The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 10, 2006, 09:53 PM   #26
pickpocket

Quote:
What weapons did you guys use to clear those Iraqi houses
M4 carbines, M16's (A4) the Benelli M1014's (although to be honest my unit didn't have any) and even some of the older Remington 870's.

My preferred entry weapons are the AT-4, SMAW, or Mk19

We carried M9's but preferred not to rely on them if we didn't have to. A few of us were smart and brought some quality HPs with us when we flew over, but I still only used the M9 in really tight spaces or when I needed a free hand. But, that said, don't ever let anyone tell you that a 9mm isn't a viable weapon

For the most part, in that environment, I prefer the carbine with a shotgun a close second. But then like Cmu_sniper said, it's what I know, what I'm comfortable with.

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"
Old January 10, 2006, 10:12 PM   #27
Mikeyboy

Quote:
What weapons did you guys use to clear those Iraqi houses
Pickpocket, I heard in the big battles in Sunni strongholds, they would just level the house with some HE or a tank round. When there are no friendlies around why risk a soldiers' lives to clear a house. For a few thousands dollars, you reimburse the homeowner (unless he is an insurgent) for the house which is probably 50X more than the house is worth, plus your putting Iraqis to work rebuilding.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:23 PM   #28
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
A few of us were smart and brought some quality HPs with us when we flew over
That would get you a courts martial or at least captain's mast if I had caught you.
Or maybe I should just call Maj Russell now and report you, Williams. Oh yeah, I'm an MP . You know you love to hate us!
Heheheh, ok enough hijacking this thread.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old January 10, 2006, 10:30 PM   #29
pickpocket

Quote:
That would get you a courts martial or at least captain's mast if I had caught you.
What an amazingly asinine thing to say.
Nice to know that you wouldn't have anything better to worry about in a combat zone.

I spent 10 years and two combat tours in the Marine Corps. I brought my entire sqaud back in one piece...TWICE. I don't need judgemental **** from anyone about what kind of ammo I carried. Get off your horse.

Mikey:
yeah, if tanks were available. Unfortunately there were more houses than there were tanks. But that was during the initial invasion.
My last go-round, we weren't cleared to fire anything over 84mm without clearance from Regiment or Division. Somehow AT-4's came in under the command's radar.
You're right, though...I'd rather level a house than risk one of my men. On the other side of that, I didn't want any of my guys to carry around images of dead women and kids...at least more than they had to. It's a fine line.

I think the thread is wandering

Old January 10, 2006, 10:39 PM   #30
ethernectar

One in the Chamber said:
Quote:
The first noise the BG hears should be his last.
+1

No tactical experience here, but a frequent shooter.
Old January 10, 2006, 10:49 PM   #31
pickpocket

Edited.

Old January 10, 2006, 11:06 PM   #32
Cmu_Sniper

It looks like this is starting to be a pissing match with you Blackwater. I must say though that telling Pickpocket that if you would have caught hime he would have gotten a court martial or captain's mast is pretty disrespectful. In fact I find it quite alarming that in the face of battle, in such a war, that someone would look to play against its own. Im no military man, and dont claim to be one. Also it may not be my place to speak on such a subject, however being an MP is no where near being a grunt on the battle feild. In my world of SWAT being an MP would be like being a SCHOOL CROSSING GAURD compared to being a SWAT operator as would an MP to a combat soldier. But thats just my opinion. I just find it very disrespectful you would even tell a fellow Soldier something like that.
Old January 10, 2006, 11:10 PM   #33
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

*Ahem* Will the liberal application of a fire extinguisher here be enough, or do I need to break out the big guns?

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 10, 2006, 11:17 PM   #34
Blackwater OPS

Quote:
MP is no where near being a grunt on the battle feild. In my world of SWAT being an MP would be like being a SCHOOL CROSSING GAURD compared to being a SWAT operator as would an MP to a combat soldier.
First of you obviously have no idea what MPs do on the battlefield, I would be willing to bet I have done as much MOUT and building clearing as any Marine (he is not a soldier and I would not insult him by refering to him as such).
Second, I was on a SRT team which IS the military version of "SWAT".
Would I really bust anyone in combat for having HPs? Hell no, I was being a smartA$$. Enough hijacking of this thread I will not post on it anymore, if you have a comment for me use PM.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old January 10, 2006, 11:28 PM   #35
Cmu_Sniper

Well I stand by what I say. Your true colors are expressed in your style of message on this forum and quite frankly, Im not putting down any military person, im just putting down you. SO take it as you will. And your right about you being a smart A$&. Not a good attitude to have. PM that!!
Old January 10, 2006, 11:46 PM   #36
stratus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmu_Sniper
Well I stand by what I say. Your true colors are expressed in your style of message on this forum and quite frankly, Im not putting down any military person, im just putting down you. SO take it as you will. And your right about you being a smart A$&. Not a good attitude to have. PM that!!
Blackwater is a good guy, I have known him for a while now and can vouch for his "true colors" better than you can. He just doesn't believe that racking a shotgun is the best way to go about preserving one's own life, which, believe it or not, is what eventually escalated into arguing for whatever reason.

I'm going to reiterate what has been rightly observed by a couple of veterans on this forum: IT'S THE @#$(* INTERNET, IT'S NOT @#$()* REAL.

Let's everyone just pretend it didn't happen so that this thread can fizzle out with dignity?
Old January 11, 2006, 12:31 AM   #37
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

*sigh*

They just won't listen, ma.

Quote:
Let's everyone just pretend it didn't happen so that this thread can fizzle out with dignity?
If I did that, there's other folks I'd have to apologize to.

Closed, for going from a theoretical battlefield to a personal battlefield.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread