The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 5, 2006, 03:26 PM   #1
Shoebox

Lasermax or Crimson Trace?

Putting aside the argument of whether lasers on handguns are good or bad, what is the general opinion of the group here on these two brands/approaches to the same problem?

Anyone with real world experience with either of these? Anyone tried both?

As always, thanks,

Steve
Old May 5, 2006, 05:26 PM   #2
choochboost

Here's a recent thread on Calguns: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...light=lasermax

There's a ton more on TFL as well. Do a search and you won't even have to dig.

Last edited by choochboost; May 6, 2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old May 5, 2006, 07:12 PM   #3
Eghad

Crimson Trace

Pros: activate when you grip the pistol
Cons: they are on the outside of the gun so they may be more prone to getting broken.

LaserMax

Pros: inside the pistol so they may be less prone to breakage
Cons: Have to turn the switch on manually

I do not have either one. from the articles I have read these seem to be the major pros and cons.......

NRA Life Member
Old May 6, 2006, 01:48 AM   #4
GlocksRfun

I've got 2 lasermaxs.. I love em cause they are right underneath the barrel, pretty much couldn't be more alligned with the barrel unless it was in it, Very accurate out of the box, (unless it's a 1911, then has adgustment) don't know how to make it inaccurate. the switch is in a conveniant location. It's all internal, it'll take the abuse.. Great customer service. Cool and fun laser. these blink, better target accquisition they say. I think u can get them constant on somewhere.

Crimson.. don't have one, but the laser is kinda diagonal from the barrel. So that gives you 2 plains that it can be off. Gotta be sighted in, I think, maybe not. It doesn't protrude really, kinda does, but it's further back than I would want it. I hear good things about it. I'm pretty sure these are constanly on.

What kind of gun is it going on?

Those are the 2 best lasers out there.

My vote is for lasermax. When I was in the same boat as you, The internalness is what made me go lasermax. After having 1, I loved it so much I got another.

I like pics, so here's mine.

I just kinda read that link.. I saw a tv show do something on both of them a long time ago. They are the same brightness, but the lasermax blinks. the lasermax changes the guide spring, I think it's on the weak side, but it has handled +p rounds with no problems. It was designed to handle +P I've gott 2,000+ thruough the G21 and around 500 through the G17. Never had a malfuntion from the spring. My malfunctions happen from the crazy high cap mags I put on. It's flawless when I use stock mags. I just changed the spring after 2,000 ish rounds for $10. good as new. The accuracy claim on the lasermax is +- 2 inches at 60 feet I think, it's 20 meters or something.. It's up to you, u want internal or external? The lasermax is very accurate and will take the abuse. U can probably get Lasermax to give you free stuff, I've gotten free stuff on 2 occasions, woulda been 3 but I never mailed in the survey.
Old May 6, 2006, 05:16 AM   #5
3 gun

CT fan here to the tune of three in the family. I've had slide stops and guide rods break. Adding weight and electronics to these parts doesn't seem like the best idea to me. Even if the CT grips break it hasn't put the pistol out of action. I didn't like the pulsing dot or the added step to activate the laser with the LM. CT batteries are cheaper and easier to replace and have a longer service life. New cost is usually less for the CT. CT is USGI tested tough, don't know of LM being used by any service. The offset on with the CT unit is overstated given its main use. Yes POA and POI are only exactly matching at one distance but given the intended use, putting rounds on target in a low light gunfight, I've never heard of anyone missing because of the offset. Either will greatly improve the chances of good hits in a SD shooting. Both help improve your dry fire practice. They are the best of the lasers out at this time. IMHO
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.