The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 10, 2018, 11:21 AM   #1
4570Marlin

Boot choices Alaska hunt

So, packing for Alaska hunting trips, obviously one can’t bring ‘everything ‘ they might think they will need, so there’s decisions to be made; trade-off, compromises,... I’m thinking footwear is very important to get right, not to shorten your hunting time due to physical discomfort.
I’ve watched examples of those who stay decked out in hip-waders with overboots since there’s marshes/streams and all sorts of watery slopes to deal with, but what about thorns/alders and tearing through expensive outfits? Doesn’t seem practical to carry multiple options with day-to-day given all the other necessary gear in a pack... what makes the most sense? Three different boot styles, with two “drying out” at camp any given time? And what if you don’t have the luxury of a base camp with good heat/drying options?
Another consideration is, a completely dry, tall muck boot good for wet areas is a dangerous thing to have on for steep grassy slopes or endless tundra, where light and tight would be better...I would love to hear practical answers from those who have encountered these issues in their hunts...
Old October 10, 2018, 12:56 PM   #2
RC20

I just hunted in my Goodyear Extra Toughs.

As noted, the variations you run into mean there is no great single option.

The ETs are a bit hot for walking, they have poor support but handle the rest well enough.

One think you don't want is hip waders or the chest waders crossing gnarly streams. One slip and you stay sunk.

Pair of rubber boots and a pair of good hiking shoes, type that go up over the ankle or a bit higher 8 inch.

Thats not only from hunting, its from surveying and fishing the wilds of AK as well.
Old October 10, 2018, 02:10 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Leather is best if there's not a continuous soaking. Even then leather can be waterproofed with relatively inexpensive goopy products. Have some stuff called Shoe Grease that went on my combat boots. Waded through all kinds of water with 100% dry feet.
Never had hip or chest waders that were comfortable to walk in.
In any case, any Alaskan trip will be limited by how you get there. Weight is an issue with aircraft.
Old October 10, 2018, 02:59 PM   #4
Dano4734

Just came back t oheir is absolutely right that’s what I have leather. Also all kinds of devil club and other stuff that makes good leather waterproof boots the best
Old October 10, 2018, 05:38 PM   #5
RETG

When I was younger and did a lot of tromping through the wilds of the USA when not working or the Jungles of Thailand, Lao and a few other places (not military that was another matter), I used the best hiking boots I could find and usually double socked. A synthetic inner thin sock and an outer wool sock.
Yes, wool is warm but hey it worked for me.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old October 10, 2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Dozermonkey

Google, Matterhorn Boots. Very pleased with the ones the Army gave me for that environment. Well worth it.
Old October 11, 2018, 02:34 PM   #7
4570Marlin

Good feedback so far,... thanks all....
@Dozermonkey; initially looking up those Matterhorn boots, looks like they all have either a synthetic or steel toe,...did yours have steel toe(?) and was it a problem with extended hiking...?

Tags
alaska gear , footwear , hunting boots , waterproof