The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 10:18 AM   #1
Pistoler0

Ban the Remington 700 in .308, not the AR-15, as weapon of war!!

According to the Army, these are their personal weapons:

About the Army: weapons

The AR-15 is not there, because although it looks similar to the M4, it is not the same and everybody knows that it is not capable fully automatic fire.

But the "weapon of war" in their list? The Remington 700 in 7.62x51 bolt action rifle (M24 Sniper Weapon System).

Thus if "weapons of war" should be kept from civilian hands, it is bolt actions in .308 caliber and above that should be restricted and not the AR-15.

My point is that of course the whole "weapon of war" narrative is silly. ALL WEAPONS are WEAPONS OF WAR. The bow an arrow was a weapon of war.

I think that this is the point that we should emphasize when antis try to steer the narrative on gun control towards the reasonableness of trying to keep "weapons of war" out of people's hands.

This narrative is just a ploy to control any and all gun ownership, because the inconsistency in the logic is that most modern hunting weapons are an evolution of a weapon of war, or are in fact weapons that are actively used by modern armies today!

Controlling "weapons of war" means regulating ("abridging" in the language of 2A) ALL firearms! Indeed, all weapons.

Last edited by Pistoler0; May 10, 2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old May 10, 2021, 12:11 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

I get your point, but your phrasing leaves something to be desired. First off, one should NEVER give the Anti's any reason, information or argument to ban something they are not already going after....

We found that out the hard way when we argued against banning "assault weapons" because they were not mechanically different from other, "allowed" semi autos...
Their response was to add ALL semi autos to their "evil must be banned/restricted" list.

Second point, about the whole "weapons of war" argument, I refer you to Tenche Cox, and others of the Founders on the matter...

Quote:
. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American … the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.

–Tenche Coxe, Pennsylvania delegate to the Continental Congress, The Pennsylvania Gazette, on Feb. 20, 1788.
Old May 10, 2021, 01:26 PM   #3
Pistoler0

That is a GREAT quote.
Old May 11, 2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Certainly a valid point, but not a L&CR topic. There is no law, no current bill, no statute or legal principle at issue here. Just a discussion of what we could or should do.