The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Closed Thread

Old November 15, 2013, 03:54 PM   #26
greyeyezz

Quote:
Constantine what are you doing to your gun? Looks like something fished out a swamp. All that grease also traps carbon and dirt. A jam waiting to happen.
This. Thats way too much grease for a Glock.
Old November 15, 2013, 05:50 PM   #27
Dragline45

I use Brownells Action Lube Plus and have had great results. It is a synthetic moly grease, and if you don't mind the black color it's great stuff.
Old November 15, 2013, 06:11 PM   #28
CajunBass

A gun is just a hunk of metal and or plastic. Nothing special about them.

I just use some stuff I buy at Wal-Mart called "gun oil" on mine. It works just fine.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 15, 2013, 06:40 PM   #29
DaleA

Quote:
Ouch. It's toxic? So that won't be good on my Glock in the long run.
Yeah, but it's a GLOCK so...no worries.

(Now if it were a 1911 I'd be worried.)
Old November 15, 2013, 06:50 PM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease...on guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
Yeah, but it's a GLOCK so...no worries.

(Now if it were a 1911 I'd be worried.)
I feel the opposite. lol.
Old November 15, 2013, 11:43 PM   #31
oldgunsmith

There's no magic that makes automotive lubricants only work on automobiles and gun lubes only work on guns. Doing it right is more important than what you do it with. You don't pack feed rails like you would wheel bearings.
Old November 16, 2013, 12:48 AM   #32
Kevin_d77

Constantine, how do you like your Jericho?
Old November 16, 2013, 12:49 AM   #33
JohnKSa
Staff

No matter what kind of grease one chooses to use, the amount of grease in the picture from post 17 is excessive, and not just a little bit excessive.

Grant Cunningham mentions food-grade Lubriplate grease (NLGI, 0 grade) in a couple of his writings. I have a couple of syringes of the Lubriplate SFL-0. It's non-toxic, white (a thin coat is virtually colorless), nearly odorless, thin enough to be functional in cold temperatures, thick enough to stay in place and with a good corrosion resistance package.
Quote:
There's no magic that makes automotive lubricants only work on automobiles and gun lubes only work on guns.
There are a couple of considerations that do apply to one but not the other.

1. Automobile engines are not carried next to the driver's skin nor do they often have a chance to come in direct contact with the driver's clothes. Therefore it doesn't really matter if the automotive lubricants are toxic, have a strong smell or cause stains.

2. Internal engine parts do not often come in direct contact with salts or other environmental contaminants. That means that motor oils or other products intended for internal automotive parts may not have the same corrosion preventive additives that are standard in premium gun oils.

That's not to say that only a gun oil is suitable for a gun--just that it's worth considering the application carefully when choosing a lubricant instead of thinking that all lubricants are alike or that any lubrication requirement is equally well served by any type of lubricant.
Old November 16, 2013, 01:04 AM   #34
oldcabin

I haven't seen anyone mention marine grades of oils. I have some Amsoil synthetic 5-40 marine and thought it may be even better than the regular mobil 1. From what I understand the marine versions have additional rust and corrosion inhibitors.
Old November 16, 2013, 02:23 AM   #35
RX-79G

You could use Pam and the gun would run fine.

If we're talking about a carry gun, dry film lubes seem like the smart choice.

I don't know anyone who is likely to fire a carry gun enough while carrying to make any lube necessary. Oil it up for the range, carry it as dry as possible.
Old November 16, 2013, 07:52 AM   #36
Crazy88Fingers

Quote:
I don't know anyone who is likely to fire a carry gun enough while carrying to make any lube necessary. Oil it up for the range, carry it as dry as possible.
Well you haven't seen the mag Constantine sticks in that thing when he goes to bed.
Old November 16, 2013, 09:17 AM   #37
Tactical Jackalope

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease...on guns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy88Fingers View Post
Well you haven't seen the mag Constantine sticks in that thing when he goes to bed.
LOL he makes a point. And I shoot this thing any chance I get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_d77 View Post
Constantine, how do you like your Jericho?
I like it a lot Kevin, I just wish I had a box of spare parts just in case.

I'm actually at work now and I'm going to do some work/tests with it. It's right next to me!

And thank you for everyone's concern! Lol this isn't my first rodeo with firearms and far from my last. I squirted that Mobil 1 grease in the rails as always but when I racked the slide and loaded it up, didn't realize how thick and gummy it was till I took the slide off once in front of crazy88fingers and wiped off any excess. Then again for that pic, and it looked the same! Shocked me to be honest. Almost did a smore like effect. Usually with other grease I apply it stays within the rails like I want it to. For some reason this one really oozed out.

It's back to normal now.
Old November 16, 2013, 11:36 AM   #38
Kevin_d77

I love mine. So far, it's my fave to shoot by far (although the 228 is still on a waiting pattern!). You can Mec Gar mags cheap and I have found disassembly documents and parts sources. If you need anything re the Jericho, PM me buddy!
Old November 16, 2013, 12:58 PM   #39
RC20

I like synthetics because they work in cold temps (Alaska certainly qualifies there though a lot of Northern States exceed my area).

My Sig SP2022 came with TWB25 and I have a bottle of that as well as synthetic oil that came in a package with it I got latter.

I use the synthetic oil in the hard to reach places.

AR gets Mobil 1 as it has characteristics that seem to work and alleviate any of the function issues of crud build up if that should occur.

In most cases plain oil does fine. If you are happy with it thats fine.

The comment about toxicity was interesting. I have been up to my wrists in various oils, solvents and other chemical goops since I was a kit.

I do take precaution now, how many people cleaned with Hoppes 9 with no protection?

Do your best, there is a whole lot of stuff out there that people don't think about thats bad for you. MTB was one and fortunately that toxic ugly chemical is replaced by Ethanol. Alaska was the first state to ban it. Others were slow and got it into the water table. Ugh.
Old November 16, 2013, 08:46 PM   #40
Sgt127

I've pretty much decided on Ballistol for day to day wipe downs, cleaning and lubing. It's about as safe as can be.

Occasionally I'll use CorrosionX as a protectant or inside the lock work of a revolver.

Super Lube is another good food grade grease.

The only time I use grease anymore is for a range trip, on the rails. I have seen autos slow down with heavy grease on a cold day. Not really optimal on a carry gun.
Old November 17, 2013, 02:34 PM   #41
Crazy88Fingers

Quote:
The only time I use grease anymore is for a range trip, on the rails. I have seen autos slow down with heavy grease on a cold day. Not really optimal on a carry gun.
Luckily we live in south Florida, so we only get about two or three of these "cold days" a year. Last time it went down into the 50s.

So I don't think the cold weather is going to affect his grease/gun much.
Old November 18, 2013, 04:44 PM   #42
745SW

I have Mobil 1 grease on hand anyway so that is one of the reasons why I use on firearms. Mobil 1 I find to be exceptionally stable for a period of years if not well over a decade for door mechanisms, hinges, ball bearing drawer slides and in some manual and power tools. In situations were this grease can not be used such as lock mechanisms, small computer fans and the like because of access restrictions or delicacy of the mechanism an oil is used. Comparatively the oil needs to be renewed by flushing/cleaning the thing with something like WD40 prior to re-oiling periodically.

IMO grease is the way to go when it can be used.
Old June 4, 2015, 01:20 PM   #43
iviax

I use mobile 1 oil as well. I found grease is very hard to clean. I stop buying gun oils and lubes after I tried left over mobile 1 syn oil from oil change.
Old June 4, 2015, 05:43 PM   #44
Ultrastick

Synthetic Grease

I've used Superlube for years with no problem. I just looked up Superlube and Mobile 1 grease and read their properties. Mobile 1 lists their grease as stable from -40 F to +302 F. I expect Superlube would be in the same range. I was unable to find their specs for this.

They both list excellent rust and corrosion protection. We have to remember, of course, that they are advertising their product so take it FWIW.

I apply a thin film of Superlube to my gun rails with a Qtip. Breakfree CLP everywhere else. Mobile 1 BTW says that their lube is thixotropic, which means it thins in high speed applications and returns to its basic viscosity for slow speed operations. Superlube says they have micron sized PTFE (teflon) in their lubricant which fills in any voids in the metal.

I like the temperature stability of synthetics. I won't be shooting or fishing in anywhere near -40 F, and the lube will stay in place locked in a hot car trunk or in summer sun.

I recently read an experiment a gentleman did on the properties of various gun lubricants. One of his tests was a lubricity test. He confirmed that indeed a thin film of lubricant was better than a thick layer. You should be able to find his tests of gun lubes with a little searching. He used small metal plates to test rust protection. It was quite an extensive series of tests.
Old June 5, 2015, 02:08 AM   #45
2afreedom

I have used a THIN coat of whatever non-synthetic, general purpose auto grease I have on hand to lube slides, etc. on my guns for years now. It goes on with a Q-Tip, keeps everything running smooth, and stays right where I put it. I am yet to have the first lubrication related failure.

I would caution against using large amounts of any lubricant-too much can gum up the works and do more harm than good. Also, firearms with very tight tolerances seem to do better with gun oil than grease (thinking AR here) but for most weapons, any ol grease will do just fine. We tend to over think some of these things.
Old June 5, 2015, 04:51 AM   #46
Mike Irwin
Staff

This thread petered out almost two years ago.

There is no logical reason at all to resurrect a years-old thread to post a reply as if the thread kicked off yesterday.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread