The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 26, 2002, 07:23 PM   #26
ATeaM

I think what Rick is trying to say is have someone else do your dirty work.
Old April 26, 2002, 07:31 PM   #27
ATeaM

He-he, just kidding...again (what a sense of humor ).

Rick, what you described sounds intolerable. It's always good to promote the peace, but nobody should have to put up with that. Your situation would be better suited for "la migra" than the police.
Old April 26, 2002, 07:56 PM   #28
jhon

Tainted,

From what you have said, it would seem that this guy was way out of line. However, since this person litterally lives right beside you, it would be in your best interest to try and make some sort of amends. I know, it sticks in your craw, as would mine. Yet, the fact remains that for the forseeable future, you will be living in "condition yellow", if the situation doesn't change for the better. That's no way for a man to live. Your home is sopposed to be your castle, a place of refuge from the pressures of work, ect.. . If you find yourself jumping at unexpected sounds, and loud noises, you don't need me to tell ya that something will probably give, and outcome may not be pretty.

My suggestion would be to wonder over to his pad, and let him know that you were "sorry" for gettting a little out of line. Maybe offer him an extra ball game ticket, or whatever your imagination can come up with that would seem appropriate. Make a point of waving, and saying hello when you see him. He MAY even be an ok guy, albeit, one with a very short fuse.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear. It's not as sexy as luring him into your home, and forcing him to kneel before you with an autoloader stuck in his mouth, wetting the carpet, while you introduce him to the rules of edicate. However, if you can nutralize the threat with a minimal loss of face, I say give it a shot.

Stay cool,

Jhon
Old April 26, 2002, 11:37 PM   #29
Rickmeister

Quote:
Your situation would be better suited for "la migra" than the police.
My feelings exactly, AteaM.

Unfortunately, they are LEGAL aliens. So they have the inalienable right to trash my rights.

Go figure.
Old May 1, 2002, 12:21 PM   #30
Tainted

Wow you all have givin some excelent advice!
Well I decided that I did not want to have to deal with always worrying about getting hit in the head with a brick while on my patio. So I loaded up the .50 cal and unloaded a box into his bedroom last night
Now you may think I over reacted

Just kidding, Man me and A-Team would get along great!

But I was able to handle the situation. First step before attemting to talk to the guy was to insure my safety. As I did not want to walk over there with a .45 on my hip. I did put my colapsable batton in my waistband concealed. Then I when over to my friend who lives behind me. He is a VERY large and scary looking dude. But really hes a big nice guy. So I just asked if he would mind hanging out by his car incase things get nasty then maybe come to my aid. Or even just call the cops saying he saw it. I wanted a witness if he tried anything.

I walked over about 6:00pm with 2 beers. Knocked on the door and he answered. I started with "Hey I think we have gotten off to a bad start as neighbors. My name is Mike" *shakes hand and he introduces himself also. I offer a beer to him and we stroll out in between the buildings and get this. HE starts to appologise. Saying that he is under a lot of presure at work and things didnt work out with the house he was trying to buy, and he is terribly sorry he took it out on me and my girlfriend. I appologised to him also because I never intended to wake him up. We exchanged phone numbers and he promised to be much mor tollerant. He even said that he knew we were not being loud but he could hear our voices and he over reacted. All in all he seems like a rather nice guy. Sort of.

So it has been resolved with no harm or foul on either side of the fence.

Thanks for everyones responce!
theres a lot of love on this board.
Comon people feel the LOVE
I need a hug now.
Old May 1, 2002, 02:18 PM   #31
Mr.Wingshooter

Beer Justice

Heh, I think will swap out my concealed pistol for a concealed 8 ounce compact beer. Now how to keep it cold?

lol,

good job,
Old May 1, 2002, 03:58 PM   #32
zot

you didn't press charges?you would had your CCW, I thought if your threatened with harm, even a felon can get a gun?
Old May 1, 2002, 04:18 PM   #33
Tainted

Zot I really cannot figure out what you said
please refrase so I can answer your questions.

In regards to charges I really had nothing to press charges for. Just me saying that he said he was gonna hit me does not fly with the police. I filed a police report so if it became repitious I would have documentation. Now if I had witnesses out side of the situation then I have more ground to stand on.

I do not have a CCW so I left the gun at home. Walking up to defuse a already tense situation with a loaded gun on my hip did not sound like a good idea. Also think of the legal stand point.

Prosecutor would eat me for lunch for shooting a guy in his own door way. I walk over there with a loaded gun then shot him in self defense. Even sounds like premeditated murder to me.

Plus it would worry my neighbors to see a armed person walking around drinking beer.

Last edited by Tainted; May 1, 2002 at 04:52 PM.
Old May 1, 2002, 05:39 PM   #34
wingnutx

Getting a tape recorder or one of those little x10 web cams would be a good idea, if you want to be able to demonstrate his aggression to police or a judge. Document everything. You might want to keep pepper spray (better yet, bear repellant) by the front door or on your person.

Open carry is legal here in AZ, but I don't think it is a good idea in most situations. I only open carry on the way to and from the range, or doing yard work in the middle of the night.
Old May 5, 2002, 04:45 AM   #35
Bugflipper

Son be careful in this situation. I would advise against carrying a pistol in view, unless that's the only legal way it can be carried. My reason being, I'm 220lbs and bodybuild avidly. I know, even with my dual retention holster it's possible for an attacker to grab my pistol and kill me.
I would recomend you study your state and local laws and conform to them 100% in this situation. In our era of Liberal views, I have seen many self defense cases turn into prison time for the man trying to defend himself. I would recomend less than lethal forms of protection if local laws allow. If permitted to carry pepper spray my first choice would be Freeze +P, as of a year or two back it was the most powerful legal spray for a citizen to carry. In my dept. each officer must be certified with this. It burns like hell fire for about 30 minutes. 95% of assailants sprayed flop like a fish and squeal like a school girl. However in my experience some people have no symptoms from it. If your last recourse of action is to use lethal force be sure you are within the law.
I know a fellow that went to prison 2 or 3 months ago for murder. He was always in trouble, just piddly stuff all his life. A very likeable guy that never was a real problem. He's in his forties ate up with cancer and about 6 foot 130lbs. He was drunk a big fellow started whooping up on him in his own yard. He hit the man in the head with a 2 X 4 one time. The other guy died, he spent 3 months in the hospital. He was found guilty of first degree murder, doing 15 years. More than likely he will die in prison, with his health problems. This was a good humble fellow that in my oppinion was just trying to get the guy off of him, but the jury didn't see it that way. I encourage any law abiding citizen to carry a concealed firearm where legal, however pulling it out or using it is sometimes not the best answer.