The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 11, 2017, 08:34 AM   #26
jackmoser65

I understand all that, this ain't my first rodeo.

However, if the FFL shipping the firearm logs it into their books, like they're supposed to, it no longer legally belongs to you and must be transferred back on the return trip. Which requires a 4473 and a background check.

What I asked is if the gunsmith is shipping it back to you, how are you getting out of overnight charges on the return trip?

Sounds like your arrangement either involves a lot of free work on the part of the dealer, not notifying the carrier that the package contains a handgun or at worst, circumventing the law.
Old April 11, 2017, 09:05 AM   #27
KEYBEAR

Jack Please just stop . I know what works for me and it is all within the law .
You can do it anyway you like . Some times people do not know what they think they know .
Old April 11, 2017, 10:57 AM   #28
laytonj1

Quote:
However, if the FFL shipping the firearm logs it into their books, like they're supposed to, it no longer legally belongs to you and must be transferred back on the return trip. Which requires a 4473 and a background check.
Jack, I'm not so sure about that:
Per the ATF:

Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?

No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.

[27 CFR 478.124(a) and 478.147]

Jim
Old April 11, 2017, 01:20 PM   #29
jackmoser65

Quote:
Jack Please just stop .
Hey, you started this exchange when you decided to refute my post about paying $200 for shipping. Which is common, legal practice that doesn't involve 3rd parties in an effort to cheap out on shipping.

Quote:
I know what works for me and it is all within the law .
Is it within the law or do you just think it is?

Quote:
Some times people do not know what they think they know .
You told the truth there!

And you still haven't answered my question, three times now. How are you getting out of overnight charges on the return trip if it's coming directly to you from the gunsmith?

Quote:
Jack, I'm not so sure about that:
Per the ATF:

Is an ATF Form 4473 required when a gunsmith returns a repaired firearm?

No, provided the firearm is returned to the person from whom it was received.

[27 CFR 478.124(a) and 478.147]

Jim
Absolutely, you can send a firearm to a gunsmith and receive it back directly. Done it 100 times and have two out right now. However, that's not what's happening. He's using another FFL as an intermediary. I have never asked a dealer to ship a handgun for me that it didn't involve paperwork. Which is why I don't do it.

Last edited by jackmoser65; April 11, 2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old April 11, 2017, 05:53 PM   #30
KEYBEAR

Jack my FFL that ships my Guns To FFL,s and Gunsmiths Does not Log it in . He is only shipping to the Gunsmith that is also an FFL . If you read my post I stated I am more then likely PAYING TO HAVE IT SHIPPED BACK to my home . The more I think about your statement about the saving 200 dollars in shipping I just got to smile .
Old April 11, 2017, 08:45 PM   #31
natman

Quote:
Polishing the barrel flats and cylinder constitute "spending a lot of money"?
$450 according to the OP. IMO, that's a lot to spend on a gun, especially since it won't really fix the things the OP doesn't like about the gun.

Quote:
Have you ever shipped a handgun to a gunsmith? The OP has already saved at least $200 just by dropping the gun off.
No, he hasn't. It would be $650 if he spent $200 on shipping. Which is even more money, especially since it won't really fix the things the OP doesn't like about the gun.

Quote:
Polishing the barrel flats and cylinder are going to be very little compared to the rest. If you consider that "ostentatious", what could you possibly think about a full polished finish, engraving or exhibition grade wood stocks? Are all your guns flat black to avoid being "ostentatious"? What finish would be less likely to offend your delicate sensibilities?
The OP asked for opinions. I gave him mine. A two tone polish job is not to my taste. I said so. YMMV.

Quote:
This is why I don't spend much time on forums,
Feel free to spend less on this one.

Quote:
too many uninformed people sharing their opinion when they shouldn't be.
At least we can agree on this.
Old April 12, 2017, 09:35 AM   #32
jackmoser65

Quote:
If you read my post I stated I am more then likely PAYING TO HAVE IT SHIPPED BACK to my home .
So you may be paying overnight charges in one direction but don't know? So all this nonsense because you're paying $150 instead of $200? That's brilliant. That or you're still deflecting. Either way, it's not productive.

Quote:
$450 according to the OP. IMO, that's a lot to spend on a gun, especially since it won't really fix the things the OP doesn't like about the gun.
You do understand that $450 includes more than just the finish work right? It also includes shortening the barrel, re-installing the front sight, slab siding the barrel, porting and an action job. You do understand that all that work is more labor intensive and constitutes the bulk of the cost right? You do understand that shortening the barrel and slab siding it are efforts towards fixing the problem right? It's not a lot to spend at all for custom work. You've obviously never had any done.

