The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: What would you carry for self defense?
Lethal Weapon (Gun, knife, etc ) 271 98.19%
Non Lethal Weapon (Pepper spray, taser, etc) 5 1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 28, 2010, 06:21 PM   #26
Jeremiah/Az

If I could only carry one thing, it would be my gun. I do carry pepper spray on the off side.

What would hitting someone with your gun do to the gun? Maybe render it inoperable? Bend or break something on the gun?
Old October 28, 2010, 07:40 PM   #27
Webleymkv

Quote:
What would hitting someone with your gun do to the gun? Maybe render it inoperable? Bend or break something on the gun?
Depends on the gun and what part you hit them with. The underlug on a revolver barrel makes a rather nasty impact weapon.
Old October 28, 2010, 08:18 PM   #28
10mmAuto

Depends, is a Glock 20 in 10mm with 125gr hollowpoints @1600FPS a lethal weapon?
Old October 28, 2010, 09:51 PM   #29
Big Tom

Depends...did you hit them in a vital area?
Old October 28, 2010, 10:09 PM   #30
10mmAuto

Pretty much anywhere is a vital area with enough gun.
Old October 29, 2010, 12:05 AM   #31
Big Tom

So if you shot me in the hand I am automatically dead? Or the leg? Or Arm? Or Shoulder? My dad's friend was shot point blank in the stomach twice by a .357. Missed his vitals and he is still walking around today. Though his stomach looks like a giant nasty raggedy back thing....once you see that damage of what a bullet does to a human body, you really want to make sure you pull out the thing ONLY WHEN REALLY NEEDED! Scaring someone like that for life is gonna bother you for the rest of yours if you know that you could of avoided the whole mess. Just say'n...

Stay Safe!
Old October 29, 2010, 12:32 AM   #32
10mmAuto

Quote:
So if you shot me in the hand I am automatically dead? Or the leg? Or Arm? Or Shoulder? My dad's friend was shot point blank in the stomach twice by a .357. Missed his vitals and he is still walking around today.
Notice the qualifier "pretty much" and "with enough gun". I suppose a gutshot with .50BMG would most likely just be a flesh wound? Also I didn't know to be considered lethal something had to strike you down on the spot as if it were lightning. I guess using this logic rattlesnake bites or the bow and arrow are not lethal either.
Old October 29, 2010, 01:27 AM   #33
Sevenfaces

Quote:
Notice the qualifier "pretty much" and "with enough gun". I suppose a gutshot with .50BMG would most likely just be a flesh wound? Also I didn't know to be considered lethal something had to strike you down on the spot as if it were lightning. I guess using this logic rattlesnake bites or the bow and arrow are not lethal either.
Rattler bites are rarely fatal.
Old October 29, 2010, 01:41 AM   #34
10mmAuto

Yes, because of anti venom. Missing the point entirely.
Old October 29, 2010, 01:43 AM   #35
MLeake

Playing percentages...

... with fatalities won't help with the legal issues.

Most rattler bites aren't fatal. However, throw a rattler at a person and see what the DA charges you with...

Or strike a person with any (serious) blunt object.

These days, a rubber pellet shot from a homemade slingshot got a middle schooler in Florida charged with "Assault with a Deadly Weapon" because the rubber pellet raised a welt on its "victim."

So I wouldn't recommend pistol-whipping as a suggested "non-lethal" approach.
Old October 29, 2010, 07:28 AM   #36
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
However, there are circumstances in which gunfire, while legally justifiable, is not a practical option.
Yes, I would agree with that general sentiment. I mistakenly thought you were talking about using a firearm in a situation where lethal force was not justifiable.
Old October 29, 2010, 08:13 AM   #37
Big Tom

10mmAuto I am getting at the fact that you said pretty much anywhere is a vital area. Not true, the vitals ARE the vital area. If the .50 shot me in the stomach are my chances of living slim? Yes, because a bullet like that CAN hit me in an area where my vitals are. If it hit me in the intestine and someone stopped the bleeding the bacteria from the intestine spewing into my bloodstream would kill me. If it missed that area, then I may live. Nothing is 100% certain, although for one thing I doubt anyone carries such a gun on their person everyday so is this very credible? Perhaps on a battlefield....in a pedestrian scenario? I'd say no! Not that its not possible, just VERY unlikely!
Old October 29, 2010, 11:57 AM   #38
booker_t

I'd like to echo Webleymkv's comment about non-lethal vs. less-lethal.

Blunt force weapons, especially those made for spot impact such as kubotans, knucks, stingers, saps, blackjacks, and the crenelated flashlight bezels, are all potentially lethal. And depending on your local/state laws, carrying one can be enough to show intent to use it, or premeditation, especially if you have indicated desire/intent to use them elsewhere (such as in email or on internet forums).

While it's important to protect yourself, it's also important to protect yourself.
Old October 30, 2010, 08:35 PM   #39
Couzin

Quote:
I am getting at the fact that you said pretty much anywhere is a vital area. Not true, the vitals ARE the vital area... If it missed that area, then I may live... Nothing is 100% certain, although for one thing I doubt anyone carries such a gun on their person everyday so is this very credible? Perhaps on a battlefield....in a pedestrian scenario? I'd say no! Not that its not possible, just VERY unlikely!
Big Tom -- You need to know the difference between 'shoot to stop (a threat)' and 'shoot to kill.' Hitting an area of the body to incapacitate immediately is the goal, and hitting vital areas is the quickest way to accomplish this - although, a round anywhere on the body may have the objective met - depending on the individual and how cranked up they are. 10mmAuto is saying any area is a vital area if the threat is stopped. A round to the hand (or even a missed shot), if it ends the threat, is enough. You don't get to go all bad az cowboy gangbanger and just finish killin someone cuz they needed killin'!!! And, "on a battlefield"?? -- seriously - warzones are not video games dude.

