The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 18, 2016, 01:27 PM   #1
stagpanther

Creedmoor AR build showing promise

After taking a long break to mess with (too) many other gun projects--I decided to run some varget--driven loads of Nosler ballistic tips. I've never read anywhere that varget was a choice powder for the creedmoor--but my rifle seems to like it.

In the spirit of full disclosure--I did pull a "liar flier" out of the 5 shots--but still a pretty good group otherwise.
Old August 20, 2016, 07:19 AM   #2
CarJunkieLS1

Nice I'm building a gas gun in .260 Rem. I hope its as accurate as your rifle is. I chose .260 Rem over the 6.5CM because of brass quality (Lapua) and I can neck down all the Winchester and Hornady 7mm-08 brass I have to use in the woods. My Lapua will be range use only and I'll use a brass catcher.
Old August 20, 2016, 07:54 AM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
Nice I'm building a gas gun in .260 Rem. I hope its as accurate as your rifle is. I chose .260 Rem over the 6.5CM because of brass quality (Lapua) and I can neck down all the Winchester and Hornady 7mm-08 brass I have to use in the woods. My Lapua will be range use only and I'll use a brass catcher.
Thanks

I also built a 260 rem AR out of curiosity--for my level of skill there is no practical difference between the Creedmoor and 260 as far as I can tell in terms of accuracy/ballistics--though I'm guessing theoretically the creedmoor may have a ever so slight advantage if you build a space gun and seat bullets long into the lands. My experience has been feed ramps are tricky for 6.5 bullets with sharp ogive angles and a fairly deeply set-back shoulder on the case--so I don't seat creedmoors long anyway. 260 rems don't seem to be quite as finicky since more of the bullet is down in the case--and I think you can squeeze a bit more velocity out of the 260 than the creedmoor.

7mm 08 might be a tad easier to reform--I do mine from 308 but must anneal the cases and then turn the necks. I also bought a box of Lapua 260 cases for quick loads when I'm not in the mood for "hobbying" with spent 308 cases lol.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 20, 2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old August 20, 2016, 10:27 AM   #4
CarJunkieLS1

I ran the #'s and with the limitation of 2.815 or so because of mag length. It's really not much difference between them. My biggest factor was brass quality and Lapua makes .260 not 6.5CM. So that's why I chose the .260.

I am only gonna shoot the 123 Amax and 120 class bullets in my .260 so bullets deep in the case isn't going to be a huge issue for me. Just hoping my .260 shoots as well as your Creedmoor does
Old August 20, 2016, 12:18 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
I am only gonna shoot the 123 Amax and 120 class bullets in my .260 so bullets deep in the case isn't going to be a huge issue for me. Just hoping my .260 shoots as well as your Creedmoor does
My rifle shoots way ahead of me : )

Unless you're splitting hairs in a 1000 yd match--you should get the same kind of results in the 260 I would think. Who's barrel are you using?
Old August 20, 2016, 01:44 PM   #6
CarJunkieLS1

I'm gonna use an X-Caliber barrel. I've got one of them for an AR-15 chambered in 7mm Valkyrie and I know several other people with them and they are all sub-MOA shooters.
Old August 21, 2016, 06:11 PM   #7
stagpanther

nice.
Old August 26, 2016, 05:14 AM   #8
stagpanther

Speaking of 260 rem vs Creedmoor--I decided to load up some berger 130 gr AR hybrids last night for my 260 build and give them a go. Using RL19 I noticed the "case crunch"--my statement above in a previous post that the 260 might get a bit of extra velocity over the creedmoor is incorrect--since the shoulder setback of the creedmoor allows bullets to be seated a bit longer that frees up a tad more capacity for powder.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 26, 2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old August 26, 2016, 01:19 PM   #9
stagpanther

Just got back--here is one of the better groupings (only had enough bullets for 4 shot groups).

To be fair, in comparison to the Creedmoor, I only have about 50 rounds down the barrel so I consider it not fully "broken in" yet. On top of that I am using a 3 x 9 prostaff scope--definitely not in the same class as the 16x SWFA super sniper I use on my Creedmoor. Since Varget worked well with my creedmoor loads I'll try it on the 260 as well.
Old August 26, 2016, 08:26 PM   #10
CarJunkieLS1

Nice shooting man!! That gives me a huge idea as to what mine will look like. I am using the same handguard as you. I am ordering the barrel tonight and was quoted 8-10 weeks. If my .260 looks as good and shoots as good as yours does I will be 100% happy. I also will be shooting the 120gr class of bullets so the bullet seating depth eating powder space shouldn't be a real issue.
Old August 27, 2016, 01:13 AM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
Nice shooting man!! That gives me a huge idea as to what mine will look like. I am using the same handguard as you. I am ordering the barrel tonight and was quoted 8-10 weeks. If my .260 looks as good and shoots as good as yours does I will be 100% happy. I also will be shooting the 120gr class of bullets so the bullet seating depth eating powder space shouldn't be a real issue.
Honestly--I'm not an especially good shot but am willing to do lots of reloading to find what my rifles like best--so I would not be surprised if you got better results than me, assuming you have a good barrel. Good luck and post pics/results.
Old August 27, 2016, 07:42 PM   #12
CarJunkieLS1

For sure I will. I was quoted 8-10 weeks I can't wait.
Old August 27, 2016, 10:12 PM   #13
Stugotz

Lapua will be offering brass in 6.5 Creedmoor

I've read on other forums that Lapua will be offering brass in 6.5 Creedmoor. it will have small primer pockets.

"May as well go ahead and drive a stake through the heart of this thread right now; Yes, we currently have 6.5 Creedmoor in to works. We discussed this one at length in Finland during a new products development meeting a few months back. Several of us were pushing this one rather hard, due to the tremendous feedback we'd taken on the cartridge, and the popularity that the cartridge has already earned. Not a big one in Europe, but the US market is a significant share of our business, and we most definitely do listen to customer input. The first set ups are currently being done, and the initial trial run and in-house testing will be done shortly after that. If all goes well, we'll move on with production and hopefully make the formal introduction of this one during the SHOT show in January.

Hang on guys, it's coming".

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Last edited by Stugotz; August 27, 2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Added Message from Lapua factory Rep.
Old August 28, 2016, 12:31 AM   #14
stagpanther

That's good--anything Lapua is a good thing--though I must say the Hornady brass is quite good for the most part. My cases always seem to flow a bit when forming to the chamber in my AR build, and I always have to knock the shoulders back a bit when resizing.

Is the "small primer pockets" tongue-in-cheek humor?
Old August 28, 2016, 12:44 AM   #15
stagpanther

BTW--the swift sirocco seems to be a great bullet for both the creedmoor and 260--I would do more with it but it's hard to find--and pretty pricey.
Old August 29, 2016, 05:11 AM   #16
NWCP

Quote:
CarJunkieLS1 you will not be disappointed. My 260 is built around the Savage Model 12. It is a long range tack driver for sure. I built it for bench shooting at extreme distances and it is a hoot. Wouldn't want to carry it in the field to far though. It weighs over 11 pounds without the scope. The 260 is an overlooked round that never ceases to amaze me. Enjoy yours, which I'm sure you will.