The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 28, 2002, 12:54 AM   #1
dustindu4

Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 review (lotsa pictures)

Way back in March I was interested in finding the best and most concealable IWB holster that money could buy. After I looked around to see what was availiable and eliminated those I didn't like, it came down to the Sparks VM2 and Kramer IWB #3. Ultimately I chose the VM2 because of it's biggest feature of being completely tuckable, which I didn't totally understand but I figured what the hell. The gun the holster would be made for is my Beretta 92G Elite 2, my carry gun. I also liked it because it's IDPA approved, which I do compete in. There were a few different combinations of hides to choose from. Upon their suggestion I ordered an all black cow/horsehide combo. They said that horsehide is used on the inner side because it is less porous and repels moisture (sweat) better and that cowhide would be used on the outside because it forms the shape of the gun better. I placed the order on 3/11/02 and it was like 100 bucks. They told me that it would be an 8-14 week delivery time. I knew it was a long time to wait but if the holster was as good as I thought it would be, it would be worth the wait.

The holster arrived via UPS in 9 weeks and 6 days. Needless to say I was pleasantly suprised. The Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 was everything I thought it would be, and much much more! This is what the holster looks like.

The outer side

You can see how well the cow hide formed to the shape of the gun. The mouth of the opening has a STRONG metal or kydex insert, I'm not sure which, which allows easy gun insertion.

The inner side

This is the side that's made out of horse hide. It is stamped "92 BRIG" for the model of the gun. After looking at the front side you can see that the holster was modeled to a 92 Brigadier model with 4.9" barrel. The Elite 2 is basically a 92 Brig with a 4.7" barrel. I was kind of hoping it was going to be stamped "92 Elite" like how Todd's was stamped "92 Vertec". Not a big deal I guess.

The holster came with the belt loops installed. They recommend that you break the holster in before you try the holster with the clips. So I snapped the holster on and shoved the gun in. It was very comfortable. At first the gun was hard to insert, but once I wore it for a few days and did a few hundred presentations it was okay. Now I was ready to try the belt loops.

The holster was shipped with all the necessary parts and hardware.

Changing the loops to clips was quick and easy. You just unscrew the parts with the included allen wrench and slap the new ones on.

So this is what the holster looks like now with the clips on, and the gun inside it.

Then I figured out how the tuckable feature really works.

The clips are like S shaped. One part of the S clips onto the pants. The other part can bend out so you can tuck the shirt in your pants. It is very clever, the clips sorta bend out of the way so you can tuck your shirt in between the clips and the holster. They actually hold onto the pants really well.

Now I get to try it on! First I try it on without tucking the shirt in......

Then I tuck the shirt in...

See how the holster completely disappears? I haven't found any holster on the market that does this. This is exactly the feature that I was looking for. If you put a belt on it does a good job of covering up the clips. The only thing you notice is the print of the gun through the shirt.

To cover up the print of the gun through the shirt I just put a button down shirt over it and you don't see a damn thing!

Another feature that I like about this holster is that since the two loops are spread so far apart the gun is held securely in place. IWB holsters that have the loops together tend to move around a lot by wiggling from side to side. Not this holster. Another thing is that the holster is a lot like a pancake holster. On the inner side it is flat and has extra material on the sides of the gun which greatly increase comfort. This holster is by far the most comfortable IWB holster I have ever worn. Whoever invented the VM2 is a geneous.

Again I just wanted to say that I am so impressed with this holster I want to tell the world about it. Milt Sparks has not put me up to this. If you want more information on this holster check out www.miltsparks.com and see what they have. From what I am told they are working on a 13-14 week delivery time, but I'm telling you it is SO WORTH IT. Also the kydex clips aren't automatically included anymore, they are a separate accessory. From what they tell me most people don't use the clips so they lowered the price of the holster and made the clips separate.

If anybody has any questions feel free to post them here or email me.

-Dustin
Old May 28, 2002, 09:30 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

Good pics... as a fellow VM-2 user, you might also try wearing the gun outside the T-shirt but inside the button-down shirt. T-shirts being kind of clingly, they will print... but a nice cotton oxford or other button down shirt generally does a better job of not printing (although a Beretta isn't an easy gun to conceal). If you experiment a bit, you should have no problem finding a shirt that will work.

This gives you an extra layer of protection for the gun (t-shirt) and a little more comfort as well.
Old May 29, 2002, 04:06 PM   #3
Dave R

I would try it with the clips over the belt once, just to see if the added support of the belt would increase comfort.

Why clips and not belt loops? Convenience.

But if the clips are not flexible enough to fit over the belt, may not work.
Old May 29, 2002, 07:29 PM   #4
dustindu4

Quote:
I would try it with the clips over the belt once, just to see if the added support of the belt would increase comfort.
They specifically say in the instructions not to do that. they aren't designed for it.
Old May 29, 2002, 11:20 PM   #5
NeverAgain26

I'm getting mine tomorrow (after 9 weeks) for my Beretta 9000. Thanks for the pictures. Now I know what to expect.

NA26
Old May 30, 2002, 10:20 AM   #6
Frankly 45

Thankyou for the detailed photo's and description. I own one of the excellent Sparks SSII's for my full size 1911, but have been thinking about the VMII for my officer's model. While the photos on their site are attractive, they don't show
anywhere near the detail that yours do!
You leave me no choice but to order one now.
Old May 30, 2002, 11:30 AM   #7
buzz_knox

I've got one for my P7. It works great, but the clips pull off when I'm wearing jeans or shorts. Whether the clip works or not will depend on the type of pants as different brands have different levels of seams. This system would work better, I think with a spring steel clip which compresses against the pant and an edge to grab the belt from behind.
Old May 31, 2002, 10:23 PM   #8
dustindu4

Quote:
This system would work better, I think with a spring steel clip which compresses against the pant and an edge to grab the belt from behind.
dude I agree 100%. The pants clips work better on some than others. A metal clip on the same idea that grabbed the belt would be much better.
Old June 2, 2002, 12:12 PM   #9
KODB

Just an observation/evolution of habit:

I love the VM2 but have gone away from tucking in all but extreme conditions. I carry a fullsize BHP and find the clips less stable and comfortable. I also find that the piece still prints some so I still end up with a cover garment in most cases, so I see no advantage to the clips over the more stable and comfortable loops in most situations.

This in no way takes away from what is a truly excellent holster both in design and construction. I use it essentially exclusively with my BHP.

Regards,

Bob
Old June 6, 2002, 02:45 PM   #10
Futo Inu

Now THAT's how to review a product!

Thanks, Dustin. But guys,

Couldn't you simply put your belt through the "pants clip", and carry tucked with the clip securely around the belt?
Old June 11, 2002, 01:27 AM   #11
dustindu4

Quote:
couldn't you simply put your belt through the "pants clip", and carry tucked with the clip securely around the belt?
the manual specifically says no since they weren't designed for that. The clips will most likely break off.
Old June 23, 2002, 11:39 PM   #12
Michael64

That is a very nicely done review.

Don't have a VM2 but that certainly makes me want to consider getting one.