The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 27, 2018, 08:17 PM   #1
jackstrawIII

"High End Modern" Bolt Guns

I'm in the hunt for a new bolt gun and am looking for something with:
- fiberglass/kevlar/cf stock (it has to be thin in the wrist and forend)
- stainless everything (cerakoted stainless is fine)
- around 6-6.5 pounds bare
- if I could get a DBM, that would be great (hinged floorplate is an ok compromise)

I've owned a Kimber Montana and couldn't get it to shoot. I still have a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather and it's a nice gun but the Bell and Carlson stock is just too thick through the wrist/grip area for me to be really happy.

So I've been looking at some other higher cost stuff and people seem to have so many gripes about all of them. Here's what I've read:

- Montana Rifle Company X3 - too heavy and gritty receiver
- Christensen Arms Mesa - too flimsy in the stock and poor bolt clearance when scoped
- Nosler 48 - too blocky around the wrist/grip
- Cooper 54 - they use Bell and Carlson stocks (too thick)
- Sako Finnlite - injection molded stock

And on, and on. I can't tell if these are legit concerns, or if people are just being extra picky because of the price tag on these guns? I'd have to imagine they're not all THAT bad...

What are all your experiences with these, or other similar brands of rifles? I'd like to spend less than $2000. Should I just throw a Winchester 70 into a McMillan Edge stock and call it a day? Or is there something else out there that would give me what I'm looking for?

Thanks.
Old September 27, 2018, 08:32 PM   #2
taylorce1

Do you still have that M70 EW? If so buy a stock from McMillan, Wildcat Composites, or ect..., and problem is solved. If it were me I'd look at the Barrett Fieldcraft, it's a blind magazine which doesn't bother me at all.
Old September 27, 2018, 08:43 PM   #3
jackstrawIII

Quote:
If it were me I'd look at the Barrett Fieldcraft, it's a blind magazine which doesn't bother me at all.
The Barrett looks amazing to me... except the blind mag. That's a deal killer for me and the kind of hunting I do.
Old September 27, 2018, 09:27 PM   #4
taylorce1

Well a M70 EW in a McMillan Edge fill stock isn't going to be super light. My .270 weighs just over 8.5 lbs scoped with a VX3 3.5-10x40, leather shooting sling, and five rounds in the belly.

A M70 FWT IN A McMillan Edge stock will be closer to what you want. My .30-06 is 7lbs 2 oz lbs scoped, but it's a blind mag. It'll probably be closer to 7.5 lbs with the factory bottom metal.

You can always look for a used Howa Alpine, they had the choice of DBM or factory floorplate on them. I'm sure someone will build bottom metal for the Fieldcraft before too long.
Old September 27, 2018, 10:12 PM   #5
CalmerThanYou

The Seekins havak gets super good reviews, and is just a touch over your price point.

Comes with a Timney 510, and weighs 7Lbs
Old September 27, 2018, 10:19 PM   #6
blackwidowp61

If you like the Winchester, maybe all you have to do is sand the grip down??? Looked it up online and it can be done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old September 28, 2018, 01:05 AM   #7
dakota.potts

I know a couple rifle builders who could give you exactly what you want, but you'd probably be spending $3,000-$4,000 instead of 2. Lightweight actions, carbon fiber barrels, and high-end stocks offer a lot of performance for the weight. 6 pounds on any system that accepts a DBM is going to be hard to do, especially if you don't like plastic.
Old September 28, 2018, 06:56 AM   #8
FoghornLeghorn

I cast my vote with keeping what you've got and replacing the stock. No brainer.
Old September 28, 2018, 10:33 AM   #9
Nathan

NULA
Old September 28, 2018, 10:45 AM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
NULA
Those run $3,00 to $5,000 so that's not in budget. However a Forbes Rifle or Colt Light rifle does, and Melvin Forbes will happily work on either for you.
Old September 28, 2018, 03:11 PM   #11
jmr40

My 308 Winchester EW with a McMillan Edge stock on it weighs 7.5 lbs including the Zeiss Conquest scope and Talley lightweight mounts. It is the most consistently accurate rifle I've ever owned. I won't say it is MOA all day long but is pretty close.

The scope is 15 oz add another 2-3oz for the mounts and figure the rifle alone at about 6.5 lbs or a little less. I liked the EW before the stock change. It is now my favorite rifle.

A standard weight McMillan or any other synthetic stock won't be any lighter than the B&C or any other wood stock. Get the Edge stock made with Kevlar if going McMillan.

Another option is the Tikka. Weight is about 6-6.5 lbs and they have DBM. Cost is about the same as a McMillan Edge stock. And the wait time on a McMillan is 3-4 months.

I'd bet money a $600 Tikka will outshoot most everything on your list.

Quote:

The Barrett looks amazing to me... except the blind mag. That's a deal killer for me and the kind of hunting I do.
I can't imagine any hunting situation where a blind mag would be the slightest handicap. It saves you 3-4 oz in weight, makes the stock stiffer, saves money, is one thing less to malfunction, and takes 2 seconds longer to unload at the end of the day.