Quote:
No, he hasn't. It would be $650 if he spent $200 on shipping.
Uh yeah, I know that. Was kind of my point.

Quote:
The OP asked for opinions. I gave him mine. A two tone polish job is not to my taste. I said so. YMMV.
Nor mine but to characterize it as ostentatious seems a little ostentatious.

Quote:
Feel free to spend less on this one.
Back at ya because so far, you have contributed nothing useful to this discussion. This argument is, simply put, quite stupid.
Old April 12, 2017, 09:52 AM   #33
natman

Quote:
How are you getting out of overnight charges on the return trip if it's coming directly to you from the gunsmith?
The gunsmith is an FFL. FFLs can mail handguns for far less money than overnight shipping.

Quote:
You do understand that $450 includes more than just the finish work right? It also includes shortening the barrel, re-installing the front sight, slab siding the barrel, porting and an action job. You do understand that all that work is more labor intensive and constitutes the bulk of the cost right? You do understand that shortening the barrel and slab siding it are efforts towards fixing the problem right? It's not a lot to spend at all for custom work. You've obviously never had any done.
Yes I do understand that the $450 includes more than the cosmetic changes. However, while shortening the barrel and slab siding it will reduce the weight some, it's my opinion that the minor reduction won't really solve the problem, the gun will still be big and heavy (and louder, kick more and generate lower velocities). True, $450 isn't a lot in the world of custom gun work, but it is a lot to sink into a gun you don't like and probably still won't like when it's done.
So my initial recommendation still stands; the OP would be better off to sell the gun, take the money from the sale + the $450 and buy something he actually wants.

Feel free to disagree. Forums would be pretty dull if everyone agreed on everything. But if you can't express your opinions without personal attacks and general jerkery, we're done.

Last edited by natman; April 12, 2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old April 12, 2017, 09:55 AM   #34
shootbrownelk

I thought this thread was about customizing a Ruger Super RedHawk. I have one and was hoping to get more information on the Modifications and Who and Where the Gunsmith was located. Anyway, to the OP....It's your gun, do what ever you want to it.
Old April 12, 2017, 11:20 AM   #35
jackmoser65

Quote:
The gunsmith is an FFL. FFLs can mail handguns for far less money than overnight shipping.
HE IS RECEIVING THE FIREARM DIRECTLY BACK FROM THE GUNSMITH, WHICH CANNOT UTILIZE USPS SHIPPING!!! That only works FFL to FFL. Please read more carefully.

Quote:
Yes I do understand that the $450 includes more than the cosmetic changes. However, while shortening the barrel and slab siding it will reduce the weight some, it's my opinion that the minor reduction won't really solve the problem, the gun will still be big and heavy (and louder, kick more and generate lower velocities). True, $450 isn't a lot in the world of custom gun work, but it is a lot to sink into a gun you don't like and probably still won't like when it's done.
So my initial recommendation still stands; the OP would be better off to sell the gun, take the money from the sale + the $450 and buy something he actually wants.
On that we agree.
Old April 21, 2017, 08:52 AM   #36
Master Blaster

You are going to spend $450 making a $750 value used gun into a $500 value (harder to sell too) used gun. The porting will make the gun louder, and really not do much otherwise. If the gun is too big and heavy to carry in the field, the custom work will not fix that issue as it will only chop off a couple of ounces. Sell the gun for $700 and take the $450 and get a gun that meets your needs $1150 will buy a nice and lighter revolver.
Old May 13, 2017, 01:34 AM   #37
Bongo Boy

I've seen several Super Redhawk custom jobs that I think have really made a huge positive difference in how the gun looks...which is worthwhile for any owner who has strong preferences in such things. Even though I don't think the op asked for any opinions, I do share the view that porting detracts...but to me that's not always the case.

But whatever you choose to do with your SR, I'm sure everyone including me would like to see the result. Removing the hideous lettering alone is worth the trouble. I just did mine by hand (the 'Alaskan' part anyway)--it's a 'working' gun...

I think the only way I've found to 'carry' this thing is in a backpack.
Old May 13, 2017, 05:21 AM   #38
Old Stony

Another warped thread ! Getting back to the original post....I think you are on your way to having an interesting and fun gun to play with. Without a doubt the Redhawks are heavy and somewhat bulky, but having your work done can result in a unique handgun with potential.
I hope you will post pic's of it when finished. Sounds interesting.