The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 4, 2019, 12:35 AM   #1
Brit

The Steyr AUG. Mod of 1977

Back in the day, I contracted to Styer in Austria, to sell black Mil-Spec Bullpups to Tactical Police teams.

In Canada, the full auto rules were different. If the rifle in question, had never been fired in full auto, it was not full auto. The rifles I received, were stamped, AUG. The none mil-spec rifles, sold from gun shops, were stamped AUG SA.
And could not allow the mil-spec trigger group to fit. But in my Rifles, you could insert the military group in, now full auto, no selector switch! Press gently on the trigger BANG one shot. Pull the trigger fully to the rear, fully depressed, it would fire, till all the rounds were fired, or you released the trigger.

The difference being, in my rifles, you could pull the self-loading (Semi-Auto) trigger group out, put the Military trigger group in, now full auto.

The Police SWAT/Tactical Officers, wanted the full-auto trigger groups, the head office in the Plant in Austria, wanted what the Police wanted.

I said no! I had taken a SWAT course (one-week long course in Tennessee) not sure how old I was, 50? The rest of the class were younger, a couple under 30!

A young man, under fire for the first time? Brrrrp 15 rounds or so are gone downrange. Possibly. The features I sold the AUG on, Bullpup, 16" barrel, real short overall length. Part of the receiver had a 1.5 power Swarski Scope fitted. Fantastic light-gathering properties. See-through magazines, 30 round standard. If you could see one round? You had 15 rounds left. Safety catch, same as their Remington Pump Shotguns, The first sniper I had fire a Demo Rifle, prone 100M in Ottawa. Two headshots. No, they did not buy? No budget. But I sold some, my real objective. Sell all Police Forces, not just Tack Teams! Dreaming yes?
Old December 5, 2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Not many rifles in patrol cars back then----seems the 870 shotgun was the standard issue heavy weapon.
-------Metallica
Old December 5, 2019, 07:45 PM   #3
Ricklin

Worked with a crab fishing skipper back in the 80's he had an AUG, full auto. His was legally on the register. Crab fisherman can afford it.

There are few better places to uncork a full auto than a few hundred miles offshore. I had a crewman who decided to do the same. I let him know if he brought his Vietnam bring back AK47 on my boat, both he and the weapon would remain on the beach. Shame someone did not register it during the amnesty, even as full auto goes an ex NVA AK 47 is worth serious money. He was truly an idiot.
Old December 5, 2019, 08:44 PM   #4
FITASC

Had a chance in the early 80s to snag several AUGs for $450/ea including the LH conversion bolt

Woulda, coulda, shoulda
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa