The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 12, 2010, 05:45 PM   #1
northsman

Remington 700 sand blaster

i bought a used remington 700 muzzle loader and took it out yhe other day and it seems to be blowing back past the bolt. i feel like someone is throwing hot sand in my face when shooting this rifle. anybody else out there know about this problem and maybe some solutions.
Old October 12, 2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Model-P

Try breech loading with some of those newfangled metallic cartridges
Old October 13, 2010, 03:48 AM   #3
arcticap

Someone on the huntingnet.com BP forum named sabotloader is a serious Remington 700ML afficionado. He made it his mission in life to improve the blowback problems with that model.
If you read all of the following threads you can begin to understand the progression of improvements that he made that eventually solved the problems entirely.
He made different shields, recommended using a different Canadian aftermarket 209 conversion plug, and then went on to do some modifications to the bolt face which not only totally solved the problems, but also illustrated his dedication to improving the function of the model.

Below are the relevant threads that he wrote about it in chronological order over the course of about 1 year. If it were me, I would have probably simply used the #11 percussion caps that the rifle was originally designed to be used with.

1. Another 700 ml

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...er-700-ml.html

2. At the farm with a new Remington Bolt Conversion

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...onversion.html

3. Chapter 2 - Rem 700ml Bolt Converson

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...converson.html

4. Chapter 3 Rem 700 @ the Farm

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...-700-farm.html

5. Rem 700ml @ the farm...

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...00ml-farm.html

6. Modified Remington 700ml @ the Farm

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...00ml-farm.html

Last edited by arcticap; October 13, 2010 at 03:56 AM.
Old October 13, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Model-P

A muzzle loading Remington Model 700 with a bolt?
And here I thought he was pulling our legs!
Old October 13, 2010, 01:58 PM   #5
shortwave

Quote:
And here I thought he was pulling our legs!
Actually the 700 b/p ml is real. Believe it or not is one of my most accurate ml's to an extent. It shoots projectiles such as the easy loading Powerbelts quite well out to about 120yds with 90 grns. powder. My T/C Encore and Omega however, shoots Hornady XTP's a bit more accurately at a further distance, won't shoot Powerbelts well at all.
I've never had any ignition problems but have switched to the 209 ign. system.
The down-side to some is the 'pain in the butt' diss-assembly of the bolt ass'y. Again, to some, other ml's just simply clean easier than the Rem.700 ml. To me they just clean differently.

Glad I feel like I do about the Rem. as its enabled me to get some veeery good deals on them

northsman,

What load are you shooting? Especially what powder and how many grns?

Last edited by shortwave; October 13, 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old October 16, 2010, 06:02 PM   #6
northsman

i was shooting 100 gr. of Jim Shockey powder with 160 gr. powerbelts. seemed to shoot preety good. just not liking the blow back, but thoese links will help. thanks.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:41 AM   #7
shortwave

Ya know, maybe the reason I'm not feeling so much blow-back is the fact I've got a scope on mine.
Duh!
I'm right handed so my head is mostly off to left with scope deflecting most of blowback.

At any rate, I've never shot the 160gr. Powerbelts but have shot them in gr. weights from 395 down to 195. Found that powder charges in the 110-120grn ranges seem to deform the cup on the P'belt(costing to many fliers, esp. at 100yds.)) so I tried to decrease the grns. of powder to the least amt I could get by with and still have a good deer hunting load.
Current load my gun likes is 195gr aerotip Powerbelt, 90grns American Pioneer powder and Rem Cleanbore Shotgun primers. This load is very accurate(speaking deer hunting accuracy) out to 120yds.

I'm thinking of switching back to musket nipple just because they're easier to remove from nipple. Don't have to use little de-priming tool you have to use on the Rem 209 set-up.

You didn't say what ign. sys. you had but you may want to try some different primers.
Old March 24, 2012, 04:11 PM   #8
bdhuntr

I know this an old post, and it seems as if old posts that are brought up are slightly frowned upon here, but I'm new, so forgive me.

I purchased what I feel is the best 209 primer conversion for the Remington Model 700 MLS ever designed. It completely does away with a nipple on the breech plug. Instead, a machined nose slip-fits on the face of the bolt where the weather shield would be installed, and it has a groove machined into it where you install a primer. That's right- the primer is installed on the front of the bolt, like a cartridge in a controlled-feed action. The new breechplug is made for the primer to fit in with minimal space to prevent blowback, and when cammed into battery, the face of the bolt seals against the breechplug. It also has a new firing pin, which is a true firing pin, and not the junk Remington sold in their 209 conversion.

Ignition of any blackpowder or substitute (including BH209) is instantaneous. It is simple to install and remove primers without a tool, and if you want to make the rifle safe, just open the bolt. The primer will remain in the boltface but the rifle cannot fire.

I personally feel that had Remington designed the 700 ML and MLS with this configuration, they would still be selling these rifles (with a better stock, though). They are about as accurate of a muzzleloading rifle as you can buy; they are just a PITA to clean due to the blowback. The locktime on them is second to none.

Here is the boltface:

The bolt and breechplug (how it fits when closed):

The breechplug with ventliner (with primer installed):

A three-shot group with 300 grain T/C Bonded Shockwaves (90 grains BH209):

My Remington Model 700 MLS (restocked in laminate):

If you want to know where I purchased it, shoot me a PM.
Old March 24, 2012, 06:46 PM   #9
arcticap

That Remington conversion reminds me of the set up used for the original Savage ML10 smokeless rifle before it was redesigned.
There some photos of it in posts #1 & #2 in the following thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ghlight=savage