The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 19, 2019, 03:06 PM   #1
ADIDAS69

Marlin 1895CB

Picked up the rifle now it needs accessories. Mostly a peep sight. It’s drilled and tapped for scopes on the top of the receiver but it’s seems blasphemous to put a scope on this rifle. Suggestions welcome, above all suggestions should be not only functional but also beautiful.
Old September 19, 2019, 03:10 PM   #2
ADIDAS69

Scope would be fine but it’d have to be one of those old school brass ones or what have you
Old September 19, 2019, 05:45 PM   #3
10-96

http://skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html Skinners are always a sturdy, classic looking, and functional way to go.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 20, 2019, 01:39 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
it’s seems blasphemous to put a scope on this rifle.
On a Winchester, I'd agree but on a Marlin? no way. The solid flat top of the Marlin action is perfect for a scope.

A new Marlin isn't exactly "old west period correct" in all ways, anyway...

your gun, your choice. I had an old Weaver K2.5 (with a post reticle) on my 1895, was a great combination. My gun was one of the ones made before the Guide gun or the pushbutton safety.
Old September 22, 2019, 09:58 PM   #5
Pathfinder45

Good aperture sights are a huge improvement over open sights. I wouldn't scope that rifle either. The 45-70 is not a flat shooting caliber, but with good aperture sights, it would probably be decent out to 200 yards or so. I would think that some of the Skinner sights are probably more rugged, but I am partial to tang-mounted sights on lever-action rifles; Marbles and Lyman make some good ones.
Certainly, a scope opens up greater capabilities, but why handicap those advantages with a 45-70 when the scoped rifle stands out with a caliber that can utilize it better; like a 270 winchester.

Last edited by Pathfinder45; September 22, 2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 23, 2019, 09:32 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Yep. Like a slug gun, a ghost ring is a great choice for the big slow bullet rifle for snap shooting at close range and is still very accurate as the yardage starts to accrue. You're not going to compete with the Sharps long-range shooters with it, but for the field, I like that arrangement.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 28, 2019, 10:45 PM   #7
rock185

I have a Lyman aperture type sight on an old Winchester 94, but have nothing against a scope on a lever action. I have a 16" Marlin 1894 .44 with a Leupold scope. I don't have a cowboy hat, so can't even pretend to be a modern day cowboy. And the scope, though non traditional, sure comes in handy for actually hitting what I'm aiming at
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin carbines (1) - Copy - Copy.JPG (116.0 KB, 15 views)