The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2007, 10:52 AM   #1
steelrat

A few begining questions

First I'd like to say thanks for all the info I've already taken from this site. I'm just getting started and at first will be loading 357mag, 38spl, and 9mm, eventually moving into rile rounds. I've gathered a ton of info, talked to a bunch of people, read a bunch on this site and have bought a few manuals, now I'm ready to start. I've started to buy the equipment and now have a few questions.
1. Dies - What's the big difference with them, what are people using and prefer?
2. What is a cartridge gauge and where do I find one?
3. How do I choose what components to use? For now I will just be loading to shoot targets...
Old February 8, 2007, 11:47 AM   #2
jdmick

I like the Lee carbide dies for pistol. For your .357 and .38 loads I'd suggest a deluxe four die set with the factory crimp die. Make sure you get the die set for .38 Special and not .357 Magnum as you can use the .38 dies to also load .357 but not the other way around. Just found that out yesterday from Lee BTW.
Get a cheap digital caliper set from Harbor Freight for all your cartridge measuring needs.
I'd suggest starting with a bulkier all purpose powder like Unique for starting out. I'd also suggest getting some Rainier or Berry's plated bullets. They're cost effective and will work fine for all but the strongest .357 loads.
Old February 8, 2007, 01:19 PM   #3
cheygriz

All dies will work. I've used them all, and now I buy only Redding. I never had any trouble with any dies except Lee. Three sets bought, three sets sent back to the factory for fixing. Some pholks swear by 'em. I swear AT 'em!

A cartridge guage is like a gun chamber. You drop the cartridge into it, and it tells you if the cartridge is within spec. (except for overall length) Midway has them.

Before you buy tools or components, buy a good reloading manual like the Lyman and read it. All of the manuals are good, but in my experience, the Lyman is the best for the beginner.
Old February 8, 2007, 05:29 PM   #4
RevoRick

I like RCBS cause its green. Just kidding. I started buying components here and there on forums and ebay. Just happened to be RCBS because their reputation and custumer service seemed to be very good. It all works fine. For every set of RCBS dies(pistol) I have purchased a lee factory crimp die which has cleaned up all problems I had with my match barrels. They are the greatest. Enjoy your new found addiction.
DW 10mm CBOB, 10mm Experimental, .45 Pointman GD, .45 Patriot CCO. DW 744 VH .44 6", 715 VH .357 4". Fusion 10mm Longslide XM-10 Tactical Hunter. Glock 19c, Browning Buckmark, S&W 686 .357 4", 629 .44mag 8 3/8". Uberti Cattleman .45LC.
http://www.1911auto.org/forum/index.php?referrerid=24
Old February 8, 2007, 06:56 PM   #5
CrustyFN

I agree you want to buy a caliper. It doesn't have to be a digital. I bought a digital from Harbor Freight and they only go two decimal places. I bought a dial caliper later on and like the dial caliper better. I have Lee four die sets and like them but haven't used anything else to compare them to. I'll second the Berry's and Ranier plated bullets. They are all that I use and have had very good accuracy with them. Let us know what type of equipment you bought and it will help us to give advice. Congratulations and welcome.
Rusty
Old February 9, 2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Dogjaw

Quote:
Before you buy tools or components, buy a good reloading manual like the Lyman and read it. All of the manuals are good, but in my experience, the Lyman is the best for the beginner.
Spot on in my opinion. Buy a manual, then buy the components in the manual. You can also to to the powder websites and get loading data from them. I like to do this for some comparisons. You can work up your own loads without the exact info also. I've taken powder manuals and started at the low end with a different mfg bullet many a time, but for now, since your new to it, don't make your life complicated. I'd pick up the new Hornady or Speer manual to go with that Lyman.
For jacketed bullets in .357, I like Hornady XTPs. They've an excellent reputation, and a tough bullet for hunting. I've used them, have good luck with them, stuck with them. For .38 / .357 lead, I don't pay much attention to the brand. I've swapped 158 SWC bullets with the same load with no difference.
I use a Dillon press, so I use powders that flow well and are consistant in a powder measure. I've settled on 3 Winchester powders, 231 (for .38 / .357 lead target loads), 296 (for .357 magnum JHP loads), and WSF (for all my 9mm needs).
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old February 9, 2007, 03:55 PM   #7
steelrat

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm going to assemble my first rounds this weekend. I checked and the book I got was the Lyman. I will look into another this afternoon. Still trying to decide which brand of dies to go with.
Old February 9, 2007, 04:28 PM   #8
steelrat

Also, are those loadbooks manuals that cover a particular caliber any good? Thanks again.
Old February 9, 2007, 05:11 PM   #9
rwilson452

loadbooks

The ones I have seen just take the data from many sources and compile it into one place. I have a Midway LoadMap book I bought some years ago that they did their own workups. Sadly they discontinued them.
I would say no better or worse data wise just in a better format perhaps.
Old February 9, 2007, 08:01 PM   #10
XD-Guy

Go with the Lee dies
Old February 10, 2007, 02:50 AM   #11
DWARREN123

Begin using Lee carbide dies for pistol also and like them. Federal primers and Hogdon powders. Basic setup for 357 mag and 32 H&R mag. I do not like Rem brass as it seems out of spec, may be just me.