Last edited by Couzin; October 30, 2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old October 30, 2010, 08:52 PM   #40
Couzin

Remember:

Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” -- Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old October 31, 2010, 10:07 AM   #41
OlCrip

Self Defense

I carry a cane all the time and am quite proficient with it. When I was Shore Patrol I became an artist with a nightstick. I modified a few techniques and sought additional help from a professional. The cane is a constant companion. So are many of the knives I've built. Had just enough training with the knife to be dangerous. All are capable of being thrown accurately at "inside the house" distances. Only bad thing about throwing a knife though is that once it's thrown it's of no more use to you. Also carry a mini-sap. About 8 1/2" long. It'll break an arm or knee. So will my cane. I'm not licensed to carry a handgun, although they ARE in the house.

One bad guy became the laughing stock of the Police that showed up one night. When they arrested him he had a broken wrist, severly enlarged testicles and a knee that generally isn't supposed to point that way. I'm just an old man that refuses to be a victim. Cops got a big kick out of seeing this kid in all manner of disarray. Just before the officers arrived I told the kid (kid, he was 26) that he really sucked at this line of work and that he really needed to seek employment in another line of work. He did. He became a guest of the State of Michigan for 5-7. Makes really nice license plates.
Old November 2, 2010, 03:24 PM   #42
markj

Quote:
A good steel 1911 will just about kill a person if hit on the head with the right force.

In this day I would hesitate to hit anyone with anything other than a fist and only after he hit me with witness's watching. Most times you will find the event on youtube..... we live in a sue you society where no one is responsible for their actions except for me..... You hit someone, they call 911, you may go to jail. Be careful out there.
Old November 2, 2010, 03:43 PM   #43
Terry A

103-1 as of this post.

That may be some sort of record as far as percentage of members agreeing on a subject here at TFL!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old November 3, 2010, 12:33 AM   #44
sakeneko

You left out the third choice:

c) both of the above.

I carry both pepper spray and a handgun any time I leave the house except for those rare occasions when I'm going somewhere where one or both are prohibited. Gives me more options. I *like* having choices.
Old November 3, 2010, 02:26 AM   #45
micksis86

I've been sprayed with OC spray on a training course whilst in the service and trust me it hurts like a bitch!
Old November 3, 2010, 04:07 AM   #46
MLeake

Pepper spray...

... for me, it wasn't so much the pain, as the seemingly unending flow of mucus from my nose and tears from my eyes.

The stuff is not fun.

But I'm not so sure it would have been instantly debilitating. Partially disabling, yes; debilitating, no - at least not in the training exposure level I was subjected to.
Old November 3, 2010, 09:32 AM   #47
pax

If you need pepper spray or another less-lethal force tool and don't have it or use it, you'll get beat up or bitten or somesuch.

If you need a gun or another lethal force tool and don't have it, you'll probably never need anything ever again.

That's why if you could really only carry one of the two (a nonsensical premise), the gun makes more sense. Less-lethal options are useful in a wider variety of situations, but the reason we carry deadly force isn't because we think we'll need it (statistically quite unlikely) but because the consequences would be fatal if we needed it & didn't have it.

Although humans are tool users and it's usually better to have proper tools than to not have them, a few basic physical skills can usually provide adequate coverage through non-lethal force levels. This is especially true if you know how to use the environment around you to good advantage. If you need a non-lethal force multiplier, look around. There's almost certainly a non-lethal but decently effective weapon near you right now if you know what to look for.

Legally speaking, firearms are always lethal force, whether you aim at the guy's center mass or his left big toe. Physically he might survive the big-toe shot (though nothing's certain), but legally it's the same thing. Improvised instruments such as canes and frying pans can certainly be considered lethal force if you use them that way, but the courts are just as likely to see them as a non-lethal force level if you use them as such and your lawyer articulates your actions properly.

Best bet: Make sure the situation warrants the level of force you plan to use, then use that level as fast and as efficiently and as hard as you can. Don't dither.

pax
Old November 3, 2010, 10:04 AM   #48
isanchez2008

Quote:
Best bet: Make sure the situation warrants the level of force you plan to use, then use that level as fast and as efficiently and as hard as you can. Don't dither.

pax
+1
Old November 3, 2010, 08:11 PM   #49
bmxslyguy187

According to my roommate the lawyer, lethal force should only be used if similar or greater than lethal force is presented. And in this case, it should be succinctly used, to lessen family lawsuits after lethal force was used.

Therefore, I do only carry lethal force. If a need arises where I don't need to use lethal force then I will talk/walk/move my way out of the situation.
Old November 3, 2010, 08:53 PM   #50
ncpatriot

I have pepper spray but it's no good against the wind and wouldn't be much good to have to get so close to use it. I carry both in my vehicle but usually just my gun when walking around. I try to watch where I go and avoid potential situations. I something does start up, merely showing the pistol will deter a lot of people. I doubt showing the spray would stop anyone in his tracks.