The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 9, 2021, 05:06 PM   #1
cmdc

S&W Bodyguard.380

Anyone have one, and if so, what do you think?
Old June 9, 2021, 07:26 PM   #2
ciwsguy

Yes.
What do I think? Small enough to pocket.
Lightweight enough.
Kicks pretty hard for a short barreled SA.
I have a tough time getting enough hand on the frame since it is so small.
Would I sell it? Yes. I have more handguns that carry more rounds and are much more comfortable to shoot.
Also when you can find 380 ammo, it’s nearly twice the price of 9x19.
Old June 9, 2021, 07:45 PM   #3
Carl the Floor Walker

I had one, nicely built firearm, shoots smooth. Did not care for the safety on a DAO. Liked the fact that it had second strike capability. I prefer the Pico and the Kahr, which are smoother shooters and like the triggers better, I just ended up not shooting it as much, but still a lot to like about the gun. I gave it to my son who still speaks highly of it. I do not think you could go wrong on a purchase if you like the way it feels in your hand.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 9, 2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old June 9, 2021, 08:11 PM   #4
603Country

I have one. With the finger grip magazine, I can get a good grip on it. Not a bad recoil at all, and NOW I reload 380 since I can’t buy any.

One thing about the pistol that’s worthy of mention is the trigger pull, which is long. Not a great trigger pull, so I bought the Santiago replacement trigger and had it installed. Now the trigger pull is pretty darn good.

Mine has the safety, which I wanted. You can leave it on or off.

I carry it in a front pocket, in one of those sticky holsters that stay in the pocket when I take the pistol out. It’s the only pistol I could find, after a long search, that fit so well in the pocket, being a small thin little pistol. Bottom line, with the new trigger and the tritium night sights, I’m very happy with it.
Old June 9, 2021, 08:51 PM   #5
MJ45

i have one also. bought it to have at one of my daughters wedding. i used an ankle holster, worked great, use it anytime i dress up and can't carry iwb. handy in pocket carry holster as well as standard iwb. i carry it anytime i can't afford to be made carrying. of course the spare mags are easy to conceal also. for several years after i first bought it i really loaded up on ammo. that was a smart move...
it is actually quite nice to shoot, i have no trouble shooting a hundred rounds or more in one outing. it is incredibly small for the bang, not many smaller, really nice quality in the build.
Old June 10, 2021, 07:55 AM   #6
jar

Have one and like it. Of the micro 380s it get the second most chances to go WalkAbout.
Old June 10, 2021, 08:41 AM   #7
cmdc

Thanks all, for the replies. So jar, I’m curious as to what micro 380 gets the most chances to go walkabout?
Old June 10, 2021, 08:52 AM   #8
jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdc View Post
Thanks all, for the replies. So jar, I’m curious as to what micro 380 gets the most chances to go walkabout?
I have several options in 380 and based on history they get to go WalkAbout as follows.

Most often since 1993: Sig P230.

Most often in the last decade:

Remington RM 380
S&W M&P Bodyguard 380
Sig P230
Sig P290RS 380
Beretta Pico

There is also a Ruger LCP (the latest iteration of the LCP) buit it almost never gets out.
Old June 10, 2021, 09:42 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

Don't have one. Have shot one one 2 separate occasions. Hated it. seemed overly snappy for the size and caliber. IMHO the trigger was terrible. basically a double action only revolver pull, long and heavy. For me it was a solid no go. not a bad gun, but definitely not what I was looking for.

the Ruger LCP I liked a LOT better.
Old June 11, 2021, 11:06 AM   #10
wild cat mccane

The LCP is better in my hand. Meh
Old June 11, 2021, 01:52 PM   #11
603Country

As I mentioned earlier, I like the gun, but tolerated the trigger pull. Then I had the trigger replaced with the Santiago trigger. Much better now.
Old June 12, 2021, 06:26 AM   #12
rodfac

I've had one since they came out...bought it for my wife's purse carry which didn't work out...it's small enough but she's refused to carry now that the riots have toned down. I'll preface my remarks by saying I'm a 50+ year revolver shooter...a lot of DA experience over the years, so the long pull on the Bodyguard or the P365 Sig does not bother me...in fact I feel it contributes to a safer gun for pocket or IWB carry.

