The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 20, 2002, 10:06 AM   #1
Drizzt

Brit Police Getting Moves From The Matrix.....

Copyright 2002 Nationwide News Pty Limited
The Daily Telegraph(Sydney)

May 20, 2002, Monday

SECTION: WORLD; Pg. 20

LENGTH: 123 words

HEADLINE: Bobbies in Keanu's moves

SOURCE: MATP

BODY:
LONDON: British police officers are being trained in a form of self-defence employed by the star Keanu Reeves in hit action movie The Matrix. The Canadian developer of the Spontaneous Protection Enabling Accelerated Response course will teach the skills to officers from 22 forces.

Tony Blauer's technique inspired some of the action in the 1999 science fiction movie filmed in Sydney.

Officers will be taught how to turn defensive reactions -- such as the urge to cover eyes or other organs -- into an "open-handed blow" to the assailant.

Constable Simon Rogers of Warwickshire police said: "We do The Matrix drill. You know the bit where Keanu Reeves stands still and just moves his body as the bullets fly past him."

LOAD-DATE: May 19, 2002
"That a free citizen should have to go before a committee, hat in hand, and pray for permission to bear arms - fantastic! Arm your daughter, sir, and pay no attention to petty bureaucrats." Robert Heinlein - Red Planet
Old May 20, 2002, 01:45 PM   #2
Kharn

So their training will include drunken boxing?
(Watch the computer screen during the training scene)

Kharn
Old May 20, 2002, 01:49 PM   #3
therookie

But will they be able so say ...... 'Whoa....'

or ' I know Kung-Fu'....
Old May 20, 2002, 02:13 PM   #4
Skorzeny

So the British police will use Wu-Shu, the Beijing Opera training school version? I just had the mental image of the Bobby (in his full regalia) doing a swinging body kick.

Who needs guns and body armor when you can dodge bullets?

Skorzeny
Old May 20, 2002, 07:46 PM   #5
Azrael256

No, not Kung-Fu... Wang Fu...
Attached Images
File Type: gif wangfu_pop.gif (9.0 KB, 174 views)
Old May 24, 2002, 04:36 PM   #6
Justin

Neo:
"I know Kung-Fu!"
Morpheus:
"Show me."

The idea of a British Bobby doing the whole rooftop-dodging-bullets move just seems somehow so Monty Python to me.
Old May 24, 2002, 05:46 PM   #7
Simonh

Well, you know they're not going to say "We need guns...lots of guns."
Old May 24, 2002, 06:53 PM   #8
KSFreeman

"We need white flags . . . lots of white flags."
Old May 24, 2002, 08:52 PM   #9
Fred Hansen

"We need Vaseline, lots of Vaseline." :barf:
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old May 25, 2002, 08:23 AM   #10
Lofland

Drizzt, could you please provide us with a link to that story? It's funny, but totally inaccurate. Tony Blauer is indeed going to London to train 17(not 22) different agencies in his SPEAR System Certification course, according to an email I got from his site this week. However, his SPEAR System has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Matrix bullet-dodging moves. It's actually a very practical system that a lot of Firing Line members would appreciate, since emphasizes what works in the real world, just like a lot of the best firearms training.

This whole article is tongue-in-cheek, and the constable must've been making a joke. If you want to ask Tony himself about his system, feel free to post a message on his forum, the Mental Edge forum on www.mma.tv.. You can read about his system at www.tonyblauer.com, or in a recent cover story in Black Belt magazine.
Old May 27, 2002, 02:20 PM   #11
Gomez

Lofland is dead-on. Tony Blauer's stuff is top-notch training. While I've not had the privledge of training with Tony, I have viewed many of his video tapes and have incorporated several of his training drills and ideas into my training. I've also used his tactical SPEAR in more force-on-force encounters than I can count and used it "for real" on the job several times.

Utterly un-Matrix-y, realworld, solid, well researched stuff.

Gomez