifles.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old June 15, 2018, 11:05 AM   #37
Picher

I've shot many Model 70s, but never owned one. I'm a trigger snob and don't care for most Mod. 70 triggers.

I'd recommend a Tikka .243 Win hands-down. If you can afford one, the Stainless Tikkas are really nice hunting rifles.
Old June 25, 2018, 05:52 PM   #38
Picher

I'm very impressed with the ability of the .243 Win, especially in the Tikka T3! Can't say enough about how much fun and capable the combination is. Put a Leupold 3-9X on it and don't look back! Mine shoots like a custom rifle without any tweaking. The new Winchester Deer Season ammo works fantastic in mine, but so do lots of handloads. Great rifle to carry all day or shoot at the range.
Old June 25, 2018, 06:06 PM   #39
PlatinumCore16

Out of the box tack driver would be a vote for Savage from me and for your ranges/requirements I would also vote for a .270. You can get light bullets for varmints and heavy bullets for deer.

Edit: I did not look at the OP date holy necro thread. Will remember to check that from now on before posting. But glad to hear you got a great rifle. I am thinking my next long arm will be a .270 after I build up my last AR upper that is...

Last edited by PlatinumCore16; June 28, 2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old June 28, 2018, 06:38 AM   #40
agtman

Quote:
A common out of the box tack driver.
I am maybe in the market for a new rifle to add to the collection. This gun will be used on varmints and maybe the occasional deer. The ranges I will be shooting will be 0 to 400 yards. I am wanting a tack driver at 100 yards. Which gun/caliber/brand would be best for the job? I reload my own shells.
.25-06.

Various platforms. Pick the one that suits you.
Old June 28, 2018, 09:50 AM   #41
J.G. Terry

Other Choices

It's always been a wonderment how suggestions go from entry level firearms to
seriously expensive custom rifles. T3 and the T/C Dimension have a one minute guarantee. Neither would run somebody into bankruptcy. Neither rifle would win a beauty contest. Pretty is as pretty does. The Dimension can grow on ya'.
Old June 28, 2018, 10:42 AM   #42
LineStretcher

Congratulations on your new Tikka. The Caliber you chose is my favorite. It is good for small to medium game out to 400 yards but when you get out beyond 250 yards, I recommend a soft point bullet since velocities will be down and a partition may not expand enough to properly take the animal. Go shoot and have fun.
Old June 30, 2018, 07:41 PM   #43
fourbore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdallis View Post
Ok guys, I am stoked!! I know it has been awhile since I responded, but since the post, I have added a tikka to the mix and recently purchased an f-class bipod which makes a world of difference. I shot my .270 yesterday with the bipod and the gun that was once an 1.5”-2” gun at 100 yards is now a 3/4” gun. Excluding the one flyer anyways. There are 8 shots in that group closest to the target. The other 2 shots that have a B on them was shot by my 7 year old daughter from my 6.5. ( well for some reason, it would not let me upload the photo due to some kind of token error, but anyways I had a .73” group at 100 yards. The 7 year olds group was a 2.16” group. Just 2 shots for her, but it’s a start. ( First time ever to shoot a gun )I will continue to try and upload the photo.
If you went from 2" to sub 1" with a bipod, then you has one heck of a piss poor rest. A "good" bench rest will out shoot any bipod. Now, you cannot take a bench out in the field and the bipod will go with you. So; that is a very good and useful result. Congrats.

Interesting that folks here knew about the TC venture and appreciated that in 2011. I miss that gun. Now all the buzz is for the cheeped out Compass. Once again, the American consumer has spoken.
Old July 1, 2018, 09:41 AM   #44
Don Fischer

Didn't the guy say varmint's and occasional deer? Where this bigger than 25 cal coming from? A 270 or 7mm mag for varmint's and occasional deer?
Old July 1, 2018, 12:56 PM   #45
603Country

What’s wrong with shooting varmints with a 270? Personally, I started on varmints with a 220 Swift and did just fine until hogs showed up at my place. I finally had to move up to more gun, and the next bigger caliber I had was a 260. Otherwise i’d have gone to my 270. That said, if the OP wants to shoot mass quantities of prairie dogs, the 270 isn’t ideal.

Many years ago, before I got the 220, I used all sorts of bullet weights in my 270 for varmints and deer. Finally I just standardized on the 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Super-accurate bullet, and very effective.
Old July 2, 2018, 06:05 AM   #46
Picher

WDALLIS: Your daughter did well, but it's usually better to start kids with pellet rifles or .22LRs, so they don't develop flinches that are hard to correct. They may not show it at first, but may develop serious flinches after getting a few bruises.