The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 10, 2006, 02:12 PM   #76
Chris Phelps

ahh how right you are. But thats just it... everyone knows this crap happens in the world, so in fact, those who choose to not be ready for it can never say they didnt see it comming, can they?
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old January 10, 2006, 02:19 PM   #77
pickpocket

haha...yeah but there's a difference. Its the difference between knowing that there's traffic cops out there and still not slowing down...and SEEING 10 of them with cars pulled over on your way to work but still not slowing down.

Or...I know there's meteors out there and that they crash to earth occassionally...but how real is the threat of getting hit in the head.

Risk management, gentlemen. I believe there's significant difference between acknowledging possibilities and preparing for probabilities.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old January 10, 2006, 02:48 PM   #78
Trip20

This post, says it all
Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
PythonGuy ~

Good post. Let me try to find some common ground.

I know what you mean about some posts being funny. You're amused by folks who carry everywhere. I'm bemused when I see threads with titles like, "Do you carry to a friend's house?" "Do you carry at home?" "Do you carry to work?" "Do you carry at church?" etc ad infinitum.

The reason those threads amuse me is because, well, I carry. And I go places and do things. I don't carry "to a friend's house," or "to church" or "at home" -- I simply carry, wherever I might be. My default setting is to carry and if I'm not carrying it is because I made a deliberate decision not to do so right then. The reason I carry is never because I think whatever I'm doing is particularly dangerous; if I think something is particularly dangerous, I simply don't do it (or at least I find a way to do it more safely -- such as during the day instead of at night, or with a friend instead of alone). So all the angst about whether carry is appropriate in a particular venue just leaves me bemused.

A lot of people do the exact opposite. They go places and do things, but their default setting is to leave the gun locked up at home. If they carry at all, it's because they made a conscious decision to carry that day -- generally because they thought they were doing something particularly dangerous. I don't do it that way simply because my crystal ball has never been very good and I've noticed that bad things generally happen to me when I'm not expecting it. If other folks have noticed that bad things happen to them only when they are expecting it and prepared for it, who am I to argue? It's their lives.

I just wish they could refrain from insulting me for my choices, in the same way I refrain from insulting them for their choices.

pax
Old January 12, 2006, 10:16 PM   #79
miconoakisland

Wild

Like Pax, my default is armed. Random violence is just that---random.

My chances of randomly needing a firearm, while randomly carrying, while randomly becoming a victim of random violence are astronomically remote.

The reason I carry all the time is not because of the odds of a needed occurrance, but because of what's at stake---my life. Do you only use your seatbelt some of the time? Do you only ride in an airbag-equipped vehicle? Do you drive drunk and speed only on occassion? Do you only point a gun and pull the trigger if you "think" a firearm is unloaded?

Personal safety is an important issue for me. To lay bleeding and dying, knowing I could've changed/avoided it all if I had just followed my own safety rules would be a haunting last thought. I won't become a victim of my own negligence.

I'm not a paranoid fanatic, I live in a very "safe" area, but "on me, within arms reach" where legally available to me is my way of doing things. But, I am not restricted by these things, nor do I live looking over my shoulder. Being armed is no more of a lifestyle to me than being clothed, buckled up, money-clipped/ID'd, and keyed, etc. I've only needed my driver's license/CHP once during a road block check in over six years, but I carry them with me everytime--does that make me paranoid or prepared?
Old January 12, 2006, 10:38 PM   #80
Harley Quinn

Why carry?

Well for one thing they had an article in the paper about a 15 year old being beat to death while waiting on a bus in a nice area. 10:30 am in the morn on a nice sunny day on a busy street and not one person helped this youngster.

3 gangsta's jumped out of a car and beat him to death. Mind you at least no less then 50 cars a minute go by this corner or more at this time of day.
No help Nothing except a 911 call by a passing Vehicle.

By the time the police got there he was dead. Some information on the car and it is a vehicle that was seen at a prior shooting a few nights before.

He was not supposed to be in a gang, but then who knows. Someone said it is initiation time and they are on the roam to prove they can kill innocents to get into the gang.:barf:

I understand the normal everyday citizen not wanting to get involved but most coppers and retired ones are not like that at all. When the shtf I hope I am ready. I try to be alert and packing.

I have to tell you if I saw that I would stop, I would have shot all three, you can take that to the bank.
I know all what if and what for and this and that.
But at the time it would all have been, I want to protect that youngster.

If you don't have that mind set don't carry. IMHO

Why carry? Because...

To stay on topic for those who seem obsessed against small deviations.
I will say I have several guns (loaded) well placed around the house and numerous batons and canes.
While I sleep I have a loaded 40 cal no more than 2' from me.

Harley
Old January 13, 2006, 12:18 AM   #81
pickpocket

Yeah, we all understand "why carry"....but the main point of the thread was about the placement of defensive weapons in your home, though...not whether or not people should carry on the street.

Nobody is saying people who carry are over-doing it.... it's the fact that some people feel the need to go all 007 in their homes just in case that has us going back and forth

Old January 13, 2006, 01:42 AM   #82
Harley Quinn

Pick Pocket

I remember a SGt I knew. I went to his house to take a car to him and drop it off for the next day so he would have it. My Partner and I went our merry way.
He was in a tee shirt and trousers, on his hip was his service revolver. I was surprised. He explained he never was without it, in his home, car, at work etc.
I believe it had to be the area he lived in at the time. Lake View Terrace.
Rodney King area of confrontation (much later).
But it started me asking others. Do you guys carry at home in the house in the garage, Yep, lots of them were infatic about it 'Yes' was the answer most of the time.

I became much more in tuned to it and have been aware and had them around but not on me at every turn. Still that way.

I am talking about active police officers and retired. Not joe citizen.
(I know all of us are citizens)...

When I moved to the Sacramento area I moved into an area and across the street fom me was a CHP. He carried all the time, you saw it when he was mowing his lawn.
I talked to him about it, he was in a shooting right where we were talking, a couple of years prior when a couple of Gangsta's tried to come into his open garage about 11 in the eve.
He was walking his dog and when he got home they were in his garage, they saw him jumped into their car and tried to run over him, he shot both of them.
They fled and were arrested later at the hospital.
They were out of their area and passing thru and thought it was an easy mark. Wrong.

Harley
Old January 13, 2006, 10:16 AM   #83
pickpocket

Right on! No, I think you're missing my point as well, though. If you're going to carry, then carry. Your CCW should be like your wallet or your shoes, always on or within reach.

There's a fine line between prepared and paranoid, though. If you carry when you're at home, good. If you carry while mowing your yard, good. If you place 10 different weapons caches around your house awaiting the day that Rainbow Six comes storming through your door, then maybe you have issues

Old January 14, 2006, 10:43 AM   #84
sparkysteve

I have my .357 revolver, 2 speed-loaders, and a flashlight in my bedroom dresser drawer. My 90 pound Labrador will notify me of any unwanted guests. That's enough for me. I don't need to hide a gun in every room of my house. I think anyone who does is paranoid, has something to hide, or lives in a much rougher nieghborhood than mine. To each their own I guess.

Dont tread on me.
Old January 14, 2006, 11:55 AM   #85
Tim Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpocket
Your CCW should be like your wallet or your shoes, always on or within reach.
If I have my wallet and shoes on, I probably do have my CCW with me in the house. However, I don't always have my wallet & shoes on or within reach. In a multi-level house, I'd want at least 1 ready safe and 2 ready guns on each level. In an apartment, a bedstand ready safe may be sufficient.