Last edited by DWARREN123; February 10, 2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old February 10, 2007, 09:18 PM   #12
BigJakeJ1s

There's not much difference in sizing dies for handguns, so long as you get carbide or TiN (titanium nitride) coated ones to avoid having to lube the cases prior to sizing. Dillon sizer dies do not size down as far on the base as most others, since the bottom is flared out more for easier use with their progressive press.

A lot of folks prefer Lyman M-die expanders, myself included, unless you are on a progressive that expands while metering powder, then you need the expander/die for your press/powder measure. Most die sets that have the expander have a decent one, so it is not generally an issue if choosing one die set over another.

Seating dies seem to have the most differentiation in design and performance. I like the ones with sliding alignment sleeves that align the bullet with the case mouth better. Hornady and Forester make all their seating dies that way, but Forster does not make handgun dies. Redding Competition series seaters also have this feature. If I wanted to buy single manufacturer's die set, I'd buy it based on the seating die. I like Hornady because they are very good, and much cheaper than Redding Competition dies, and they can crimp too. They also disassemble for cleaning (important if you seat a lot of non-jacketed bullets) without affecting the settings. They also offer an optional micrometer adjusting screw for them. You can get an entire Hornady die set plus the micrometer adjuster for less than the price of a Redding Competition seating die alone.

Separate crimp dies are sometimes useful, especially if you have a progressive, where the extra reloading step comes for free. I have tried the Lee Carbide Factory crimp die for 45 colt, but I prefer the roll crimp my Hornady seater die applies much better, and it saves a step on my single stage press. The Lee Factory Crimp dies for rifle and bottleneck pistols have a collet crimper, and do an excellent job.

Andy
Old February 11, 2007, 11:58 AM   #13
HiltonFarmer

Quote:
1. Dies - What's the big difference with them, what are people using and prefer?
I use the Lee pistol dies. I've had very good results as a beginner with the Lee Turret press. I roll my own 9mm and .40 and have had no troubles (crossed fingers). I will be buying either an RCBS or Dillon progressive press pretty soon and can see me buying whichever brand of dies that fit either of the machines but I will never let go of my Lee

Quote:
I bought a dial caliper later on and like the dial caliper better.
Me 2. That would be my recommendation unless you have lots of money and you can get a digital that reads to the thousandth.

Quote:
For jacketed bullets in .357, I like Hornady XTPs
I use Hornady XTPs as well for my 9mm at the moment and have begun casting my 9s. Not sure if I like the casting idea just yet but it's early on in the process so can't really offer an opinion just yet.

I started rolling my own a month and a half ago and it took me three months just to read (I have 5 relaoding manuals and 3 other texts on reloading - ABC's of Reloading is excellent for the newbie) and get familiar before that. Find a friend who reloads as well so you can get some other questions answered where only seeing it will you understand.

Enjoy the hobby - my wife and I never see each other now. We have hallway sex to boot! j/k

HiltonFarmer
Old February 11, 2007, 10:28 PM   #14
cheygriz

Hornady XTPs and Speer and Siera bullets are excellent. But for practice ammo, it's hard to beat the plated Rainier bullets. I don't waste XTPs on a backstop, when I can shoot home cast or Rainier plated for much less money.
Old February 12, 2007, 06:22 AM   #15
Dogjaw

Quote:
Quote:
I bought a dial caliper later on and like the dial caliper better.

Me 2. That would be my recommendation unless you have lots of money and you can get a digital that reads to the thousandth.
Unless your trying to buy a cheap wannabe, all dial caliper dials measure in thousandths, and as with dial indicators, can be read in half thousandths.

I have dies by Dillon, Lee, Lyman, RCBS. They all work. Get a set that has switchable bullet seating rams, so you can change to the shape of bullet your using. 9mm is going to basically use one round nose bullet shape only, in order to feed properly, but you'll probably be using wad cutter, semi-wadcutter, and hollowpoint bullets in 38/357. Sets like Dillon allow you to change the bullet seating ram to the shape bullet your using to keep from deforming the nose of the bullet.
A simple trick to setting bullet depth is to put a loaded factory round in and screw the seating die down until it touches.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old February 12, 2007, 12:09 PM   #16
steelrat

Hey thanks again for all the info. I put my first rounds together last weekend. It took a while to get everything set up and figure out how everything worked. I loaded 50 .357 and 50 38 special rounds. Now I need to go shoot them. One thing I learned is how addicting reloading can be. I ended up getting RCBS dies because no one localy had Lee's in stock, even Cabela's had them back ordered. I ended up going with Hornady XTP, Hodgden TiteGroup and Winchester primers.