I carry a P365 when I go into the city, but usually something much bigger here on the farm. I do carry the Bodyguard, mostly OWB in a home made holster that's easily concealable under most any shirt/jacket or T not tucked in. But when we're going dressed up, coat and tie, the Bodyguard is often the choice...slipped into a shirt breast pocket or right front pants. It's small enough to hide the 'print' factor, and still give us some protection when out.

I've put 1000+ round through this one, reloads mostly, and using a variety of bullets. For the most part, I load with Montana Gold 95 gr JHP's for carry. They feed & fire 100%(as do all of the 95-100 grain bullets I've tried). I'd rate it outstanding from a reliability standpoint.

Accuracy has been pretty good, ~2" from 8 yds with Hornady boutique carry rounds and the Montana Golds.

While the grip is short, both my wife and I find it no problem for use. And as a further note, neither of us uses the laser or safety...both inconvenient to access.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; June 12, 2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old June 12, 2021, 07:53 AM   #13
Carl the Floor Walker

Deleted, too much info My bad.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; June 12, 2021 at 08:57 AM.
Old June 17, 2021, 05:03 PM   #14
adamBomb

I've had it for several years now and its my EDC as I can easily pocket carry it no matter what I am wearing. I would love to replace it with something in 9mm with 10 rounds but just can't find anything I like as much as the bodyguard. Hammer with a safety that can be engaged when the hammer is down is key for me and I wish SW would make a 9mm version.
Old July 10, 2021, 05:07 AM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

Was at the LGS yesterday to test out the Ruger Fat Max. While I was there, they had a Body guard for a reasonable price. It is a excellent gun. Well built and I liked the Trigger. Actually I almost bought it, but realized that I just do not need it with my other 380's and 380 ammo is too precious to enjoy a new gun with. If this were normal times, I would be the owner of one for sure.
If I were in the Market and it was between the Fat MAX and the body guard, it would be no contest. The body guard would be the clear winner.
Old July 10, 2021, 09:55 AM   #16
603Country

Yep. Carl, that’s why I reluctantly started loading 380. I wanted to shoot my 380’s but ammo was scarce. I already had brass, primers, and powder. All I needed were bullets and enthusiasm to load for one more caliber. Bullets were easy to find. Enthusiasm took some time…
Old July 10, 2021, 04:39 PM   #17
kymasabe

Had one. Hated it. Was ammo picky and unreliable. My Remingtom RM380 is a far better pistol.
Old July 10, 2021, 07:11 PM   #18
603Country

That’s interesting..that yours was unreliable. I’ve run an assortment of ammo and reloads through mine and not a single failure of any kind.
Old July 18, 2021, 11:17 PM   #19
Mosin44az

Mine was unreliable also. Wouldn’t work even after being sent back to Smith & Wesson. Maybe quality control is better now.

At the time, I tried it because it had better sights than my LCP and was less painful to shoot. But I still have my LCP because of reliability, and the Hogue wraparound cushions recoil well enough. LCP sights and triggers are better now also.
Old July 21, 2021, 05:58 PM   #20
imp

Maybe I got lucky, mine has been 100% reliable. Overall, I like mine, but the slide will bite if you grip too high, and since its small, its hard not to go for a high grip.
Old July 22, 2021, 07:57 AM   #21
great scot

Have one sitting in my pocket right now. Been very reliable, and recoil is less than the LCP I also own. I put a little orange paint on front sight, stuck on some Talon grips, and load it with Hornady XTPs. Nice little gun. The Crimson Trace laser works well, but I don’t use it. Just easier to line up the sights.