The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 16, 2019, 11:48 AM   #1
Catsratz

Bore Snake Pulled Through With Pliers

I've seen posts here about bore snakes getting stuck and not pulling through. This is actually the main reason I joined - so I could post this:

I began to clean my .38 revolver today (first time ever) and the snake got stuck at the part where the bristles first entered the barrel. And stuck. I took a pair of pliers and tugged at the front end and pulled it through fairly easily with a small pair of pliers.

Hey, if it can work for a 70-year-old female with not much strength, it will probably work for you
Old July 16, 2019, 12:36 PM   #2
wild willy

You do realize that some of the ones that got really tight the pull rope broke?
Old July 16, 2019, 02:57 PM   #3
jmr40

I will use a bore snake on the rare occasion. But it is just a matter of when, not if, the string breaks and one is stuck bad. There are better ways to clean a gun.

Winston Churchill
Old July 16, 2019, 06:48 PM   #4
pwc

I've used the snakes, but only on shotguns
Old July 16, 2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Doyle

Do yourself a favor and throw the snake away. There are far more efficient ways to clean a barrel (cheaper too in the long run considering how quickly a snake becomes clogged up with crud).
Old July 19, 2019, 12:13 PM   #6
berettaprofessor

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and throw the snake away. There are far more efficient ways to clean a barrel (cheaper too in the long run considering how quickly a snake becomes clogged up with crud).
No doubt I can get a barrel cleaner with rods and patches, but bore snakes have their place and I wouldn't do without it. In fact, my routine cleanings are bore snakes and the patches are relegated to more dedicated periodic OCD periods.

Bore snakes can be easily cleaned by rinsing in hot warm and dish detergent and hanging up to dry. I'm not an everyday shooter, by any means, but I've got multiple bore snakes that are 10 years old and I've never had one break nor thought one was worn enough that it has to be tossed.
Old July 19, 2019, 02:32 PM   #7
stinkeypete

Seems like the boresnake is too large for the bore you are snaking.

Me? I tie a flag of old tee shirt to a bit of stout string. If I get fancy, I crimp a .22 case around the other end of the string as a counterweight.

It’s good for getting powder fouling out of the bore, quick and easy. It doesn’t replace a bronze brushing but does reduce the times between brushing.

A broken length of plastic clothes hanger is a good diameter for pushing patches through the cylinder, but in a revolver I like to clean the barrel from forcing cone to muzzle and that means inserting a pistol rod, screwing on the brush, and pulling the rod out. The bore snake is easy to feed, and mine is not a very tight fit so breaking the string seems odd to me.

Last edited by stinkeypete; July 19, 2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old July 20, 2019, 10:27 AM   #8
pete2

I recently bought a .38 cal bore snake, got the rifle one to use on .38/357. I was a little disappointed that it didn't fit tighter than it does, it's not nearly as tight as the .22 or shotgun snakes. Maybe they've backed off so they won't stick.
Old July 20, 2019, 12:06 PM   #9
ammo.crafter

yikes, a snake!

I usually throw a bore snake in my hunting kit for after the hunt general barrel cleaning.

I cannot be the only person who has never had an issue, but I have not. It's convenient and easy to pack.
Old July 20, 2019, 02:02 PM   #10
RC20

Quote:
Somone share a method and we go all negative on it. hmmm

And my brother uses a bore snake and it does an impressive job (I know this because I have a boro scope)

Yes I can do better with my Carbon Killer 2000, but his 22 was as clean as they get and the 270 was good, just had too many years of crud built up.

So like or not, its a personal preference not a fact.
Old July 20, 2019, 03:49 PM   #11
FITASC

For longer barrels, and especially small bores like .223; tie a piece of paracord or that strong cord from Venetian blinds to the back loop so you can pull it back out WHEN the pull rope breaks (not if)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 21, 2019, 07:43 AM   #12
wild willy

If you don’t think they will get tight buy a .22 caliber one and try it in a 22 know to have a tighter bore.And the bore snake is listed for .22r
Old July 22, 2019, 10:48 AM   #13
pete2

My .22 bore snake is very tight both in rifle and pistol bbls. The .357 and .45 are not very tight. Seems to me the tighter the better the cleaning job.
I'll continue to use them, I wish they came without the brush, it is prolly impossible to pull one out backwards with the brush in it.
Old July 22, 2019, 02:46 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
You do realize that some of the ones that got really tight the pull rope broke?
What good does this criticism do, once the snake is already stuck?

"I see that you had your hand caught in an alligator's mouth and managed to get it out. You know that could have gone badly, right?"...
Old July 23, 2019, 10:01 PM   #15
balin

My boresnakes are in my range bag at all times. Get used just before I leave the range. Never an issue. Some are on their second decade. I have heard of people damaging their rifling and crowns when they broke their cleaning rods. The rare person will ever have that happen to them if they are careful. Same with the snakes. If that is the biggest problem I have to worry about for the future, then I have a darn good life.
Old July 24, 2019, 07:23 AM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
Bore snakes can be easily cleaned by rinsing in hot warm and dish detergent and hanging up to dry.
I toss mine in an old sock, knot the end, and toss it in the washing machine. Always works.

Boresnakes are should not be your primary means of cleaning your barrel, but have their place in some circumstances.