Winston Churchill
Old September 28, 2018, 03:24 PM   #12
LineStretcher

Browning X Bolt you pick the one you like, they're all good.I should probably mention that I have the Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WSM but I also have an original pre Strategic Arms McMillan G30 Dynasty in 270 WSM that will go to the grave with me.
Old September 28, 2018, 04:58 PM   #13
JRR

You might take a look at the CZ557 with a Manners stock. Well within your budget and close to your ideal weight. 30-06, .270 and 6.5x55.
Old September 28, 2018, 09:01 PM   #14
jackstrawIII

Quote:
Browning X Bolt you pick the one you like, they're all good.
I've played with a few X Bolts and they've all felt great from a smoothness and balance standpoint... however, to my knowledge, all the new stainless X Bolts have the Dura-touch-whatever stock... which I do not like the feel of.
Old September 29, 2018, 08:10 AM   #15
jackstrawIII

A huge point in favor of the Montana X3 is that it’s avialble in 257 Roberts, which would be my caliber of choice. For those that have owned them, what’s your take on the X3? How does it compare to a Winchester 70 in terms of fit & finish?
Old September 29, 2018, 09:35 AM   #16
MarkCO

Weatherby Mark V Ultralight: http://www.weatherby.com/mark-vr-ultra-lightweight.html

Bergara Mountain: https://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_p...tain_rifle.php

Those are the two that check all of the boxes for me. They can be had for right around your max budget and are both phenomenal rifles. I have played with the Havak, the X3 and the Barrett, they are good, but the Weatherby and Bergara are better IMHO. I own one of the Weatherby's and have shot the Bergara's. Bergara Premiers are made in the US and are M700 footprint, so you get that benefit. Top quality and great customer service.
Old September 29, 2018, 09:48 AM   #17
taylorce1

I sent an inquiry to CDI precision about the Fieldcraft.

Quote:
Hi….I don’t make one for it, but it may be very close to something else I have, and we may be able to make up a special part for it pretty easy.. takes a few weeks longer than normal install for engineering and finishing.. We can likely do it..thanks

Jeff

Jeffrey Allen
CDiPrecision Gunworks
1852 University Parkway
Sarasota Florida 34243
www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com
www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com
941-961-3185

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2018 10:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: DBM for the Fieldcraft?

Do you have any plans to make your bottom metal for the Barrett Fieldcraft?
I had a Montana Rifle Company X2 rifle in .243 Win, and it was an extremely well put together rifle, but it was far to heavy. It came in a full pound over the projected weight after adding a fairly light scope and mounts. I never shot it and returned it for a refund, I would probably consider them again but just the barreled action or the action for a build.

I know they are an investment cast receiver so they're going to be heavier than a M70 action. I didn'texperience any grittyness in the action I had the bolt operated very smoothly. The other thing I like about them is the trigger and they fit the M70 footprint for stocks.
Old September 30, 2018, 08:18 AM   #18
std7mag

The Tikka is a good rifle, with excellent accuracy.
Ask Wendyj about them, as she has owned/does own several.

What about the Kimber Hunter in 257 Roberts?

Wish i had $2k to spend on a rifle!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old September 30, 2018, 09:06 AM   #19
jackstrawIII

Quote:
The Tikka is a good rifle, with excellent accuracy.
Ask Wendyj about them, as she has owned/does own several.

What about the Kimber Hunter in 257 Roberts?

Wish i had $2k to spend on a rifle!!
Yeah, I was very impressed by the Tikka I held the other day. The angular receiver is a bit weird, but I love the scope mount system.

Regarding the Kimber Hunter, it’s temptig, but I’ve had such hit/miss (more miss) experiences with the Kimber rifles.

And less than $2000 would be great haha.
Old September 30, 2018, 05:32 PM   #20
Saltydog235

My favorite rifle to carry without a wood stock is my Sako Finnlight in .300wm. Relatively lightweight, thinner foregrip and a palm-swell that fills out my grip. Shoots very well with the factory ammo I’ve been using, 180grn Sako Super Hammerheads, though the pigs don’t seem to like it much so far. It’s loaded down a bit though, working on a 165grn load for it now, just been too hot and the mosquitos have been too bad since Florence to do any Range work.
Old September 30, 2018, 08:54 PM   #21
FITASC

Quote:
"High End Modern" Bolt Guns
To ME, that would mean something out of your price range that looks like this:

https://www.sauer.de/en/products/bol.../features.html

with this takedown case (watch the video a little bit down the age on the case)

https://www.sauer.de/en/products/sau...pact-case.html
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 3, 2018, 09:48 AM   #22
jackstrawIII

Update

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's where I'm at. Four options in my mind at this point. All are under budget, and I'll show the projected bare rifle weights based on what I can find online.

1. Keep the Model 70 EW and put it in a McMillan Edge Stock: approx 6.25 lbs (cheapest option by far, but not in the caliber I prefer, 7mm08)

2. Rem Model 7 barreled action with McM Edge: approx 5.5 lbs

3. Tikka T3x barreled action with McM Edge: approx 6 lbs

4. Christiansen Arms Mesa, stock: 6.5 lbs

Which would you choose, and why?
Old October 4, 2018, 11:52 AM   #23
MrBorland

The only one I can comment on is the Tikka. Mine's a Tikka T3 CTR, chambered in .260 Remington. With a 10-round mag, I initially bought it for some mid-range tactical matches, but loved it so much, after swapping the scope for a 1-3x, it's become my almost-perfect go-to whitetail rifle. It would need a 3-position safety to be my perfect deer rifle. Regardless, it's bone stock, but still absolutely shoots lights-out. A T3x in a McM stock would be a nice shooting rifle, methinks.