The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 4, 2019, 05:31 PM   #1
Brutus

Spotting scopes

Need a new spotting scope, won't be shooting more than 300 yards and I don't want to spend more than 400 bucks unless you can guarantee I can see the rings of Saturn with it.
Old April 4, 2019, 06:09 PM   #2
Rangerrich99

You can see the rings of Saturn with a good set of nocs, but I digress . . .

Question: what are you trying to see at 300 yards? I ask, because if you're trying to see .223 rem holes at 300 on a regular paper bullseye target (non-reactive) you're probably going to have to up your budget significantly.
Old April 4, 2019, 06:27 PM   #3
Brutus

Not what I wanted to hear.
The worst part about buying something like a spotting scope is that it's something you really need to get your hands on before buying, kinda like a pair of shoes, best prices are on line but you don't know what ya got till ya get it.

Last edited by Brutus; April 4, 2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old April 4, 2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Rangerrich99

If you're trying to see bullet holes in a paper target, I'd recommend using Shoot-N-C type targets that are much easier to see than just a hole in paper. They are more expensive, but I can easily see .223 rem hits at 300 yards using even a cruddy spotting scope.

I had a Vortex Diamondback spotting scope (20x60x60, retail $400) that was far better than the cheap scopes they rented at the range that worked just fine at 300 yards, as long as I was using a Shoot-N-C type target.

I sold it recently to fund something else, plus my girlfriend told me that if I'm nice and take her to Hawaii in 2020, she'll get me a Viper for my b-day this year. So I'm trying this "being nice" thing.
Old April 4, 2019, 07:07 PM   #5
TXAZ

There's another alternative that gives you an incredible picture of the target that's within your budget, and that's a target camera.

https://www.longshotcameras.com/coll...ducts/marksman

https://www.shootingmadeeasy.com/bullseye-range-camera/

No mirage and the batteries last longer than you'll want to be at the range. I used one like these to shoot 1 mile and it was great.

{Edit: The links are OK, but the images violate the board policy on posting copyrighted material unless you got permission from the copyright holder. The links are OK.}

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old April 4, 2019, 08:10 PM   #6
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99 View Post
If you're trying to see bullet holes in a paper target, I'd recommend using Shoot-N-C type targets that are much easier to see than just a hole in paper. They are more expensive, but I can easily see .223 rem hits at 300 yards using even a cruddy spotting scope.

This ^^^^^^
Old April 4, 2019, 08:47 PM   #7
603Country

Rangerrich is right. Those splash type targets help a lot. I have what may be the worst spotting scope on earth, being a Barska. With those splash targets I can see bullet holes at 300 and if I squint and the light is right, sometimes at 400 yards. Forget 500 yards.
Old April 5, 2019, 08:50 AM   #8
std7mag

TXAZ does have a good idea!
And Rangerrich, does indeed have good advice.

I tried one of the budget Simons spotting scopes. 20-60X60. It's possible to see 7mm holes at 300 yards. 223, ya gotta really squint!
Wait, is that bullet hole moving? Dang bugs!

Last year picked up a Celestron C70 Mini Mak.
Much better! And cost effective( $89 from Amazon).
Love this little scope!

I should note that i use white poster board with the 1" stick on orange dots.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old April 7, 2019, 08:53 AM   #9
Brutus

Went to the range yesterday and stopped off at Bass pro on the way.
They had very slim pickins, only 2 models available a BSA and a Pursuit model which was on sale for $67. In the store both models seemed the same and an improvement on my 30 year old Bushnell, So I bought the one on sale. Not a wise choice. Could see the bullet holes in the shoot-n-see target through my 4 x 14 rifle scope at 100 yards better than this thing plus I had to remove my glasses and plaster my eye on the thing to see, and 200 yards, forget it.
Needless to say I'll be returning it. So the search goes on. Wondering if a good set of binoculars would be a better choice and more useful.
Old April 7, 2019, 10:26 AM   #10
603Country

Binocs aren’t going to be a good replacement for a spotting scope. The long distance shooters are likely to tell you not to go cheap on a spotting scope, but personally I would like to find and buy the best cheap one, if such a thing exists. And that then moves us to the question about how cheap is cheap. My “Barfska” was cheap, at $60 or so. I wonder what quality you can get for less than $200.
Old April 8, 2019, 06:30 AM   #11
Brutus

Returned the Pursuit model at the local Cabelas yesterday, they had a much better selection, after looking them all over I bit the bullet and bought the Vortex diamondback 20x60x80. A lot more than I wanted to spend but at least I can see through it without having to remove my glasses. Only alternative was to sell my .223 and get something with bigger bullets.
Old April 10, 2019, 04:28 PM   #12
rpseraph

As an alternative to a spotting scope... though its not entirely practical

More than once I have video chatted with my wife's phone... one phone parked next to me on the bench, and the other phone parked, ideally behind a rock or something, focused on the target. Works surprisingly well!
Old April 10, 2019, 04:38 PM   #13
Rangerrich99

The camera thing in post #5 is a great idea. I always forget those things exist. If they're within budget, I'd seriously consider that.
Old April 12, 2019, 08:22 AM   #14
PALongbow

I actually bought the RedField spotting scope from Cabelas and was hesitant about it but after I used it few times I am impressed. It's a nice spotting scope for the money.

Ron
Old April 12, 2019, 08:25 AM   #15
Ricekila

Squeaking of spotting scopes ?

What mountings are used to install one into the lid of a range box -- I've seen it done with the really - really good pistol shooters --- but didn't pay attention to the mounting -- duh --

All I'm finding are tripods - large & small ?

Μολών Λaβέ
Old April 12, 2019, 08:49 AM   #16
Ricekila

Oops -- found one

Extends out from the underside of my range box ( rebuilt Harbor Fright wood box ) enough to clear the box edge

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Fold...s=photo&sr=1-7

See - I did my own homework --- but posted anyway

Μολών Λaβέ
Old April 14, 2019, 12:43 PM   #17
Unclenick
Staff

Most rifle shooters use a scope stand. Another expense. I have a good Kowa spotting scope, but at times have been unable to see .223 holes in the black on 300 yard targets at Viale range at Camp Perry. It depended how shadows and mirage were doing that day. But if you are shooting at your own range for your own purposes, then you can use the marker targets or use a non-bull's-eye target with white background at the POI to make it easier to tell where the holes are.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle