The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 19, 2007, 02:14 PM   #1
VUPDblue

Help finding a MAC

I have been looking into getting a MAC. This will be my first MG. I have been in the NFA market for a while, but this will be my first MG. I would ideally like to have one with a .22 conversion. I found a couple on Sturm. What do you guys think? Any suggestions otherwise? Thanks

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nf...cgi?read=94672

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nf...cgi?read=94632
Old September 19, 2007, 07:17 PM   #2
shaggy

I'm not crazy about the TX MACs; from what I understand, some were not properly welded at the rear of the receiver and may need rewelding later on. I think many of the TX MACs were later bought up by Wayne Daniels and properly welded though. The other issue with the TX MACs is parts availability - they're out there but not as available as parts for an M11.

A Powder Springs MAC-10 is a great gun and a true classic...at least a non-pimped one Its a good price too. Are you sure its a PS gun though? (I can only see RPB and Atlanta, GA on the receiver). That said, I think I'd rather get an SWD M11-9. Better parts availability and more aftermarket accessories for it than any other MAC type gun.
Old September 19, 2007, 09:18 PM   #3
VUPDblue

Thanks. I was hoping you would be along to straighten me out I thought the pimp gun was a pretty good price for a MAC, even though it is ugly... I am not set on getting one at this point, however. I would rather get a RDIAS or a RR M16, but I can't seem to find one in my price range. Ideally, my price range for such would be less than $10k. Maybe a pipe dream, but you never know. Anyway, I was thinking a MAC would be a fun toy for a while. The only ones I have ever had an opportunity to use were M11/9's. I have to admit I don't really know much about them. The more you can educate me, the better.
Old September 20, 2007, 01:24 AM   #4
MisterPX

You can find RR M16's for under $10K if you're not in a rush, most like Frankford Ars, or other "no name" brand receivers.
As far as the Mac, I've heard bad things about teh Texas M10's. ONly other 45 I can think of in that ballpark price range would be a Stemple.
Old September 20, 2007, 08:36 AM   #5
shaggy

Quote:
ONly other 45 I can think of in that ballpark price range would be a Stemple.
And maybe a Spitfire, but allow some money to work on it. I've got one I bought for a project - with some work (new barrel, modified trunion, better stocks, etc.) I think it could be a decent shooter.

In the MAC field, I'd definitely stick with an M11-9. As to the .22 upper conversions, I'm not too fond of them. I had an early Flemming .22 kit for my M11. You could get two mags out without much problem, but after than it became a jam-o-matic. Some of the new .22 conversions for the MACs may work better, but I'll stick with my ciener kit in the AR15/M16 for .22 now. Instead of a MAC (since I know you have a Spike's .22 upper and a 9mm upper), you might be better off just holding out and continuing to look for a good and reasonably priced RR M16.
Old September 20, 2007, 12:59 PM   #6
VUPDblue

Quote:
Instead of a MAC (since I know you have a Spike's .22 upper and a 9mm upper), you might be better off just holding out and continuing to look for a good and reasonably priced RR M16.
I think that's the plan for now. Let me know if you ever find something that might meet those requirements.
Old October 3, 2007, 07:32 PM   #7
Trapp

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nf...cgi?read=95351

Here is a lower priced colt.....

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nf...cgi?read=95209

And another one........
Old October 4, 2007, 01:11 AM   #8
David Hineline

MACs

The Powder Springs MACs and RPB overstamps are the best guns, the TX and NJ MAC were bad unless fixed.

The SWD M11-9mm is the most common and is the one everyone uses for the various accy. conversions out there, so if customization is your plan go with the SWD M11-9mm.

No 22lr kits made as of yet work or are worth having. A man named Lage is supposed to produce one that works but as of now it is still Vapor.
Old October 5, 2007, 01:05 PM   #9
LiquidTension7

Now that Richard Lage is shipping the Max 10/9 and Max10/45 uppers in addition to the Max 11, any of the MAC type guns will be fine. I like the looks and parts availability of the M11/9, especially with the Lage upper on it. If you're pretty sure you're going to buy one, go ahead and get on Richard's waiting list now, as it will take several months before he gets to your number. Mine was just over 4 months as I recall. The 750rpm bolt is the perfect speed. Singles, doubles and triples are all easy to pull off, and you can still dump a whole mag in about 3 seconds if you desire. All of Richard's products are absolutely top notch, he's a really nice guy, and he stands behind his products 100%.

He's still working on the .22 kits for the regular M11 and for the Max11. I'm on the waiting list for the Max-11/22. He won't release a product until it's perfect, so it takes time. As David said, none of the current .22 kits are worth bothering with. Some people have had luck getting the Fleming kits to run, but most haven't.

www.max-11.com