The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 8, 2011, 04:26 PM   #1
ethan95

Beretta 92 Brigadier problem

I recently purchased a used Beretta 92 brigadier, i went to the range to test her out. On the last round the slide will not lock back, it does occasionally but most of the time it does not. If I pull the slide back with a mag in, the slide does lock back on it's own. The gun was used and came with one mag, so i picked up two others (Beretta made). The new mags make no difference and the slide still does not lock back. What could be wrong?
Old February 8, 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
FrontSight

That's frustrating for sure! Have you contacted Beretta yet?
Old February 8, 2011, 06:51 PM   #3
10mm4ever

The slide wont lock back on its own without having an empty mag inserted.
Old February 8, 2011, 06:53 PM   #4
testuser

If the slide isn't locking back when you shoot, but is locking back 100% when you hand cycle, then there is a good chance someone has installed a spring that's too heavy. You'll notice that the empty brass lands relatively close to you.

You might solve the problem by replacing the recoil spring with a factory rated spring. Maybe the factory will send you one for free if you give them a call?
Old February 8, 2011, 06:55 PM   #5
David the Gnome

The slide stop spring may just be weak. If you call Beretta they could probably tell you better what part needs replacing. Normally this type of issue is either magazine related or user-related. Just to eliminate user-error, have you tried shooting it left handed, just to make sure you aren't accidentally hitting the slide stop?
Old February 8, 2011, 06:59 PM   #6
ethan95

Quote:
The slide wont lock back on its own without having an empty mag inserted.
I have been shooting with a magazine, and i have been shooting until the magazine is empty.

Quote:
Just to eliminate user-error, have you tried shooting it left handed, just to make sure you aren't accidentally hitting the slide stop?
I haven't tried that, but two other people have have shot it, and they both had the same problem. But It wouldn't be impossible for all making of us to be griping it a little off, ill give that a try. Looking at the gun, the actual slide stop is rather large its not to hard to touch with your thumb it if you aren't really aware of it.

I haven't called Beretta yet, and that's next on my list. I wanted to gather some information before I called them. I was thinking about the recoil spring, I'm going to go ahead and and order one, i was planing on getting a metal guide rod anyhow. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by ethan95; February 8, 2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Slopemeno

Replace the mag springs. Buy some extras.
Old February 8, 2011, 11:33 PM   #8
scottl

Pull your slide off.Insert empty mag and see where the follower is catching the stop.Stop could be wore and follower is barely missing it.

Tags
beretta , beretta 92 , slide release