The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 8, 2018, 05:52 PM   #26
Dufus

The last time at the range, both my son and I shot the Ruger pistol that I bought in 1975. I have others in one of the safes, but this is an old favorite.

I have a Mossberg 144 LS that I use strictly for squirrel hunting. When the pot gets low, I go down on the creek that is lined with pecan trees and get normally <10 to restock the pot.

I used to rabbit hunt as well, but haven't yet this year. Rabbits are good for the pot too.
Old October 9, 2018, 03:53 PM   #27
chrisintexas

Which Ruger 10/22 model out of the several Ruger has would you recommend and why.
Old October 9, 2018, 07:32 PM   #28
Spats McGee
Staff

It depends on what you are going to do with it. I like the basic carbine, but that’s the only one with which I have any experience. That said, I’ve had mine for ~35 years. It has eaten every kind of crappy ammo I have ever tried to feed it, with a minimum of fuss. It’s not a target rifle, but it has spelled death for many a soup can.
Old October 9, 2018, 09:53 PM   #29
Metal god

Yep , the basic model is what I’d recommend. It will work just fine and when you start buying aftermarket parts you won’t be taking away from the more expensive 10//22 that has those few extras . I have 3 of them , all configured completely different and love each of them for what they are respectfully.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 10, 2018, 03:49 AM   #30
chrisintexas

I have narrowed it down to takedown models and there are several of those too.
Old October 10, 2018, 05:37 AM   #31
Spats McGee
Staff

If you're set on a takedown model, I like this one and this one. And honestly, I like them in that order. I like that both have the modular stock system and threaded barrels. (I'm waiting on my first suppressor, so I apparently want everything to have a threaded barrel.) The first one, though, looks like it has a heavier barrel, which (as I understand things) should improve accuracy.
Old October 10, 2018, 05:43 AM   #32
unclejack37

I've never stopped shooting 22s. I slowed down a lot during the slim times but made up for it with 9mm reloads. Now I purchased a red dot for my Mark III and I'm going thru some 22s
Lots of fun.